Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: is it possible for guys and girls to simply be "best friends"?

Otaku sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl may be famous one day sangogirl's Avatar
    Thanks

is it possible for guys and girls to simply be "best friends"?

i'm a girl, and i have a hard time getting a long with other girls, so i have a lot of guy friends, people sometimes think that there is more between us than just friends, and then the guy friends start thinking the same thing.
    to me i am starting to think that simply being friends is impossible, that eventually things will change.

what do you guys think?
    every rose has a thorn

Ikorose Shinsō Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145 is a hero here Silverskater145's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: is it possible for guys and girls to simply be "best friends"?

Quote Originally Posted by sangogirl View Post
    i'm a girl, and i have a hard time getting a long with other girls, so i have a lot of guy friends, people sometimes think that there is more between us than just friends, and then the guy friends start thinking the same thing.
    to me i am starting to think that simply being friends is impossible, that eventually things will change.

what do you guys think?
    Is it impossible? No. But nothing about it is wrong. We are opposite sexes, after all, and we are attracted to each other. Even then, I've always thought of this predicament to have some truth to it, and I loved that part in When Harry met Sally, where Harry talked about it, rather bluntly.

"Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way."

"Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
    Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you."

"Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
    Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
    Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
    Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
    Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story."

Not exactly rated PG-13 (High School), but the basic argument is there. I love that scene, and if I had to be honest myself... I have a bunch of girl-friends. I won't lie and say I haven't liked some of them, or have been attracted to them. My last girlfriend was actually a friend, that I made a move on. I generally argue with Harry's statements, although not to that degree.

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

Of course Its possible, we're just been mutual friends and nothing more. I got friends who are girls and that it we are just friends
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

Devoted Otaku gamemaster331 is off to a good start gamemaster331's Avatar
    Thanks

It is definitely possible to have friends of the opposite sex that are just that: friends. I myself know many girls that I consider to be just friends. Have I found some of them attractive? Yes. Would I ever seriously do anything with them? Not realy, we're just friends and some of those friends treat me like their brother and I treat them like my sister. I can't even imagine having sex with a sister.

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

It has never been a problem for me. Once my best friend of the opposite gender and I were in a relationship (it caught me completely unawares), but the friendship thing was just way better. Guys and girls can have Platonic relationships.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

There's an old sayin', "Sometimes the best of friends make the best of lovers." Of course this isn' always true and bein' lovers at one time or another can put a strain on a friendship. But this doesn' mean that Guys and Girls can' b friends. If friendship and relationships have anythin' in common, it's the fact that some u win and some u lose; but it doesn' mean that u should stop tryin'. Yeah, some of ur guy friends may want more than jus' a platonic relationship wit u, but if they have any respect for u and ur relationship; they'll leave that wolf at the door if u shut it. So ta speak. My point is that u shouldn' stop tryin' ta b friends wit guys 'cause of what a few ppl, who don' know; understand; and shouldn' b makin' any assumptions anyway, r jumpin' ta the wrong conclusions.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

Absolutely.
    Having a friendship with a guy to me seems even simpler than having a friendship with a girl. there are less emotions tied in and you can talk about things without hesitating or thinking about hurting her "feelings" and sometimes I find that it is easier to trust a guy than a girl......I know how weird that sounds coming from me (a girl)....but that is how I feel about it.
    And yes there are sometimes instances where the guy and the girl start going on...but usually that relationship does not work out very well and they just say that "it was better off being just best friends".
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

i actually have more female friends than male. if you are having problems with a friendship, then either you or the other guy just isn't a "friend" person. Sadly, this is becoming more and more common as the culture constantly pushes the image that the only purpose of cross-gender friendships is sex, an idea i find rediculous.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast