Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Possible Asteroid Impact: 1/29/2008

Fish Fingers & Custard Ice Hockey Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Ant Tracks Champion, Jungle Hunt Champion, Madnetics Champion, Manole Champion, Blokken Champion, Fast Food Fiasco Champion, Shapes Hifters Champion, Mud and Blood: Vietnam Champion HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice is making a name for themselves HolderOfTheDarkChalice's Avatar
    someplace where the only light is the moon above
    Thanks

Re: Possible Asteroid Impact: 1/29/2008

i think people should go by instince when it comes
    to things like astroids and other planet disasters , why
    would sanyone belive this guy? i was watching something
    simular on the discovery channel i think and they said we would
    have a astroid fly through our atmosphere not hitting but just skimming
    our sky not really doing any damage in the year 2078 but 7 years after that
    they theorise that it might hit us but arnt sure.

i would belive them more than this guy since the discovery channle pretty much
    is the nerd channel ir if you watch the science chanle eother there more reliable than
    anything on you tube or something
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons
    I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason
    I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son
    They're one in the same, I must isolate you...
    Isolate and save you from yourself

AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HolderOfTheDarkChalice View Post
    i think people should go by instince when it comes
    to things like astroids and other planet disasters , why
    would sanyone belive this guy? i was watching something
    simular on the discovery channel i think and they said we would
    have a astroid fly through our atmosphere not hitting but just skimming
    our sky not really doing any damage in the year 2078 but 7 years after that
    they theorise that it might hit us but arnt sure.

i would belive them more than this guy since the discovery channle pretty much
    is the nerd channel ir if you watch the science chanle eother there more reliable than
    anything on you tube or something
    If you would research, you would find out some facts. Its a fact that this asteroid is coming on tuesday. Its a fact that it would be the closest asteroid of this size or larger until 2027.

The asteroid you mentioned that they mentioned on the discovery channel is called Apophis, and is coming in 2027, friday 13th, in april. Then, in 2036, it could come back around, and from being affected by the earths gravity the first time, it could hit the second time. Again, on friday the thirteenth.

Astronomers just discovered this new asteroid 3 months ago, long after those discovery channel videos came out.

Whats up for debate is whether this new asteroid will have any affect on us.

Otaku Dune Bashing In Dubai Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, Yeti Bubbles Champion overload is off to a good start overload's Avatar
    Thanks

nah, I am not frightened about a little rock that is going to hit our planet.
    and why would one hit us now? when the earth has been here for 4 billion years and counting.
    sure the dinos were wiped out by something like that, but why has nothing hit us earlier?

AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Thanks

Tunguska..

Overload, if the earth didnt have weather to cover up craters with erosian, we'd have more craters then the moon. We have been hit so many time with asteroids, wiping out over 80% of species every time.

Humans haven't even been on this planet for very long. Life has existand for 4 billion years, and humans a mere 10,000? There are less asteroids floating around in our solar system then there was 65 million years ago, but there is still asteroids that could hit us.

Like apophis, for example. If and when that hits, it would release the energy equivalent to 880 million tons of TNT.

That's 16 times more powerful then the largest nuclear bomb ever detonated, which shattered windows 500 miles away.

TU24 is roughly the same size as Apophis, and would impact with around the same energy, if it were to impact.

It would cost hundreds of millions of lives.

And we just got hit by an asteroid 100 years ago, in russia. A 50 Meter asteroid, exploded in the sky, wiping out 1000 square kilometers of land, knocking down thousands of trees, and killing thousands of deers.

You have a higher chance of getting hit with an asteroid then you do getting struck by lightning.

Otaku Caixa 2006 Champion Corvus may be famous one day Corvus may be famous one day Corvus's Avatar
    Thanks

anyone here who believes that asteroid is going to hit earth is laughable.
    first off... they wouldn't classify it as an asteroid if that threat was there (for those of you saying that it looks like they're right on top of each other in the video) Two things.
    The scale in that video is massive MASSIVE (incase you didn't get that the first time) this means that even though they look like they're overlapping doesn't mean they are.
    Second thing is that you'd nees an asteroid much bigger to actually make contact. Why? Atmosphere. The atmosphere is constantly burning up asteroids (that's why we have falling stars)
    Even if it were somehow possible that it would hit... (which it's not) countries around the world would already have put something into action to stop it... especially since korea is now able to launch projectiles into space with almost pinpoint accuracy. Believe me when I say that the people who train to study the universe for a profession (the people in NASA and other organizations like it) are highy qualified in what they do.
    So why don't we let them do their jobs and worry about bigger problems like how humanity is going to destroy itself.
    I honestly think that a massive rock hurtling through the cosmos at our planet might do the world some good... at least everyone would finally have found a common enemy something that threatens more then how much a nation can spend in a year or how many people we can kill for black crude that we seem to think is essential to life eventhough it's liquified death. But whatever it's not happening and if it was it would be HUGE now wait MASSIVE ^_^
    Have a nice day now.
    *smiles and walks away*

... and join my rebellion against time.

Thanks

It's on the PHA list, meaning that the threat is indeed there. They labeled it as "potentially most hazardous asteroid until 2027."

The scale in that video has nothing to do with my belief that its possible the asteroid will hit. I'm not an idiot. I know that when you scale planets to the size of a dot, it will look they are touching, even if they're thousands of miles apart.

Now to what you're saying about the atmosphere, that is false. The atmosphere burns ups rocks the size of pebbles and sand. Any asteroid bigger then that would either pass through the atmosphere, or explode in the air, sending the shockwave down destroything thousands of kilometers of land. (Tunguska.. which was only 50 meters wide, compared to TU24, which is 500 meters wide).

Falling stars are caused by meteors the size of sand.

And as much as you would like to believe that the countries around the world would stop it from impacting, that just isn't there. The amount of scientists working in the United States on tracking asteroids and determining if its going to hit or not, can fit in the average Mcdonalds restaurant.

If they concluded that the asteroid was going to hit, they wouldn't tell the media, nor the public. The amount of violence and deaths from just the mass panic would far exceed the amount that would be evacuated to safety.

The Officials would simply get into a bunker, and hide, secretly.

Heres some updates on the matter.

The US military is powering down sensitive equipment for the TU24 approach. They are also backing up sensitive data in multiple locations. No chance of impact, but they feel they need to 'play it safe'(?)

And a few of the World's leaders are gathering in Switzerland for an economic forum, during the time this asteroid is supposed to arrive. Incidentally, they will be near the largest Nuclear Bunker in the World.

Not to mention, there is a US spy satellite that suddenly lost all power and guidance, and will hit the earth in February. Hmmmm.

The possibility for impact is not 0, and the possibility for electromagnetic disturbance is even greater.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble ahem Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    The possibility for impact is not 0, and the possibility for electromagnetic disturbance is even greater.
    If you had bothered to look at the link to the MSNBC web article, you would have found that the posibility of impact IS ZERO, and since its missing by a greater distance then the space between the earth and the moon, the possibility of electromagnetic disturbance is just as great...

Large asteroid to fly past Earth - Space.com - MSNBC.com
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

One Man Army Ochi Gate is off to a good start Ochi Gate's Avatar
    Thanks

its not going to be like in the old movie "maximum overdrive" or whatever when all the machines revolt over an EMP from an asteroid...

and besides, like i said, going in a bunker will do you no good.even if it where to hit, and there was magically no "nuclear winter" afterward, they would still die. the strongest nuke bunkers arent going to save them from a 500 meter asteroid anyway. this is obviously just a coincidence.

"You will only have eyes for Me!"

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast