+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opinions and Validity.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Opinions and Validity.

Me and a friend were debating earlier about a topic that I won't get in to right now--maybe later. Anywho, we got in to a bigger debate because I told him that he's acting like my opinion isn't valid. He said that it isn't because he believes it isn't right.

Now he and I have already had this debate (after he said the aformentioned statement), I wanna know what you think. Do you think that when someone gives you an answer and they stay on topic, they--and you--know they have a good grasp on what they're talkin' about, they're not givin' an answer without a good explination and they're not sayin' things that are completely random/ignorant; is thier opinion any more or less valid than yours?

Aren't all our opinions equal, regardless of whether we agree or not?

We can disagree, but my answer would be just as legitimate as yours until someone proves the other wrong with actual facts, right? So until there is an actual fact put in to play, wouldn't your opinion be just as valid as anyone elses?

*Discuss*

Otaku lapislazuli is off to a good start lapislazuli's Avatar
    48° 07' – 48° 19' N 16° 11' – 16° 34' E or short: behind you.
    Thanks

Re: Opinions and Validity.

I agree with you. Of course everyone's opinion is the same. Except that it is some crap not meant seriously, I think every opinion is of the same validity.
    Even if you'd be proven to be wrong, you're opinion as such still is as valid as everyone's else I think ... For me, an opinion isn't less valid just because it might be wrong.
    You are now breathing manually. :P

E&OE;

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lapislazuli View Post
    I agree with you. Of course everyone's opinion is the same. Except that it is some crap not meant seriously, I think every opinion is of the same validity.
    Even if you'd be proven to be wrong, you're opinion as such still is as valid as everyone's else I think ... For me, an opinion isn't less valid just because it might be wrong.
    That's the whole point I was tryin' to make. Just because I might be wrong, I still have a vaild opinion. Scientists make up theorys of time travel--something that we are incapable of doing. Yet, there are scientists who will debate about the possibility; each having their own valid opinion.

So when you're talkin' about somethin' on a different topic (outside of science), why is it that there are people who feel like your opinion doesn't matter, or isn't valid?

Otaku Franco is off to a good start Franco's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    That's the whole point I was tryin' to make. Just because I might be wrong, I still have a vaild opinion. Scientists make up theorys of time travel--something that we are incapable of doing. Yet, there are scientists who will debate about the possibility; each having their own valid opinion.

So when you're talkin' about somethin' on a different topic (outside of science), why is it that there are people who feel like your opinion doesn't matter, or isn't valid?
    Because they don't agree with how you reached that opinion and therefore they have to show you or tell you that you are wrong because they feel that you have not thought it out all the way or that you are missing a key fact which invalidates your opinion, etc., etc. look at christianity, there is one god, but how many different form's of christians are out there, people have different interpretations because we are individuals, if we were all the same people and walk the same and thought the same then their would be no conflict and we would not be talking about this because we would all share the same opinion, but it is good to have different opinion because then we will not learn anything about each other.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm going to sum this discussion up in one simple phrase:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just like I'm entitled not to care.

Doesn't matter if someones opinion is valid according to you, since you calling it invalid is just an opinion.

Make sense?

Newbie Jitsan is off to a good start
    Thanks

Well put everyone, but my opinion is that a stated opinion should be coherent to the matter at hand, make since logically, and have a great deal of truth to it.

I think those criteria would be best when making opinions; otherwise, the opinion would not have enough validity to matter.

For example, when someone says, "Your mom's gay!" his/her stated opinion is unfriendly, contains no logic or reasoning, and probably has little coherency. Overall, I'd say this is a poorly stated opinion and earns no validity.

Now you may ask, "well what would be a valid opinion?"
    The answer is, great opinions depend on the content and reasoning.
    It could also depend on the person you speak to...
    Some people may just be assholes about it.

I think a great opinion would be as follows:
    "You should state your opinions before really discussing validity."
    To one and all, a future!

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

An opinion is an opinion. But it doesn't sound to me like your argument was over an opinion. It sounds like it was about something to be right or wrong about, something that could be proven by fact (like you said). And thusly I can see where your friend felt like your -opinion- wasn't valid, because he knew the FACT to prove what he was saying as right, and thusly KNEW your opinion was invalid. Because opinion doesn't change fact, and so just because in your opinion you were right, doesn't change the -facts- of the matter at hand and thusly makes it invalid.

But that's just my own opinion.

Besides I know from experience you always think your right.
    So sometimes those of us around you have to just roll our eyes and let your opinion be invalid quietly because we KNOW better, but don't have proper proof to show YOU that we know better.
    Last edited by bratling; Feb 12, 2009 at 07:18 AM. Reason: addition.

You never really loved me/You never really cared/It was all just a game to boost your ego/Those feelings never really there/ I'm filing emotional bankruptcy/My heart can take no more debt/Theres no more "money" there to spend. === Besides tee hee SHE loves me!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Because they don't agree with how you reached that opinion and therefore they have to show you or tell you that you are wrong because they feel that you have not thought it out all the way or that you are missing a key fact which invalidates your opinion, etc., etc. look at christianity, there is one god, but how many different form's of christians are out there, people have different interpretations because we are individuals, if we were all the same people and walk the same and thought the same then their would be no conflict and we would not be talking about this because we would all share the same opinion, but it is good to have different opinion because then we will not learn anything about each other.
    ChaosTempest and I had this discussion earlier and we've ruled out using religion as a possible example for this debate. You're talkin' about a difference of opinion based on faith and not fact. You'll never be able to compare faiths and prove who's wrong. We're talking about when you're debating about something TANGIBLE. Until there is a fact to back it up, does that mean your opinion is any more or less valid then the next guy?

Bratling and Aceman, you two make a lot of sense and I can agree with you entirely. An opinion is simply an opinion. But just because it's an opinion, doesn't it deserve to be treated like it's a valid thought? It's not like I'm havin' discussions like, "You're mom's retarded," or "If a Karate master and a Kung-fu master got in a fight; the zombie would win," LOL.

And yes, bratling, I do tend to have that "I'm always right," attitude. But I still treat everyone's opinion as valid, regardless if I agree or not. I'd expect the same. ^_^

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast