+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Qur'an burning, good or bad?

丹色 月影 BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96 may be famous one day BrightShadow_96's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Qur'an burning, good or bad?

Burning books in general isn't a good thing, as Kindle may soon be the cause of their extinction without burning anything. But anyway, I don't think that burning the Qur'an is a particularly bad thing. Nor is burning a Bible or religious text of any sort. My reasoning, plain and simple, is that it's just a book. I don't see any evidence whatsoever that any sort of religious text has spiritual or magical properties, and as such, shouldn't be respected any more than a normal book (though, again, why go through the trouble of burning books?).
    However, I do have a quarrel with burning religious texts as a form of protest. Reasoning: it creates religious tension, intolerance, ignorance, and is simply offensive. If you're going to burn something religious, do it where no one can see it.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

It helps if you supply your own thoughts as well, rematche.

In my case, why on earth would anyone burn a book? Seems like one of those sigh inducing actions with just about 0% thought or contemplation about it.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

The guy's reasoning for it is childish imo, he blames Islam and the Qur'an for terrorism and feels that by burning the Qur'an he's gonna send a message that terrorism isn' tolerated. I've seen muslim ppl burning American flags, but I have yet to see some burn the Holy Bible. What this guy is doing is jus' plain wrong, if my memory serves me correctly, the Qur'an forbids the destruction of the religious sites and artifacts of your enemy. So if that's the case, shouldn' we do the same, not that I'm saying that the muslims are our enemy; jus' the terrorists. And why punish the muslim ppl for what the terrorists do, by burning the Qur'an? That's like punishing today's Christians for the Spainish Inquisition or the Salem Witch trials. Shouldn' we punish only those responsible for what they do? I say that this guy doesn' speak for me and that he's jus' doing this to get attention, he needs to go home.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Mage For This Useful Post:

AstralMage01 (May 06, 2011)

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarentai Kyoukan View Post
    I think this has been discussed before ....anyways its just darn obvious that its damn idiocy to burn a "religious" book , be it the quran or any other book .Its racist ,outrageous and instigates further stupid acts .
    wait a minute? racist? how can that be a racist? that's just a book like any others.

Quote Originally Posted by Hassun View Post
    It helps if you supply your own thoughts as well, rematche.

In my case, why on earth would anyone burn a book? Seems like one of those sigh inducing actions with just about 0% thought or contemplation about it.
    very well...in own thoughts, this act depends on the intention of the person performing this act. for one thing i never seen any person who goes insane over a burned science book, in which ironically has more credibility than any holy book.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Otaku Marcus Fenix is off to a good start Marcus Fenix's Avatar
    Thanks

What I don't understand is this: you burn a religous book, people get all offended. You start talking smack about your religon, people ignore you as a religous zelot.
    We gotta make our choices...because in the end we are who we choose to be.

Because choice is the only real freedom any of us have.

Newbie bluewolf is off to a good start bluewolf's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Fenix View Post
    What I don't understand is this: you burn a religous book, people get all offended. You start talking smack about your religon, people ignore you as a religous zelot.
    I absolutely agree. I think it's ridiculous how people take the religious text that says "they need to preach to others" and believe it's all about bashing other religions and throwing theirs in other's faces when it really means is just saying "hey i'm ___ (whatever religion) and if you're ever up for it I'd love to witness to you" and never bring it up unless the other person wanted to discuss it. No deity would want people to throw it in others faces because you don't catch bees with vinegar. Even though I know Christians are the stereotypical bible thumpers I'm met as many non-Christian thumpers as I have Christian thumpers.
    I suppose Santa Claus doesn't go around delivering semi-automatics, extra mags, and cans of tear gas.

Otaku Marcus Fenix is off to a good start Marcus Fenix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluewolf View Post
    I absolutely agree. I think it's ridiculous how people take the religious text that says "they need to preach to others" and believe it's all about bashing other religions and throwing theirs in other's faces when it really means is just saying "hey i'm ___ (whatever religion) and if you're ever up for it I'd love to witness to you" and never bring it up unless the other person wanted to discuss it. No deity would want people to throw it in others faces because you don't catch bees with vinegar. Even though I know Christians are the stereotypical bible thumpers I'm met as many non-Christian thumpers as I have Christian thumpers.
    No kidding. But it boils down to this: Many religions are a tool of order, a good way to try to get the masses to conform to one type of thinking.
    We gotta make our choices...because in the end we are who we choose to be.

Because choice is the only real freedom any of us have.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Fenix View Post
    No kidding. But it boils down to this: Many religions are a tool of order, a good way to try to get the masses to conform to one type of thinking.
    Religion isn' necessarily a tool of order, jus' used; like anything else can be; by many to create conformity or discord. Jus' as there are many bad uses for something, there are many good uses for it as well. It all depends on the individual and how they use or are allowed to be used by said other individuals, and not necessarily the religion itself. At least that's how I feel.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast