+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Race Hostility in a Middle School

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Race Hostility in a Middle School

I couldnt find a link on this so ill sum it up.

A teacher(Elizabeth Kandrac/White Woman) in a Predominately all black Brentwood middle school in North Carolina was verbally assaulted and called White Bit**, White Motherfu****, White Cun*, and so on. Despite frequent complaints, school officals did nothing to intervene on her part. They said the students profanity against her was Part of their culture. School Officials said, "If she couldn't handle cursing, she was in the wrong school".

She then filed a complaint with the EEOC(Equal Employment opportunity Commission), and filed a lawsuit with the schools Principal and superintendent. Jurors found that the school was a racially hostile environment to teach in and awarded her $307,500 in damages for lost income, and emotional distress. The judge didn't agree with the jury's findings so the party's settled for $200,000.

Although Kanrac clearly suffered she was suspended from her job shortly after a story about her eeoc complaint appeared in a local newspaper, and her contract wasn't renewed.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________

So do you think the school was right in not defending her? Should a school be held responsible for the students Behavior? In this case the Black children got a free pass for their behavior because vulgar language was considered normal for there culture, and in which some kids heard this language at home.

update:

I uploaded the article i got this story from.

Article-Part 1
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Article1.jpg

Article-Part 2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Article2.jpg
    Last edited by Miroku4444; May 21, 2007 at 10:45 AM.

Newbie PocketLint is off to a good start PocketLint's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

The most racist part of this whole thing, is school officials trying to convince the teacher that her harassment was cultural! NO part of African American history or culture has anything to do with being a harrassing culture of people. Infact its the contrary. what exsists now, is distrust and hostility based on the harsh world we live in.

What that teacher should have been told was that she took a job in a place where perhaps the students are ignorant enough to harrass her. These students do not understand the teachers role in their lives. All they know is the hand they're dealt, and that the teacher isnt dealt that hand (but a better one). So then she must be against them.

Ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge. Is she not a teacher? Her job is to spread knowledge. In my opinion a good teacher would have fought to make an impact on these misguided students. Instead of crying victim and throwing in the towel.

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I don't agree with the school's actions. I don't think it's a school to begin with!
    And the most annoying part is that she was suspended, rather than the school admitting their mistakes they take it out on her. So what I think is that they shoul have replaced the school officials and put some strict rules to carry out discipline instead.

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

I find this thread quite amusing.

I have personally come across this type of situation more than I care to count. Whether is is middle school or highschool, race hostility in a mainly white or black school, I have been there and the atmosphere reaks danger in my opinon.

I completely disagree with the school officials and I whole heartedly respect here actions in filing a lawsuit. I respect here decision and I hope she uses that money to escape that pit forever.

There are so many places that look the other way and don't intervene; I am glad that someone finally did something about it. The school should absolutely be held responsible for their student's behavior. Most schools and associations I have come across are always mirrored by their exployees and or students who attend.

They reflect the schools and what morals/education the students are being introduced to.

Otaku fled79 may be famous one day fled79 may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    I find this thread quite amusing.

I have personally come across this type of situation more than I care to count. Whether is is middle school or highschool, race hostility in a mainly white or black school, I have been there and the atmosphere reaks danger in my opinon.

I completely disagree with the school officials and I whole heartedly respect here actions in filing a lawsuit. I respect here decision and I hope she uses that money to escape that pit forever.

There are so many places that look the other way and don't intervene; I am glad that someone finally did something about it. The school should absolutely be held responsible for their student's behavior. Most schools and associations I have come across are always mirrored by their exployees and or students who attend.

They reflect the schools and what morals/education the students are being introduced to.

I actually couldn't agree more with your opinion and probably couldn't have said it as well either.

Picture this though, she was a black woman in a predominantly white school where the students constantly shouted "Black B*tch" and so forth. The school told her that if she can't handle it she doesn't belong there. How fast do you think the NAACP would be involved? I bet you that more than just the school principal/vice would have been sued, probably the state. I also bet that they all would have been fired, and she'd have kept her job for life. Now of course I don't know this for certain, but ask yourself (everyone) how plausable it would be these days.

Brothers in Arms

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    So do you think the school was right in not defending her? Should a school be held responsible for the students Behavior? In this case the Black children got a free pass for their behavior because vulgar language was considered normal for there culture, and in which some kids heard this language at home.
    That is disgusting. I have a (Caucasian) friend who works at a tough, poor, predominantly black school in the States. Luckily, the kids love him. However, when he started out, he was in the same spot as Kandrac.

The school was wrong in not defending her. It undermines her authority as a teacher and gives the students the impression that they can be rude with no consequences whatsoever. The school should not be held responsible for the children's actions, though; racism is a learned behaviour - usually from the parents. Whatever the media says, such language is not the cultural norm. The school shouldn't have discontinued her contract, and if they felt they had no choice, they ought to have compensated her further.

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

the reason why that it was unfair? simple...it's money. i shows the true color of a person. all these racism crap is totally pointless...too all you racist out there! since you hate all colors, then what are you transparent and color blind?
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Newbie PocketLint is off to a good start PocketLint's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone think about the children?! Its so easy to put them down, to go running to the aid of this teacher. Yes I agree, shes a victim, but so are they. Most teachers know a bit about the school they are working at before they take the job.
    Ive been in schools like this.
    I've been a bi-racial (black and white) , middle school student in schools like this.

Those kids in alot of cases, have had MANY people who are supposed to be there for them ... walk out there lives. This teacher is just another person who quit THOSE KIDS. Not just a job.

Middle school kids a very impressionable, confused, at a point when they are supposed to be learning who they are. By everyone making a huge uproar of their bad behavior. Its just proving to them that all they are is young criminals. Because of situations like this thats what they end up becoming... Who knows what could have happened had this teacher been strong enough to stick it through with these kids.

If she could have just shown these kids that shes stronger than names being tossed around by middle school kids. If she could have proven that despite whos abandon them before, she will not... Those kids behaivor Im sure would have swayed. Im sure. I used to be one of these kids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast