View Poll Results: Should race matter at all?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

3 5.08%
  • no

48 81.36%
  • in between yes and no

8 13.56%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Race

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Race

Here's a rhetorical question for ya though........does 'race' exist?

The concept of race is what allows racism to continue, because anyone who uses the term race accepts that there is an inherent difference between sets of people (the difference of 'race' would imply a severe genetic difference, meaning that the person is not the same as a standard human being). Race is only an idea, nothing more. Skin color does not suit the term 'race' as skin color is merely the pigmentation of the skin. Yes, you could argue that the skin color is past on through the genetic line of the parent, but if you took the entire population of earth, and split them into groups, you would have "Human Beings" and "Non-Human Beings." So technically (if a white person was using the term 'race') it would mean that only white people would be classified as human beings, the others would be non-humans.

Using the term 'race' is akin to saying 'different species.'

The term 'race,' itself, only became greatly used after the Age of Exploration (circa 1400 A.D) when Europeans began sailing around the world and coming into contact with different groups of people. The social structure of Europe was a "class system" (especially in England) where a persons worth was determined by the birth. To sum it up (it's a bit more complicated, but here's an example): If you were born into a noble family, one that had wealth, you were considered high class. It guaranteed you specific rights which only someone of your class stature could get. Likewise, being born into a poor family generally meant you'd stay in the poor bracket the rest of your life, and your freedoms were limited.

The reason for the 'class' system was to impose rule over a large amount of people. It kept the social structure in order, and protected the interest of those with money and power.

But now that Europeans were coming into contact with groups who weren't of European descent, the class system didn't apply. Rather, a new form of social structure was needed in order to explain these new people. Enter the term 'race.' The class system was used on europeans, and the racial system was used on anyone else. Why were these new people so different? Well, it was believed that they were of a different race, not that of the human race. By imposing the race system on these new people, it allowed the Europeans to secure interests in over seas ventures.

Think of it this way:

Class System: Refers to the social heirarchy of Europeans, on a scale of European vs. European. A poor Englishman is considered of "low class" when compared to a rich Englishman of "high class"

Race System: Refers to the social heirarchy of non-European groups vs Europeans. For example, it would have been seen that a Native American was considered racially different (and inferior) to a European (who was superior).

Rather, instead of using race, a better term would be "ethnicity" because it relies on the persons CULTURE and not skin tone and such. The term 'ethnic' does not differentiate one group as being better than another, it simply means that the two groups have a different culture, which is the ONLY difference when it comes to people. No matter the color of your skin, you are still a human being.

Race does not exist, it is only a concept that allows for the subjugation of different people.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Stray Sheep Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

Races.. i'm not bothered with who or what races I speak with.
    I mean.. they're just like any human with a pair of ears, eyes, mouth and nose. What more could I care?
    I'm more concern of the individual than his/her races/religion/colour/ambition/whatever sh!t you can name.

Here's what I can gathered about why there are many racist in this world! :

[1] Because when different races meets with one another, amateurs will ask each other about their culture. So the way they present and deliver their cultures teaching sometimes seems to be inferior and sometimes obliging. In short, one might talk as if his/her culture is better than the rest. So this leads to.. racism. ^^

[2] Let's just say.. (example only!)you open your newspaper to find that a white girl was raped by a blackie. The following weeks you get the same type of news. Automatically you get the impression all blacks are like that. Perhaps even the other races thinks that ALL English man are snobbish just because they met ONE snobbish man. See how narrow can people be?

[3] Races are excuses used to categorize types of people. Many don't use the word 'races' to categorize cultures anymore. They use it to black list people!

I have more to state here but for now, I better stop. I might offend people.

Racism is a stupid thing. I don't need to be a white lady to hate chinese. I don't have to be an animal to hate humans. Simple as that! I look at the individuals, not their freakin colors~! XD baa~

if people really wanna classify people into their black list using 'races'.. they are dumb. Why not just black list entire mankind?
    For being a chinese, it does not mean that the chinese can be better than the indians for they too have the potential to be smelly and bad!
    As long as you are human, you too have the negative potential of what other races can resort to!

^_^ my apologise for drifting away formt he original topic? ^^ gomen.. >_<

< baa.. is stupid!
    [CENTER]+ Sheep Blogs at PaperDiaries +

AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Thanks

mmmm there are alot of smart things being said here.

I myself have no problem with races. You jus the same like me, jus tht you have a different shade of colour on ur skin. Of coz MFG knows wut my view is on this subject. racisms comes from fear of not being able to understand n prejudging others before even know wut they mean n stuff like. I guess the old timers might the type where they say y the hell did u marry tht *censored*?

But tht's them n they'll pass away onto the next life and we'll be able to carry on with our lifes.

Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

Stray Sheep Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun may be famous one day Aya-kun's Avatar
    Thanks

Races.. i'm not bothered with who or what races I speak with.
    I mean.. they're just like any human with a pair of ears, eyes, mouth and nose. What more could I care?
    I'm more concern of the individual than his/her races/religion/colour/ambition/whatever sh!t you can name.

Here's what I can gathered about why there are many racist in this world! :

[1] Because when different races meets with one another, amateurs will ask each other about their culture. So the way they present and deliver their cultures teaching sometimes seems to be inferior and sometimes obliging. In short, one might talk as if his/her culture is better than the rest. So this leads to.. racism. ^^

[2] Let's just say.. (example only!)you open your newspaper to find that a white girl was raped by a blackie. The following weeks you get the same type of news. Automatically you get the impression all blacks are like that. Perhaps even the other races thinks that ALL English man are snobbish just because they met ONE snobbish man. See how narrow can people be?

[3] Races are excuses used to categorize types of people. Many don't use the word 'races' to categorize cultures anymore. They use it to black list people!

I have more to state here but for now, I better stop. I might offend people.

Racism is a stupid thing. I don't need to be a white lady to hate chinese. I don't have to be an animal to hate humans. Simple as that! I look at the individuals, not their freakin colors~! XD baa~

if people really wanna classify people into their black list using 'races'.. they are dumb. Why not just black list entire mankind?
    For being a chinese, it does not mean that the chinese can be better than the indians for they too have the potential to be smelly and bad!
    As long as you are human, you too have the negative potential of what other races can resort to!

^_^ my apologise for drifting away formt he original topic? ^^ gomen.. >_<

< baa.. is stupid!

Adding more to my list of why people tend to discriminate other races~! : ^^

[4] Some races are majority poor like africans and those living in poverted countries. Some of them are lucky to study abroad. So when they find their way into other people's countries filled with other races, the others might get thoughts of how such a dirty low-life fella is wandering around. I must say this truth of what most people would think: "Ew.. this vietnamese don't belong to such high class society in Malaysia< (example)"
    It appears that way. Just because he/she comes from a poor country, the much fortunate citizens would compare their lifestyle with theirs negatively.

this is stuuuupid! XD
    bbaaaa~!!!
    [CENTER]+ Sheep Blogs at PaperDiaries +

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

But the term 'race' in its origin is used for descrimination. It's not like a taxonomy term such as "kingdom" "species" "order" or "family." It's used to destinguish a group of people as being lower value than you (which is what my previous post was about).

The reason you have racism is because people continue to use the word to describe others, which means that they accept an inherent difference between them and another person.

Like, for your last post, you say "some races are majority poor like africans..."
    Well, think about the statement. Africa is merely the name of the country that the person is born in, so, if you use to the term "race" and "african" together, you imply that ANYONE born in Africa is racially african. But that's not how it works. What is implied by saying "race" and "African" you are specifically talking about black people, which means they are not the same as white people. Now, I'm not saying you're racist, I'm just trying to show how the use of the term "race" creates thinking patterns that allow for racism to exist.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

why is this even a question? mixed race children are most resistant to disease and such, so why should it matter?

racism has nothing to do with who one can love or marry, nor should it.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Devil's Advocate TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23 may be famous one day TaurusDemon23's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, being mixed is good and all....but if you really can't claim one or the other.....It kills a bit of your self identity, especially if you have no clue on your true heritage........The Con of being a mutt.
    NoT tHe SiGgY yOu R lOOkInG 4
    Move Along.

Bored college student fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod may be famous one day fayt lingod's Avatar
    Thanks

lol, so don't concern yourself wth it.

thanks to zyta for the sick sig and avy!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast