Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Parallel Universes?!

Otaku Oldmagic may be famous one day Oldmagic may be famous one day Oldmagic's Avatar
    Thanks

Parallel Universes?!

Do you believe it is possible? I don't mean going to another parallel universe. I just mean theoretically. You know, for every cause there is an effect. Some things that didn't happen in our universes happened in another. Or rather created another where it did happen.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Parallel Universes?!

Has some one been watching to much sliders?
    For me, it just seems so unrealistic too far fetched.
    But hey? anything could be possible

Otaku Oldmagic may be famous one day Oldmagic may be famous one day Oldmagic's Avatar
    Thanks

I have no idea what Sliders are. This is a serious discussion i'm bringing up.

A multiverse is a set of many universes. There are many specific uses of the concept, as well as systems in which a multiverse is proposed to exist in. It can mean:

In physics and cosmology:

* Multiverse (science), a consequence of some scientific theories which results in conclusions necessitating more than one universe. This is often a result of attempts to rationalize the underlying mathematics in quantum theory to cosmology.
    o The Many-worlds interpretation of quantum physics, which proposes an alternative to wavefunction collapse. Every non-deterministic event actually "splits" the world into both branches.
    o Bubble universe theory (also known as Bubble theory), in which new universes bud off from old ones.
    o Oscillatory universe, a theory that the universe undergoes infinite "Big Crunches" followed by "Big Bangs." Each universe succeeds the next.
    o Chaotic inflation theory, which proposes an open multiverse theory.

There are many theories floating out there to explain naturally occuring phenomenon. Someone usually states a theory to support his other theory and since no one can disprove them they float around. While not pertinent to this topic even quite a few of Einstien's theories which were accpeted back in the times have been now disproved and replaced.

The chaos theory also sounds surreal that the wing beat of a butterfly can cause a tornado half-way around the globe. But since nobody has taken the efforts to prove otherwise it still floats around(makes you wonder if humans are the more dangerous species or are butterflies.

Hence the small lingering doubt will always be there regarding such possibilities.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

no offense meant ^^ I understand it's a serious discussion
    Sliders is a show about exactly what we are discussing - parallel universes

Once again everything is just theories, no real hard evidence - or maybe it's just that we don't have the technology yet gain this evidence.

Newbie kiara may be famous one day kiara may be famous one day kiara's Avatar
    NY USA hanging out with the teen titans lol
    Thanks

Ah the good ol Membrane Theory =) I think it's very possible there could be different universes. We shall have to wait until later in 07 if it's true or not cant wait =o I'm into metaphysics so I personally think anything is possible!

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

My paper The Structure of the Multiverse ([quant-ph/0104033] The Structure of the Multiverse, which appeared in Proceedings of the Royal Society A458 2028 2911-23 (2002), explains how the structure of the multiverse – and in particular, the way in which some parts of it consist, to a good approximation, of parallel universes – is determined by the way in which information flows in it. But before that, you should read:

Information Flow in Entangled Quantum Systems by myself and Patrick Hayden, which appeared in Proceedings of the Royal Society A456, 1759-1774 (2000), explains how, despite conventional wisdom and a great deal of futile work by many researchers in the foundations of quantum theory, there are no non-local effects of any kind, detectable or undetectable, in quantum physics.

Quantum Theory of Probability and Decisions, which appeared in Proceedings of the Royal Society A455, 3129-3197 (1999), is about what probability really is, and how the quantum theory of a deterministic multiverse, without any probabilistic assumptions, makes probabilistic predictions.

See also the following papers by David Wallace:

Everettian Rationality: defending Deutsch's approach to probability in the Everett interpretation
    Quantum Probability from Subjective Likelihood: improving on Deutsch's proof of the probability rule
    And other papers on his web site.

Michael Clive Price's FAQ on the Everett Interpretation. I do not necessarily endorse everything in it, but it does indeed answer many frequently asked questions correctly and is a good non-technical introduction to what the theory is about.

This draft biography of Hugh Everett by Eugene B. Shikhovtsev contains many fascinating details about Everett's personal and intellectual life. For instance, there is the story of how Everett, aged 12, wrote to Einstein, and what Einstein replied
    my self i think it is possible theoretically i have
    a link if you want to know more http://www.hep.upenn.edu/~max/multiverse.pdf
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

I would say I believe in the possibility of dimensions, but not of parallel universes (in the sense that was suggested of the parallel universe reflecting the opposite choices of our own).

That would mean that Universe 2.0 would be a slave to Universe 1, because #2 would have to follow the opposites of #1, meaning that it was directly controlled by #1. Universe #2 would serve no function then, and shouldn't exist at all. It would also bring up the problem of ones own self, because THIS universe could technically be #2, meaning that I am not writing this and am not a free thinking being, because I am being controlled by the actions of my alternate self, making my life a sham.

Nature would have no need for an existence of a 2nd Universe, because despite being parallel they WOULD be interacting since one would be controlled by the other. Also, let's say Universe #1 was struck by a meteor, everyone dies.....Universe #2 theoretically should exist, as it was opposite, but it can't since it was a slave to Universe #1.

Now, dimensions seem more plausible than alternate universes, because it doesn't rely on the actions of another dimension, with each being completely seperate.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Shichibukai JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie's Avatar
    Thanks

I am not really observant so i have really no idea at all,though it is possible that such things exists even though there isn't any evidence yet.We humans are very inqusitive and wanting to know more would attempt to find out about it at any rate.Based on what there is in Physics and cosmology,we could use the facts that we have gathered and make speculations which we then try to experiment on it to find out.Basically the scientific method could be used.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast