Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Pirated DVD's Money for terrorism? or a good buy?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Pirated DVD's Money for terrorism? or a good buy?

It's kinda funny that you haven't seen any bootleg DVDs until you left the country. ^_^

I've been seeing bootleg discs of all kinds--DVDs/video games and such--since about 1998. o_O I didn't see them in vast amounts until I went to Thailand in '99; but once I came back to Minnesota, they were everywhere--especially the video games.

Bootleg CDs and DVDs are huge around here. You can't walk more than 2 blocks without running into someone who wants to offer you a couple of discs "on the low." But then again, I can remember when it was all about the bootleg VHS cassete, LOL.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    It's kinda funny that you haven't seen any bootleg DVDs until you left the country. ^_^

I've been seeing bootleg discs of all kinds--DVDs/video games and such--since about 1998. o_O I didn't see them in vast amounts until I went to Thailand in '99; but once I came back to Minnesota, they were everywhere--especially the video games.

Bootleg CDs and DVDs are huge around here. You can't walk more than 2 blocks without running into someone who wants to offer you a couple of discs "on the low." But then again, I can remember when it was all about the bootleg VHS cassete, LOL.
    Oh man that sure brings back some memories. When living in Michigan you could find almost anything you wanted in bootlegs because of the downfall in economy. Terrorists of nation security aside, those gangs there controlled the income no worse than some serious Monopolizing fat cats in collars. Thats why I mentioned that it is pretty difficult to know exactly who is running the show, those guys supplied some heavy shit with that cash.

I tend to worry about the terrorists right next door more than those terrorists outside the city limits. Until the times comes when outsiders join, I will worry about my neighbor more than the distant cousin you know.

Otaku fled79 may be famous one day fled79 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post

Maybe I just didn't pay attention or something...I remember getting discs from friends but it was usually windows stuff, and I didn't consider that pirated haha. I guess it is pirated but I didn't pay for it o.0

BTW it seems my little market friend has Windows Vista Ultimate, for 5$ LOL

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    Seriously now comeon. Pirated DVDS??? Pffftt you people are stuck in 20th Century. This is the 21st! ..I am pretty sure about that..anyways

It is simply called the internet. Whether or not Pirated DVDs fund terrorism or not, the fact should be known that while you are out buying your 8 movies for $2.50, a single descent website could give you 1000 titles free of charge or for pennies a day. If terrorists havn't figured that out, who gives a crap. Sooner or later they are gonna run out of money if they keep peddlin those cheap low quality bootlegs.

If you want cheap, why not go for free?!?!?
    Though I noticed you completely avoided answering my original question...
    Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

But in the long run, Pirated products of any kind is not a good buy. Besides presenting a inferior product, they also kill the profit margins for the Anime producers. I these companies can no longer make money producing Anime, what do you think will happen for future Anime productions...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

Though I noticed you completely avoided answering my original question...
    Oh sorry about that, it seems I expected that to be a retorical question. If Pirated DVDs were go that far, I assume Anime Productions will just huff it out. This is my prediction since I don't think companies producing a product overwhelmingly popular would fall to such an extent. Especially since anime is becomming more and more popular, you know replacing the old ninja turtles with Naruto, and shutting out those pesky love all no hate kinda thing.

If they can't huff it out like this, with the advancements in technology and how almost everyone has a computer, they might just resort to creating Specific Animes sites such as these. Forums to host and sponsor later generations of popular shows. Even though the cash flow would be considerably less with each new title, they could easy corner the market such as online entertainment.

I don't think anime would ever fall like that, when one door closes another opens.

Considering it being a good buy, I suppose you could definentally look at it as such. If companies were to fall like that, there would be an entirely new system created to maximize fans. We are already looking at situations similar to that, and I honestly believe if we were to move things to the internet, relationships between the consumer and producer could actually be enhanced and enriched. It could tear down the bootlegs pretty quickly by competing with them in the same style.

Otaku gigi2005 may be famous one day gigi2005 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fled79 View Post
    The connection I was given was that lets say I go to the local mart and pick up a few copies of w/e. The local guy there is all happy and nice and presents a good vibe and all that crap. He might just be selling his stuff and giving a profit to the local terrorist cell because of threats or w/e. Then the local cell with the money he's providing are the ones lobbing mortars into our compound while we sleep...It's kind of a moral delema but at the same time im iffy about it, thats what brought the thread up.

Ky-lyrra-
    I suppose if you think like that then nothing you do matters at all because someone else is always gonna be doing wrong. If you couldn't stop 10 terrorists then why stop one eh? I'm not getting all holyer-then-thou on you it's just an example but do you see my point?
    Ye but way would terrorist,s sell pirated DVD,s for fundings, selling pirated DVD,s isn,t realy a profiteble buisnes there is lot,s of compatition.
    And the DVD,s themself aren,t much worth eather, you get 5 DVD,s for $2,50 that,s 50 cent per DVD and blank DVD cost somthing like 15 cent per DVD.
    The you also have to crack the movie you wan,t sell and burn it onto te DVD, that cost,s time and electricety so lets say that cost,s 10 cent on elektricety.
    That means that from the $2,50 only 75 cent remans, and half of that is supose to go to terrorist fundings then even if you sell alot it won,t be enouf for terrorist fundings.

Now lets take somthing used by evrybody, toilet paper.
    What if 5 cent,s of evry bag of toilet paper where to go to terrorsit fundings would that make you stop buying/using toilet paper.
    There aren,t many things that can replace toilet paper, let,s take a few exemples:
    Kitchen paper: kitchen paper is made to scrub junk awey if you use it as toilet paper, by the end of the week your ass would hurt like hel.
    A toil: a toil is very soft but i would want to be the one how hase to wash it.
    Tisseu,s: tisseu,s are also vere soft but there very smal so the run out pretty quickly.
    Normal paper: Normal paper would probebely do the same thing as kitchen paper.
    There are a few other thing,s but you get the idea.
    So in the end the only option we have is to simply buy the toilet paper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gigi2005 View Post
    Ye but way would terrorist,s sell pirated DVD,s for fundings, selling pirated DVD,s isn,t realy a profiteble buisnes there is lot,s of compatition.
    And the DVD,s themself aren,t much worth eather, you get 5 DVD,s for $2,50 that,s 50 cent per DVD and blank DVD cost somthing like 15 cent per DVD.
    The you also have to crack the movie you wan,t sell and burn it onto te DVD, that cost,s time and electricety so lets say that cost,s 10 cent on elektricety.
    That means that from the $2,50 only 75 cent remans, and half of that is supose to go to terrorist fundings then even if you sell alot it won,t be enouf for terrorist fundings.

What if 5 cent,s of evry bag of toilet paper where to go to terrorsit fundings would that make you stop buying/using toilet paper.
    There aren,t many things that can replace toilet paper, let,s take a few exemples:
    Kitchen paper: kitchen paper is made to scrub junk awey if you use it as toilet paper, by the end of the week your ass would hurt like hel.
    Tisseu,s: tisseu,s are also vere soft but there very smal so the run out pretty quickly.
    I believe the whole thought process behind that was in terms similar to taxes. 75 cents isn't a lot, but if your consumer is well over in the millions category, that amount of cash can seem to be a lot. Even if it seems to be a small amount taken from each invidual sell, there are always ways to turn that bit of cash into even more money. Say you make 3 million, if you have the right connections you could apply that into the stock market and double it. Lots of variables but don't be fooled by visible numbers, try to see the invisible and the possibilities for the future.

If terrorists are to be feared, I don't think intimidating a stockbroker should be that difficult.
    Last edited by Tbaism; Apr 10, 2007 at 10:58 AM.

Otaku fled79 may be famous one day fled79 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gigi2005 View Post

Thats a valid point gigi, looking at it that way it seems if a terrorist was to try profiting off pirated dvd's they wouls lose more than they'd make o.0

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast