+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The personal lives of our leaders: Should it be our business?

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

The personal lives of our leaders: Should it be our business?

I was talking with one of my friends, an American living in Israel, and we started talking about who will win the presidential election. I said it'll either Obama or Clinton, and that McCain doesn't have a snowballs chance on the surface of the sun.

Well, once I said Clinton, it immediately brought up the Lewinsky scandal, and that any woman who stays with a man who cheated on her isn't fit to lead a country.

So, I was like, what?

It is seriously beyond all my comprehension why the hell something like that would determine if someone is fit for public office. The scandal aside, what Clinton did was wrong, he broke the law by lying under oath.

Now here's where I stop understanding things: In Canada it would have been a non issue, a media circus yes, but the whole problem would have never have made it to court (and has such, no chance of lying under oath), and last I checked, adultery isn't illegal in the United States, grounds for divorce, yes, but not illegal.

Canada has had its fair share of Prime Ministers who have had problems. Our first Prime Minister, the Right Honorable Sir John A. MacDonald, was a chronic Alcoholic, and was known to be drunk while in office. Even the best Prime Minister we ever had, Pierre Trudeau had issues, he was a womanizer and it was public knowledge that he beat his wife. Did this affect how they did their jobs? No, in fact, both men were reelected.

So I ask this: What is the big deal with knowing our leaders personal lives, then basing their eligibility to carry out public office on it?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The personal lives of our leaders: Should it be our business?

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    So I ask this: What is the big deal with knowing our leaders personal lives, then basing their eligibility to carry out public office on it?
    It is only a deal if what they have done shows a lack of integrity. If they will lie and cheat on their family why should they care less about constituents they have never met? Since they are supposed to represent me I want a leader that will give a care about me too.

If their personal actions have nothing to do with that I couldn't care less and feel it is nobodies business.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm more concerned about a leader who will get the job done and look after the interests of their constituency.

I want a leader who can do their job regardless of what is going on at home or in their personal lives. There's something to be said about putting aside their lives and personal interests and putting their full effort into serving their office.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    I'm more concerned about a leader who will get the job done and look after the interests of their constituency.
    So am I, that is why I want someone with integrity. If they have no integrity I have no guarantee they will care about their job or their constituency instead of just lying to everyone and getting as much power and money out of it as they can.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Devoted Otaku Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan may be famous one day Shodokan's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the personal lives of our leaders has nothing to do with us. Bill Clinton did nothing illegal and the media should have left it alone. That was his business and not ours. I voted for Obama but I wanted to tell his wife to shut up when she said Hillary shouldn't be president since her husband cheated on her.

And Arianna just because someone gets drunk or has a girlfriend while they're married doesn't mean they don't have intergrity. As long as they do they're job while they do have intergrity.
    Last edited by Shodokan; Mar 11, 2008 at 08:40 PM.

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

My answer to that would be political rival-ship.......
    It is about power in politics and the more the person had power the more enemies he or she is going to have and the more their enemies want to ruin them.....and the best way to do that is to catch them doing something they are not "supposed" to do and put it through the media and then the rest is history....the news will spread like wild-fire through TV and through newspapers.....and then that person is finished..because no matter if the scandal is true or not....his or her image was ruined....and that was the prime goal for the political enemies....
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

Thanks

I like how you ignored my second statement, Arianna.

If you had the choice between someone who lacked personal integrity when it came to his family life, but would lead the nation into a golden age of prosperity, or a person who embodied every family value that you held dear and had the integrity of ten men but knew that they were an imbecile (Two extremes, I know, but you get my point), which would you choose?

And Shadokan, I want to know how you voted for Obama when the democratic ticket hasn't even been set yet.

NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Thanks

umm i dont really see a big problem really like with the Prime minister being a drunk and stuff i just hope he wasn't drunk when he was making decisions thats when i say there is a problem. like if they keep their lives seperate i dont see a problem.

and what happens in their life is their own business. Now unless he the president like kills someoen then we should know but like people cheating on other people we have it all the time. So i dont think it should matter just because Clinton was president. it happens. i say get over it .

~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast