+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 40

Thread: Race Hostility in a Middle School

  1. #9
    Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    681
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

    Quote Originally Posted by rematche View Post
    the reason why that it was unfair? simple...it's money. i shows the true color of a person. all these racism crap is totally pointless...too all you racist out there! since you hate all colors, then what are you transparent and color blind?
    What is unfair and how is that "money showing true color of a person" relate to this? Are you saying the school officials didn't intervine because there motivation was money or because money was the reason why they suspended her?
    ***************************
    Pocket what are you talking about? She was suspended by the school officials, so you could probably assume she didn't quit.

    Think about the children? Don't make me laugh. You may have been in a bi-racial middle school, but I am pretty sure you weren't in one that similar. You actually believe they were throwing racist comments at her because a few people walked out on them? I haven't just been in a couple of bi-racial schools during my life, I have lived in those states for years.

    A school is suppose to be a safe haven. Kids are surrounded by their peers in a place that is fairly comfortable to them. If you noticed any details from this story, you should be able to piece together that the uproar happened after the incident. The key point in figuring that out, is that fact that she was suespended after they settled the case and after the story got out into the newspapers. If there was such a huge issue during the process, that story would have been out long before she decided to file a lawsuit and the lawsuit would have been even more dramatic.

    She seemed pretty strong to me. For one, she is a white middle school teacher located in NC, within a prodominent black facility. She didn't just tuck her tail between her legs and run off, she took the matter to court. She could have easily just quit and moved to another location more suitable to her taste.

    Middle school kids aren't as helpless and innocent as you might think. Racist slurrs bing spouted with hate day after day, in the middle of a school, during class isn't exactly a small insignificant issue. That takes guts in itslef and a self confidence you don't find in very many places. From what I understnad, most education facilities don't allow that kind of behavior anywhere, let alone a middle school.

    One of those kids? I use to be one myself while living in Michigan. I know the situation pretty well, considering I have had front row seats to just about every possible outcomes these places can throw at you without dieing. Middle school kids. Plenty of them know exactly what they are doing and shouldn't be taken so lightly. Crimes can be committed by elementary students and threats are just the icing on the cake.

    And another thing, she tried to confide in her colleagues about the problem and they just brushed her off and accused her of practically being incompetent. What are you suppose to do when you seniors and fellow eployess turn their backs on you and leave you in the dark?
    Last edited by Tbaism; May 21, 2007 at 10:47 AM.

  2. #10
    Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,339
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

    Ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge. Is she not a teacher? Her job is to spread knowledge. In my opinion a good teacher would have fought to make an impact on these misguided students. Instead of crying victim and throwing in the towel.
    I don't think she signed on to be verbally assaulted racially. I bet she tried to do just that, but failed.

    Picture this though, she was a black woman in a predominantly white school where the students constantly shouted "Black B*tch" and so forth. The school told her that if she can't handle it she doesn't belong there. How fast do you think the NAACP would be involved? I bet you that more than just the school principal/vice would have been sued, probably the state. I also bet that they all would have been fired, and she'd have kept her job for life. Now of course I don't know this for certain, but ask yourself (everyone) how plausible it would be these days.
    The article mentioned just that, but i was trying to be PC about it. Your right about that though, just the double standards world we live in. The teacher would probably have a book and tv deal.


    Article-Part 1
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Article1.jpg

    Article-Part 2

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Article2.jpg
    Last edited by Miroku4444; May 21, 2007 at 10:44 AM.

  3. #11
    Horror movies rule Graveyard Champion Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2 may be famous one day Familyguyfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Malvern,AR
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

    There are alot of racist people around. I hate racist people! If a white person called me the n word I would not be happy! I think they are going to try to stop some black people from saying the n word to each other because some white people think they can do it.(It's some bury the n word thing I heard about) I'm black and I don't use that word. But Iam not offended if somebody black says it. I think the boondocks is going to be cancelled because of the bury the n word thing I heard about. I like that show! I don't want it to be cancelled because of the Civil Rights people.

  4. #12
    Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Friendly Fridley
    Posts
    1,477
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 140 Times in 121 Posts

    Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

    Quote Originally Posted by fled79 View Post
    Picture this though, she was a black woman in a predominantly white school where the students constantly shouted "Black B*tch" and so forth. The school told her that if she can't handle it she doesn't belong there. How fast do you think the NAACP would be involved? I bet you that more than just the school principal/vice would have been sued, probably the state. I also bet that they all would have been fired, and she'd have kept her job for life. Now of course I don't know this for certain, but ask yourself (everyone) how plausable it would be these days.

    No comparison! Have you ever lived in a predominately black neighborhood? Gone to a predominately black school? Have you ever seen what alot of African American innercity kids have to go through????!!!! I have

    They arent a bunch of white kids in the suburbs. They're kids who have probably seen more hell than what many go through in their lives.

    Im mixed as well PocketLint.. And I lived in the most poverty stricken, crime infested, hood in my state. Which SADLY was predominately african american. And when I went to school, I also went to a school like the one in question.

    I was also BAD, called teachers any name I could think up. Why? Because they acted affraid, like victims... But it was ME whos was threatened to be raped everytime I walked home. It was ME who had smell the crack\piss combonation in my alley. It was me who just needed one teacher to see past my "tough" act, and understand WHY I acted that way. Anger... Anger comes from pain.

    PocketLint I stand by you 100%
    ... Not Ever Again...

  5. #13
    Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,339
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 26 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

    Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    No comparison! Have you ever lived in a predominately black neighborhood? Gone to a predominately black school? Have you ever seen what alot of African American intercity kids have to go through????!!!! I have

    They aren't a bunch of white kids in the suburbs. They're kids who have probably seen more hell than what many go through in their lives.

    Im mixed as well PocketLint.. And I lived in the most poverty stricken, crime infested, hood in my state. Which SADLY was predominately African American. And when I went to school, I also went to a school like the one in question.

    I was also BAD, called teachers any name I could think up. Why? Because they acted afraid, like victims... But it was ME who's was threatened to be raped every time I walked home. It was ME who had smell the crack\piss combonation in my alley. It was me who just needed one teacher to see past my "tough" act, and understand WHY I acted that way. Anger... Anger comes from pain.

    PocketLint I stand by you 100%
    Yeah, but this is no excuse for those Students behavior. They shouldn't excuse their actions just because of this. This kind of behavior shouldn't be tolerated ever. Saying its because of how they grew up is a cop out. Not all kids that grow up in these environments act this way or at least to this extreme.

  6. #14
    Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    681
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

    Quote Originally Posted by Peach_follows View Post
    No comparison! Have you ever lived in a predominately black neighborhood? Gone to a predominately black school? Have you ever seen what alot of African American innercity kids have to go through????!!!! I have

    They arent a bunch of white kids in the suburbs. They're kids who have probably seen more hell than what many go through in their lives.

    Im mixed as well PocketLint.. And I lived in the most poverty stricken, crime infested, hood in my state. Which SADLY was predominately african american. And when I went to school, I also went to a school like the one in question.

    I was also BAD, called teachers any name I could think up. Why? Because they acted affraid, like victims... But it was ME whos was threatened to be raped everytime I walked home. It was ME who had smell the crack\piss combonation in my alley. It was me who just needed one teacher to see past my "tough" act, and understand WHY I acted that way. Anger... Anger comes from pain.

    PocketLint I stand by you 100%
    Are you trying to exclude the fact that white people also go through these situations day in and day out? Poverty and crime infested neighborhoods are all over the world. Are their situation suppose to be any better? I have seen plenty of soup kitchens massed with whites and blacks together plenty of times.

    We aren't talking about some shady alley in the bronx when we referr to this story. Those kids obviously didn't walk 500 miles to get to the school, so I could guess that the teacher wasn't too far from living in the same neighborhoods.

    You seem to have had some problems of your own in the past it seems, but usually those poverty stricken schools are filled with students aren't they? By what you say, you whole classroom should have been filled to the brim with "tough acting" youngsters. How is a teacher suppose to handle every single one of you and buren themselves to such an extent that they have to sacrafice parts of their lives and probably their families. Not everyone is a hero or a hospital willing to take in every victim.

    You scared the crap out of you teachers along with quite a few other kids in the class I can assume. You can't expect many people to acknolwedge every little detail for every single person when they people crying out are putting on a show most of the time.

    That there is just plain selfish. Two wrongs don't make a right and blaming the teachers because of society(ha if that is truly the problem) is just plain foolish. Don't expect a hell of a lot in that situation, because you probably won't recieve anything. The kid who spoke about his or her problems and treated the teacher like a human being gets the attention. They always will.

  7. #15
    Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,801
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts

    Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

    Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    What is unfair and how is that "money showing true color of a person" relate to this? Are you saying the school officials didn't intervine because there motivation was money or because money was the reason why they suspended her?
    well duh...think about it will ya.
    money is the solution and the problem in this predicament..school officials didn't intervine because it will cost them money, a lot of money. since after all, school itself is a business establishment where it's source of income is the parents of children in the school. why the children do these things? again money. why? poverty.
    even if the school didn't intervine, like now...money still get's involed. it went to the compliant namely the teacher.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

  8. #16
    Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Crystal Minnesota.
    Posts
    556
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 44 Times in 42 Posts

    Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    I couldnt find a link on this so ill sum it up.

    A teacher(Elizabeth Kandrac/White Woman) in a Predominately all black Brentwood middle school in North Carolina was verbally assaulted and called White Bit**, White Motherfu****, White Cun*, and so on. Despite frequent complaints, school officals did nothing to intervene on her part. They said the students profanity against her was Part of their culture. School Officials said, "If she couldn't handle cursing, she was in the wrong school".

    She then filed a complaint with the EEOC(Equal Employment opportunity Commission), and filed a lawsuit with the schools Principal and superintendent. Jurors found that the school was a racially hostile environment to teach in and awarded her $307,500 in damages for lost income, and emotional distress. The judge didn't agree with the jury's findings so the party's settled for $200,000.

    Although Kanrac clearly suffered she was suspended from her job shortly after a story about her eeoc complaint appeared in a local newspaper, and her contract wasn't renewed.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________


    So do you think the school was right in not defending her? Should a school be held responsible for the students Behavior? In this case the Black children got a free pass for their behavior because vulgar language was considered normal for there culture, and in which some kids heard this language at home.



    update:

    I uploaded the article i got this story from.


    Article-Part 1
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Article1.jpg

    Article-Part 2

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...s/Article2.jpg
    I agree with Pocketlint and Peach... This teacher should have A)known the environment that she was getting herself into... It's a well known fact that not a lot of teenage or younger kids MAKE FUN OF WHITE PEOPLE and clearly these kids KNEW which buttons to push with this teacher. dId these kids make these statments to aLL the teachers? Other students? I think it had nothing to do with racism in the end, just with tormenting the teacher.

    And schools have enough problems with funding and shit like htat without some whiney pussy getting upset over some CHILDRENS words... what are you teaching for if you can't handle the bad with he good?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Race
    By mixed fighter girl in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: Oct 31, 2006, 01:12 PM
  2. What is your race?
    By hellknight in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: Mar 25, 2006, 09:47 AM
  3. race
    By checo in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Aug 23, 2005, 06:59 PM
  4. Rich, Poor or Middle Class of Life?
    By The King of Fashion in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Aug 15, 2005, 09:06 AM
  5. What ethinic race would you consider yourself as?
    By winryrockbell in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: May 07, 2005, 09:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts