+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pinoys...identity crisis for life.

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

pinoys...identity crisis for life.

since philippines has been "invaded" by china, spain, america, japan and now korea; it's culture, language, race, and etc. has merged and forever be changed. hense, an identity crisis has emerged until now. it's almost impossible to say that a real filipino exists because mostly filipinos are half chinese, spanish, american, japanese, and now...korean. to a pinoy, you can say that i'm a filipino but what kind of a filipino? an identity crisis indeed.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: pinoys...identity crisis for life.

I can see that you're worried about losing an ethnic and national identity, and I can't really berate you for that, but the Filipino culture, language, and people seem to be thriving. And interracial relationships aren't really all that bad; I'm 1/32 Chinese, while rest of my blood is also Pinoy, and I've still retained my cultural heritage.

The merging of cultures isn't always a bad thing; if I recall correctly, the Byzantine Empire was a mixing pot of different cultural influences, though predominantly Greek.
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abby724 View Post
    I can see that you're worried about losing an ethnic and national identity, and I can't really berate you for that, but the Filipino culture, language, and people seem to be thriving. And interracial relationships aren't really all that bad; I'm 1/32 Chinese, while rest of my blood is also Pinoy, and I've still retained my cultural heritage.

The merging of cultures isn't always a bad thing; if I recall correctly, the Byzantine Empire was a mixing pot of different cultural influences, though predominantly Greek.
    no...just saying that it's an inevitable scenario for our "kind". it maybe good and bad still...it's an identity crisis.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Uh... so?

Ever heard of this place called the United States of America? Canada? Great Britain? Vietnam? Hong Kong? South Africa? O-o; Just because a place is racially/ethnically mixed doesn't mean it's people have no sense of identity or self-worth?

I'm an Irish/Romanian/Roma(gypsy)/Hungarian-American with a 1st generation Chinese stepfather schooled,living and working in rural Japan. And I know ~exactly~ who I am.

If things go with the current flow: my children will be bi-lingual Irish/Romanian/Roma/Hungarian/Japanese/Americans with a Chinese grandfather and a transexual godfather(mother?).

Hopefully they'll be more interesting for it.

Otaku Evol may be famous one day Evol may be famous one day Evol's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't fret about the mixed blood causing a national identity crisis. One of my best friends is mostly Filipino with a mix of African American and Chinese. She is supremely proud of being Pinay and her country and people. She is also proud of her mixed family and glad to be exposed to the other side of the cultural spectrum. I can't see any heritage faltering because their people are becoming more mixed and therefore more globally aware, sympathetic even.

being half Korean myself I can sort of see what you think is a dilemma but to be honest its a strength and gives one a unique perpective and life experience.

is On Point Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi is making a name for themselves Abu Dhabi's Avatar
    Thanks

^_^ my Darling is Philippino... and from what i've seen and what he's told me, there's no real danger of Philippines losing it's culture...

i mean the food's the same, the humor is the same, the people are the same, heck! even the shows haven't changed at all over the years! like every other "mixed" country, Philippines take what they like from each culture and adds it to their own...

^_^ color makes the world go 'round...

Otaku pink_hana may be famous one day pink_hana may be famous one day
    Thanks

I'm a filipino and proud to be one...
    there's nothing wrong to be half or watever ryt???
    we still have the same cuture...^^,

"Never tell a man that you love him until he has declared his undying love for you."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Uh... so?

Ever heard of this place called the United States of America? Canada? Great Britain? Vietnam? Hong Kong? South Africa? O-o; Just because a place is racially/ethnically mixed doesn't mean it's people have no sense of identity or self-worth?

I'm an Irish/Romanian/Roma(gypsy)/Hungarian-American with a 1st generation Chinese stepfather schooled,living and working in rural Japan. And I know ~exactly~ who I am.

If things go with the current flow: my children will be bi-lingual Irish/Romanian/Roma/Hungarian/Japanese/Americans with a Chinese grandfather and a transexual godfather(mother?).

Hopefully they'll be more interesting for it.
    nope...can't compare to a pinoy. to understand...you have to be one. and just when did i ever say that's a bad thing? it's just an identity crisis but not a problem...to a pinoy that is.

btw, for those who are pinoy...what's your plan for the chinese new year? pls. discuss.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast