+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opinions and Validity.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Opinions and Validity.

You mentioned time travel earlier, which is just as un-"tangible" as faith.

I feel as though this whole opinion discussion is in sorts a pointless battle. Validity, should not be something you seek in an OPINION of another.

With opinion no one can truley judge the validity of a statement. They can judge weather or not it is valid to them (their opinion), but in your own quest for knowledge, what is valid to someone else should not be so important to you.

If you are indeed talking about something tangible, that can be backed up with fact. Then you need to seek those facts. Those facts are truely the only things that can validate an opinion, not another opinion.

Scientists will always have conflicting theories until fact throws something out and narrows things down... making certain theorys valid, and others not so much. But that is not to say, until that point comes... The individaul scientists would have to believe thier theory is RIGHT (more so than the others). Otherwise what would be the point in creating said theory, or having said opinion. Even if you arent sure of the facts, people don't ususally state opinions that they don't already have some belief in.

You say faith is intangible, but backing an opinion without having facts is a matter of believing (theorizing or educated guessing) on what you do not know for sure... That is basically having faith that what you're saying could be right.

Point being, opinion is just as intangible as faith.

This sounds like a conversation one would have under the influence.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Any opinion regardless of how much they contradict is still just as valid as any one else’s. The difference being is the source of information for said opinion.
    You can say "I believe that the sky will turn purple next year." Of cores people will think your nuts, but that’s your opinion. The question of opinions validness is based on the information that brought you to this thought and opinion. Once you bring forth this information to others is when you bring its validness to question.
    Now another person will bring forth their opinion as to why the sky will not turn purple next year. When comparing the evidence and information that brought about these opinions is where you test their validness.
    Now if both sides do not bring forth any information as to why they believe the sky will or will not turn purple next year, then both opinions are valid as neither side brought it's validness into question by divulging the information that brought you to this opinion.
    This comparison is where it turns into a debate. Debates are brought about by sharing each others opinion by giving information on said topic, and in the end each a conclusion as to which one has more validness then the other (who is right or wrong) where both parties eventually come to an agreement or comprimise on who has the most validness based on evidence and information.
    The difference between an argument and a debate is rather clear. Both involve the expression of passionate feelings for ones own opinion or those who share the same opinion, how ever in an argument is where people let their feelings judge the validness of their opinion rather then fact and information. In which case, the person or both parties who judge their opinion based on their feelings rather then evidence and information are invalid.
    Both argument and debates have strong expressions and feelings for their sides opinion, the difference is that in debates, the validness of said opinion is based on evidence and information, where as in arguments its validness are based on feelings.
    Last edited by Scourge; Feb 12, 2009 at 11:01 AM.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Newbie Sukinamini is off to a good start Sukinamini's Avatar
    Thanks

I..I think all opinions are valid nothing should be denied you should say how you feel about what ever (to an extent) their only words.
    If love is happiness
    and happiness is eternal
    why is their so much hate?

Otaku Franco is off to a good start Franco's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]ChaosTempest and I had this discussion earlier and we've ruled out using religion as a possible example for this debate. You're talkin' about a difference of opinion based on faith and not fact. You'll never be able to compare faiths and prove who's wrong. We're talking about when you're debating about something TANGIBLE. Until there is a fact to back it up, does that mean your opinion is any more or less valid then the next guy?
    So if I talked about "poilitics" instead of using "religion" in my thought would that have made more sense b/c you can see gov., I used religion to share a point that if it is a tangible or intangible opinion, everybody has different thought about why their opinion is valid and why it is valid, it doesn't matter that only tangible items are valid for debate because like you said "You'll never be able to compare faiths and prove who's wrong." that is the point about opinions that I was trying to make, because only you can change your opinion so their is no right or wrong answers to a question or thought, it just depends on you if you believe in your own opinion. but I will respect your thread and if I post again I will not use religion in this thread again, like I said I just wanted to show that it doesn't matter if you are right or wrong, what matters is, do you believe in your own opinion, that to me is what makes an opinion valid. like someone said before, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Otaku Skeleton Park Champion, The Streaker Champion Rabanastre is off to a good start
    Thanks

Finally some one who understands the fact most people either have or don't have the same opinion and that most people don't stay on task and give the response you want.
    His bell is tolling for you

He wants you to come home

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    ChaosTempest and I had this discussion earlier and we've ruled out using religion as a possible example for this debate. You're talkin' about a difference of opinion based on faith and not fact. You'll never be able to compare faiths and prove who's wrong. We're talking about when you're debating about something TANGIBLE. Until there is a fact to back it up, does that mean your opinion is any more or less valid then the next guy?

Bratling and Aceman, you two make a lot of sense and I can agree with you entirely. An opinion is simply an opinion. But just because it's an opinion, doesn't it deserve to be treated like it's a valid thought? It's not like I'm havin' discussions like, "You're mom's retarded," or "If a Karate master and a Kung-fu master got in a fight; the zombie would win," LOL.

And yes, bratling, I do tend to have that "I'm always right," attitude. But I still treat everyone's opinion as valid, regardless if I agree or not. I'd expect the same. ^_^
    Yes the opinion is still...valid as an opinion, but when one has -fact- to prove them right to themselves why would they find your OPINION valid rather then what they know to be fact?

You never really loved me/You never really cared/It was all just a game to boost your ego/Those feelings never really there/ I'm filing emotional bankruptcy/My heart can take no more debt/Theres no more "money" there to spend. === Besides tee hee SHE loves me!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bratling For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Feb 12, 2009)

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly, because what is an opinion? An opinion is an idea based off of a sorce or information. How ever the sorce and the information can always be brought into quest for their validness, which can make the opinion either valid, or invalid.
    Respecting some ones opinion is far different then that person validness of said opinion.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    You mentioned time travel earlier, which is just as un-"tangible" as faith.

I feel as though this whole opinion discussion is in sorts a pointless battle. Validity, should not be something you seek in an OPINION of another.
    No religious faith has been proven accurate or even true. Theories about time travel are based on scientific facts that've already been proven--for the most part. It's not like they're sayin', "Let's go out and get a Delorian!" Opinions in faith--no matter if they're agreed upon or not--are just as valid as the other.

I never said that anyone had to seek validity, but be treated as their opinion matters just as much as anyone elses. When you have a conversation with someone, is your opinion the only one that matters? Isn't one person's opinion/words just as legit as the next?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast