+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread: Polygamy

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Polygamy

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Ok heres the low down:

Polygyny=A man having more than one wife
    Polyandry=A Woman having more than one husband
    polygamy=The condition or practice of having more than one spouse at one time(But was generally used to refer to a Man having multiple wives.)
    bigamy=Bigamy is accentually the same as polygamy, but bigamy is used in reference to the criminal aspect of having more than one spouse.

"Law. the crime of marrying while one has a wife or husband still living, from whom no valid divorce has been effected."
    As for the gays, thats a mystery. Most of these terms are used for the opposite sex actions. I guess you could use a broad definition of polygamy if gays get the right to marriage. If they dont its just Polymory.

Polyhomogamy?? = "The practice of a homosexual having more than one spouse"
    ohhhh... Polygyny, Polygamy, they almost sound identical. I see the reason for confusion. Especially since:

polygamy
    1591, from L.L. polygamia, from Late Gk. polygamia "polygamy," from polygamos "often married," from polys "many" + gamos "marriage" (see gamete). Not etymologically restricted to marriage of one man and multiple women (technically polygyny), but often used as if it were.

Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2001 Douglas Harper

Usually it only does mean Polygyny with the way it is used modernly. Language drift strikes again.

Either way it doesn't apply to gays unless they were to start getting married to multiple spouses. It does require a legal situation.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

RayMe (Feb 25, 2008)

Rawr~ :3 Boxteroid Champion, flyplane Champion, Home Run Champion, Bubbelfutsch Champion, Fire Fighter Champion, Brendans Soccer Champion, Movie Star Match-Up Champion, Total blackout Champion, Text Your Reflexes Champion, Scary movie Champion, Hulk Smash Up Champion, Star Wars Champion, Extreme Snowboarding Champion, Air Disc Champion, Action Fish Champion, A Game Of 3 Halves Champion, Battleball Champion, Hacky Sack Champion, FAD 2003 Champion, SQRL Golf Champion, Dr Yeckyl and Mr Ride Champion, Sky Glide Champion, Flyer Champion, Finnair Champion, Drachenjagd Champion, Canyon Glider Champion, City Surfing Champion, Action Driving Game Champion, Extreme Rowing Champion, Kardahdg Champion, Acceleracers Track Mod Champion, Final Test Champion, Du Wichtel Champion, Pedal Power Champion, Camera Killer 2 Champion, Bike Mania on ICE Champion, ATV Winter Challenge Champion, Caliber Dash Champion, Diesel and Death Champion, Snow Ride Champion, Camera Killer Champion, Pepsi Jet Ski Champion, Bumper Cars Championship Champion, Drifting Champion, Get A Grip Champion, Rooney on the Rampage Champion, Death To Ninja Champion, Kung Fu Hustle 2 Champion, Muay Thai Champion, Metal Arm FAWEGE Champion, Knife Champion, Classroom Fighter Champion, Nobuyuki Forces 3 Champion, Caddeva Champion, Sewer Dweller Champion, Angel Mart Champion, Snowy Champion, Bola Champion, Boiler Room Champion, Bobcat Champion, Amazon Quest Champion, Booty Champion, Five Errors Champion, Mind Your Marbles Champion, Angel Fruit Champion, Binggrae Champion, Candy Shoot Champion, Imperial tiles Champion, Himalayaya - Yeti Strikes Back Champion, Terrorist Attack Champion, Americas Army Champion, Special Operations Champion, Destroy the robots Champion, Cubicle Warfare Champion, Battle Field Champion, Weapons Dealer Champion, Army Copter Champion, Flat War Champion, Terrorist Alert Champion, Bully Basher Champion, Reaktor Champion, Bungee Rescue Champion, The Contraptor Champion, Boris Champion, Carling Cold Champion, Paddleball Champion RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe is making a name for themselves RayMe's Avatar
    Not somewhere I love but I am glad I have a home so far
    Thanks

*is taking notes down on the new words* dang... im learning a lot! thanks guys~!

Hmm in muslim society,.. i told you once to do this means you have to carry a bigger burden... so it's stated that the husband must be fair to all wives...

For example.. if the first wive gets 1000 dollar a month so must the others... or If u stay for two night at A's you must do the same to all B's or C's or D's.. get it? ^^

Secondly... one must be able to have or to be in the condition of able to cope with all his wives... if not, he must not marry more than one or of his ability and a divorce must be made...

There's more... but,... i did not look through XD I will later i guess,... when i decided to do polygamy.. XD

(geez.. my gf gonna kill me >.< btw dear.. i was jk about that.. ehehe )

Legion Ketsueki Lives on~!!
    I'm BACK AO!
    >>>facebook<<<

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RayMe View Post
    There's more... but,... i did not look through XD I will later i guess,... when i decided to do polygamy.. XD

(geez.. my gf gonna kill me >.< btw dear.. i was jk about that.. ehehe )

Those are some pretty good laws, now how many people who engage in polygamy actually follow them? For that matter is it even possible to be that fair? Back nearly 2 centuries ago when the LDS church had polygamy there were similar rules... very similar. (Unlike the rest of the US where 4% of the populace were polygamists but had no such regulations, but history tends to skip that part.) They had to be able to financially care for each and the children, have the permission from the first wife, etc, etc... however it is almost impossible to be impartial or equally partial to all wives, it was trying and when polygamy was declared over there were a lot of very happy people.

Now it can be understandable why polygamy would be practiced in certain circumstances. The birth ratio of men to women is 1/1 but when facing continuous war that ratio can drop to 1/3 or 1/4 or even more. If in an agronomic society that occurs continuously for centuries it would be easy to see how polygamy could be considered normal or needed. It does not change the fact that people are wired for only one serious relationship at a time and someone in the relationship will end up on the losing end. Nor are regulations like that something that can be really ENFORCED without getting involved in peoples personal lives in a way that is no ones business so it has has to be self regulated. That then brings me back to my first question, how many people who engage in polygamy actually follow them?

(The sects that broke off from the LDS church who are polygamists certainly don't.)
    Last edited by Arrianna; Feb 26, 2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: hit submit on accident

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Otaku FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral's Avatar
    Thanks

I think marriage to more than one is not good ... but also not wrong. I myself... I would think that marriage to only one is more idealistic if your goal is to love the one your with. If you are married to more than one that's more of your love that you have to give to all the women. So, if you're having to spread out your love none of the women get to experience what your full loving potential is like. Nor do you get to experience how much you are able to love a woman and you'll never love a single woman completely. That is unless that you have one main wife... and just a few on the side for really good hot sex; ha-ha!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5