Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible Asteroid Impact: 1/29/2008

Otaku Frisbee Throwing Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion Billum256 is off to a good start Billum256's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Possible Asteroid Impact: 1/29/2008

Yeah I read what mellowmaromis' dude said and what tsuraras' dude said. In all honesty I can't even see why you would be worried about something like this. Like the astromaner says it can't be that professional if he thinks lightning comes from the suns plasma. I don't see there being any kind of armegedon(spelling?) any time soon. After all I'm a believer in God so I belive that the end is when he comes, and I don't think an asteroid counts as god.
    98% of AO members are yaoi or lollicon fans. If you are part of the 2% that are not, copy and paste this into your sig

Sig By Me
    "We're all sinners in the hands of the loving God"

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    last I checked, the entire world isn't run by the United States of America. Nor is the USA the only place in the world with a space program.

If this asteroid posed any risk to us at all, don't you think SOMEONE out there would be worried about it besides the crazy old Silent Hill lady and a bunch of people in tinfoil hats on conspiracy theory forums?
    both very good points, tsurara.

the few people that put out rumors like this make me laugh. if it was a serious threat, a credible threat, then i think someone would have made it more well-known, and if they posted a YouTube video, someone who knew wtf they where talking about. The government (for the most part) isnt Evil. you are forgetting, most of the government is made up of clerks, secretaries and other people who arent senators or the president. they have families too, and likely wouldnt be in the "privelages class" that "gets to their shelters". besides, its not like a bomb shelter would protect you from a massive asteriod. its not just the impact that would kill you, the after effects would be worse. so if you see massive ammounts of "space shuttles" launching into the air carrying mistaah bush and his homies, then you could be legitamately worried.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble

Another, more recent web article...

Large asteroid to fly past Earth - Space.com - MSNBC.com

So its time for everyone to cancel their end of the world party bashes...
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Devoted Otaku Defend Your Castle Champion rock on may be famous one day rock on may be famous one day rock on's Avatar
    Thanks

In regards to an "Impact":

The only arguements I've heard of late that are in the smallest bit valid, are the ones concerning "Nemesis" (AKA, the revised Planet X theory). This theory involves a "Brown Dwarf" (dead star that has not gone Supernova nor turned into a blackhole), which is a twin to our primary star Sol (The big orange thing in the sky).

This theory states that this giant Darkstar occasionally, every so many thousands of years passes by a nearby Oort cloud, which then pummels nearby planets in our system with thousands upon thousands of meteorites\asteroids and cause an Extinction Event.

This is one of the many preposed theories behind the death of the dinosaurs, and the strange coincidences concerning ancient calenders.

So, NO. Unless the Asteroid is Wormwood, I most sincerely doubt its heading our way.

~Vulgotha

92% of teens moved to rap. I am one of the 8% rebelions

Ever So Awesome Kaboom Champion, Archery Champion, Crazy Pool 2 Champion, Ninja-Boy Champion, Bubble Shooter Champion zyta may be famous one day zyta may be famous one day zyta's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billum256 View Post
    Yeah I read what mellowmaromis' dude said and what tsuraras' dude said. In all honesty I can't even see why you would be worried about something like this. Like the astromaner says it can't be that professional if he thinks lightning comes from the suns plasma. I don't see there being any kind of armegedon(spelling?) any time soon. After all I'm a believer in God so I belive that the end is when he comes, and I don't think an asteroid counts as god.
    In FFVII - sorry, geek self talking - it was the cause for the end.

Putting aside my geeky self, if there were an Asteroid that large and supposedly the government was lying in some way about it, why would the newspapers, channels and all that lie? They happily tell any story that would give them a raise in viewers, aliens, floodings, anything. I'm sure there are contacts within NASA as well so that if anything were to come, it would be headline news.

Besides, don't count out the military power just yet for there are still the "Star Wars" lasers up and running from the cold war days. With a few upgrades it would take a huge threat and at least push it away, it is space, not much energy is needed to change a beeline course to a different location.

Visit my blog: Rewriting Life

Otaku Oroboros Champion nexusolus is off to a good start nexusolus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zyta View Post
    With a few upgrades it would take a huge threat and at least push it away, it is space, not much energy is needed to change a beeline course to a different location.
    Well that depends on how much force it is exerting towards us that depends on how much force wed have to use to change its direction. And if it were a large enough astroid we may not have enough fire power to push it away. Though i personly dont know of any HUGE asteroids like that.

Made by me.

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

even though it is in space, a large asteroid is going to have astronomical () momentum. you wouldnt just be able to "push it away" with the star wars lasers. besides, they where more or les just for detecting missiles.

since im a FFVII nerd to, i suppose if you are really that worried about it, mello maromi, go find a white materia called "holy"

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Thanks

Never said I was worried. Never even said I regret anything. I wouldn't even be said if it were to hit.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast