Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirated DVD's Money for terrorism? or a good buy?

Otaku fled79 may be famous one day fled79 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: Pirated DVD's Money for terrorism? or a good buy?

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Last I remember, bootleg DVDs were made by regular people like us, who are just trying to make an extra buck. I've purchased most of my bootlegs from some random black dude each time--otherwise, I burn them myself. Unless the people in my neighborhood and at my job are terrorists, I'm not sweatin' it.

It's just some frickin' plastic with a little bit of data on it! Like three dollars is gonna fund Iran's nuclear budget! OMG! Really? >_< Get serious everybody!
    One of the reasons I brought terrorism into the picture is because I'm in Iraq. I always hear these people saying not to buy them because you could be funding terrorists...Do you know where the money goes?.....

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fled79 View Post
    I will honestly say that if I knew for a FACT that the DVD's I was buying were being produced by a terrorist hence funding his/her/their efforts that I would stop buying them.
    Yes if you knew the fact then you might not buy it. What if you found out the shampoo you use funds terrorism. I mean alot of things can fund them but what could you really do even if you stop buying it others do it too.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

I'm confused what is the conection between pirated DVD's and terrorism?
    About the pirated DVD's, from an ecenomical view it could be considerd wrong.
    But it dosn,t realy hurt people, most people in the movie industrie have a pretty good salery aspecialy producers, actors, directers, and investers.
    I dont think the have anything to complane about there making milions of dollars evry year.
    And the same thing go,s for the musci indusdrie!
    I don,t really now how it is in the Anime indusdrie so i wont pas judgment on that.

The only DVD,s i got are The Matrix collection witch i got legaly at a shop, The rest of the entertainment i watch and listen is al an the Internet.

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

I'm against buying pirated copies, for many of the reasons already mentioned above. I'm really into the movie industry and I support it by buying good quality non-pirated copies of movies and hire them. I've worked in a Video Store for a while. If everyone was buying pirated copies or downloading from the net, I would have been out of a job.

Yeah sure, those people in the Film industry will have good pays, but I certainly don't, and when I was working in the video store it was the same, basically if people didn't come in, I wouldn't have had a pay, and the owners wouldn't have a store. Could you imagine if more people downloaded from the net, or brought pirated copies, instead of coming into a video store? or instead of going and buying it in a DVD store? It could be a big loss of income for those people. I guess we are lucky that the majority of people aren't doing it.

And as for terrisom, I think if the majority of people knew where the money was going, they wouldn't buy it.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

But in the long run, Pirated products of any kind is not a good buy. Besides presenting a inferior product, they also kill the profit margins for the Anime producers. I these companies can no longer make money producing Anime, what do you think will happen for future Anime productions...
    Seriously now comeon. Pirated DVDS??? Pffftt you people are stuck in 20th Century. This is the 21st! ..I am pretty sure about that..anyways

It is simply called the internet. Whether or not Pirated DVDs fund terrorism or not, the fact should be known that while you are out buying your 8 movies for $2.50, a single descent website could give you 1000 titles free of charge or for pennies a day. If terrorists havn't figured that out, who gives a crap. Sooner or later they are gonna run out of money if they keep peddlin those cheap low quality bootlegs.

If you want cheap, why not go for free?!?!?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gigi2005 View Post
    I'm confused what is the conection between pirated DVD's and terrorism?
    About the pirated DVD's, from an ecenomical view it could be considerd wrong.
    But it dosn,t realy hurt people, most people in the movie industrie have a pretty good salery aspecialy producers, actors, directers, and investers.
    I dont think the have anything to complane about there making milions of dollars evry year.
    And the same thing go,s for the musci indusdrie!
    I don,t really now how it is in the Anime indusdrie so i wont pas judgment on that.

The only DVD,s i got are The Matrix collection witch i got legaly at a shop, The rest of the entertainment i watch and listen is al an the Internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky-lyrra View Post

Yes if you knew the fact then you might not buy it. What if you found out the shampoo you use funds terrorism. I mean alot of things can fund them but what could you really do even if you stop buying it others do it too.
    The connection I was given was that lets say I go to the local mart and pick up a few copies of w/e. The local guy there is all happy and nice and presents a good vibe and all that crap. He might just be selling his stuff and giving a profit to the local terrorist cell because of threats or w/e. Then the local cell with the money he's providing are the ones lobbing mortars into our compound while we sleep...It's kind of a moral delema but at the same time im iffy about it, thats what brought the thread up.

Ky-lyrra-
    I suppose if you think like that then nothing you do matters at all because someone else is always gonna be doing wrong. If you couldn't stop 10 terrorists then why stop one eh? I'm not getting all holyer-then-thou on you it's just an example but do you see my point?

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fled79 View Post
    The connection I was given was that lets say I go to the local mart and pick up a few copies of w/e. The local guy there is all happy and nice and presents a good vibe and all that crap. He might just be selling his stuff and giving a profit to the local terrorist cell because of threats or w/e. Then the local cell with the money he's providing are the ones lobbing mortars into our compound while we sleep...It's kind of a moral delema but at the same time im iffy about it, thats what brought the thread up.
    Well since no one will really figure out whether or not all pirated DVDs are being used as funding for Terrosim, it is a bit ridiculous to just not go by them because of that. Anything can be used in funding for Terrorism. First off pirated dvds are illegal, so you should assume someone somewhere isn't using the money collected to help out charity.

There is a chance of funding Terrorism OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Even if they weren't, where was your hesitation with the 1000 other possibilites of funding the evil? A drug addict? Being a criminal? Sinning? Having others lose money?

I find it pretty strange that you worry so much about a terrorist of Fox News kind and not the local downtown terrorist that is pushin that garbage. These people are smart and not only will terrorists never die, but illegal isn't the only way to fund them. Ever hear of the Mafia? Yakuza? Gangs?

It is illegal to buy pirated DVDs - Pirates achieved mass amounts of treasure by what? Stealing. You are only contributing to that cause. Welcome to being a criminal. Hypocrtitical non-sense.

Ignorance isn't an excuse. If you think it is, who cares. Handcuffs feel the same Universally. Makes me laugh - I won't do something illegal because the people pulling the strings are bad guys. I just want to pay good old Jim trying to support his Crack addiction.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    Well since no one will really figure out whether or not all pirated DVDs are being used as funding for Terrosim, it is a bit ridiculous to just not go by them because of that. Anything can be used in funding for Terrorism. First off pirated dvds are illegal, so you should assume someone somewhere isn't using the money collected to help out charity.

There is a chance of funding Terrorism OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Even if they weren't, where was your hesitation with the 1000 other possibilites of funding the evil? A drug addict? Being a criminal? Sinning? Having others lose money?

I find it pretty strange that you worry so much about a terrorist of Fox News kind and not the local downtown terrorist that is pushin that garbage. These people are smart and not only will terrorists never die, but illegal isn't the only way to fund them. Ever hear of the Mafia? Yakuza? Gangs?

It is illegal to buy pirated DVDs - Pirates achieved mass amounts of treasure by what? Stealing. You are only contributing to that cause. Welcome to being a criminal. Hypocrtitical non-sense.

Ignorance isn't an excuse. If you think it is, who cares. Handcuffs feel the same Universally. Makes me laugh - I won't do something illegal because the people pulling the strings are bad guys. I just want to pay good old Jim trying to support his Crack addiction.
    Let me just point out one more time that im in the Army and currently sitting in Iraq:

First Para- I don't know that the guy selling these things isn't just doing so to support his family, do you?

Second Para- Although 1000 is a bit exaggerated, Being a criminal? I'm here in the first place dodging mortars, doing patrols living in a place where everyone outside my compound hates me and would kill me the first chance they got for just the enjoyment-Who's the criminal here? Sinning? Of all the things being done in the world, I'm sure god can forgive a few dvd's. Losing money: I don't think Tom Cruise is hurting for the 5 cents he missed out on from me buying them. Drug addict: I suppose that is possible, though I have yet to hear about any kind of drug situation over here.

Fourth Para- Ignorance of what really? I won't do something illegal because the people pulling the strings are the bad guys..I don't get it...ALSO: I don't buy pirated dvd's in the states, why would I, I can actually use my check card there..

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast