+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Polygamy

Otaku Frisbee Throwing Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion Billum256 is off to a good start Billum256's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Polygamy

Ahh polygamy....what a reminder of when I was Morman. Never did agree with old Joseph Smith. Well I'm against it, don't really see the point in it. In fact I have something against it personally. I won't kill over it, its techniclly not my bussiness but I'm a really nosy person so it annoys me.
    98% of AO members are yaoi or lollicon fans. If you are part of the 2% that are not, copy and paste this into your sig

Sig By Me
    "We're all sinners in the hands of the loving God"

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

There really is no reason for Polygamy unless the Human race is on the brink of extinction. I for one am aganst it. There should only be one wife and one husband, and that also gose for gays and bis. Merrage is suppose to be a union of two people, not three, not four, but just two. As said before, the reason for Poligamy is for mass production of babies. Others I think just like it for the sake of having more then one partner to do the dirty deed with. Or because its just practiced because its part of a culture.
    Well from where I am standing, the Human population is not in a decline, infact there are to many of us in the would and our planet is struggling to keep us all alive. Those who practice Polygamy just for the sake of having sex is just digusting and makes my skin crawl just thinking about it, its just wrong because there is no love, no nothing. Its just vile and selfish. Now for the culturle aspect of this and I dont mean to offend any one in any way buy this so please dont hurt me, but the simple fact that Polygamy was practiced because said culture had a small population and most likey a high infant mortality raight. But todays day and age, infant mortality raight had deminished around the world in all but a few countries. So for those who still practice Polygamy simply because its part of a culture, then I think strongly that it should be brought up to date.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RayMe View Post

-what would you feel if you are involved in a poligamy?
    -Is there poligamy in gay relationship?
    -Do you believe that all the ones in the relationship can cooperate?
    Hmm... Polygamy, eh? I've never really put too much thought in to the subject unless I'm in a conversation dealing with Muslims and/or Mormons, LOL.

I suppose that were it legal in the state of Minnesota, I wouldn't have a problem with it. If a person wants to marry multiple people, let him/her go for it! Whatever makes them happy. I personally don't know how I'd feel about it. Typically, when I'm in a relationship, that one person is the only person I care about. So, having multiple wives kinda sounds unfair to the women who would be wives #2, #3 and so on. ALTHOUGH, it does sound like a fun idea. What man doesn't have fantasies about multiple sex partners?

But then there's the issue of multiple-divorces. So, what happens if all of your spouses decide they want to divorce you at the same exact time? Do you lose half of your income and belongings and they split it? Or--let's say you've got three wives--would each wive get an automatic quarter of your crap, leaving you with 25% of what you came in with? That sounds like some scary ish, man!

Then there's the whole jealousy bit... People love to embrace jealousy these days. I can look at a guy's girlfriend and say, you've got ketchup on your blouse and dude'll blow up, screamin' at me, "Why you lookin' at my girl's chest, dawg??!!" LOL. So, I can't imagine having multiple wives and dealin' with daily catfights. I bet it's a hassle.

It sounds to me--based on my own random thoughts on polygamy--that there's more consequence then there is benefit.

To answer your question on gay polygamy: Why not? Do gay people not have orgies? Do gay people not cheat on one another? Don't gay people fantasize about multiple spouses/partners? I'd assume so. They're human too, y'know. Would it be any different then hetero-polygamy? Probably not. Like I said a week or two ago, "All marriage is wrong". So, let them do it up, if that makes them happy.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

It was pointed out to me that my statement....
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    I thought we covered that before? There are numerous sects that have broken off from the LDS church some of which still practice polygamy. It is absolutely despicable as they do it and it breaks not only secular law but the laws regulating it in the church 2+ centuries ago before it's abolishment. Some of them call themselves "Mormons" still (just like protestants still call themselves Christians after breaking from the Catholic church) but the "Mormon Church" ie LDS Church has abolished it and anyone caught participating is excommunicated; so "Mormons" do not practice polygamy in spite of the ongoing stereotyping.
    Might be a little confusing (and I agree) so I will try again.

Only a few sects that broke off from the LDS church practice polygamy. The LDS church does not (and abolished the practice in 1890 well over a century ago) nor do many other sects that have broken from the "Mormon" church. Similarly there are a few Protestant sects that have or do practice polygamy. As a result to claim that a polygamist must be "Mormon" is stereotyping and no more true then saying they must be Protestant or even Christians in general (and considering why the thread was started that one is blatantly untrue). It would be like saying that all Protestants dress in severely plain clothing and never dance or that Catholics believe the sun revolves around the earth... sure there may be some that do but it can hardly be an accurate statement can it, hence stereotyping.

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Polygamy is not the practice of having more than one partner: it's the practice of having more than one spouse.
    No it isn't. Polygamy is the practice of a man having more then one wife. As a result it is not nor can it be a "gay practice". Polyandry is the practice of a woman having more then one husband. With marriage not being in the picture there is no word for multiple gay spouses... orgy maybe?
    Last edited by Arrianna; Feb 21, 2008 at 11:19 PM. Reason: grammer

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Polyamory is the term you're looking for there Arrianna, which is the practice of having more then one relationship where all parties agree.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Polyamory is the term you're looking for there Arrianna, which is the practice of having more then one relationship where all parties agree.
    polyamory
    n
    participation in multiple and simultaneous loving or sexual relationships

Yep, that would be it. Thanks Aceman.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    No it isn't.
    yes it is

from the stems
    poly - multiple
    gamy - marriage

like "bigamy" (from bi - two and gamy - marriage)

polygamy - Definitions from Dictionary.com

note - polygamy

1591, from L.L. polygamia, from Late Gk. polygamia "polygamy," from polygamos "often married," from polys "many" + gamos "marriage" (see gamete). Not etymologically restricted to marriage of one man and multiple women (technically polygyny), but often used as if it were.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tsurara For This Useful Post:

RayMe (Feb 25, 2008)

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok heres the low down:

Polygyny=A man having more than one wife
    Polyandry=A Woman having more than one husband
    polygamy=The condition or practice of having more than one spouse at one time(But was generally used to refer to a Man having multiple wives.)
    bigamy=Bigamy is accentually the same as polygamy, but bigamy is used in reference to the criminal aspect of having more than one spouse.

"Law. the crime of marrying while one has a wife or husband still living, from whom no valid divorce has been effected."
    As for the gays, thats a mystery. Most of these terms are used for the opposite sex actions. I guess you could use a broad definition of polygamy if gays get the right to marriage. If they dont its just Polymory.

Polyhomogamy?? = "The practice of a homosexual having more than one spouse"
    Last edited by Miroku4444; Feb 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Miroku4444 For This Useful Post:

RayMe (Feb 25, 2008)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast