+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Race Hostility in a Middle School

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Race Hostility in a Middle School

You need to be prepared for the job you have ahead of you. Show some control, some authority. Dont go crying to officials, theres far more creative approaches to dealing with troubled youth. Im SO thankful I had teachers and family members who knew how to put me in my place instead of throw up their arms.
    She might have tried that but failed. Some teachers are better than others in dealing with troubled kids. Some are good teachers, but just dont know how to deal with these kids. Dam, why can it be like the old days where you were afraid of your teacher. You never gave em lip, and if you did you got the ruler or were sent to the principal.

Devoted Otaku bratling may be famous one day bratling's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    Right, and we need to teach them how to better control this anger. If they dont learn to do it now they will be in a world of trouble when they enter the real world.

How do you know, "She contributing to the problem, and Made these kids feel low and unwanted, just filling them with more anger and hatred"?? For all you know she was civil and really tried with them, and they just didnt give her a break. Its like your saying just because of there environment, the only way they can react to a white teacher is to insult her. Not all inner city kids are like this, to stereotype them this way is insulting.

When i said roles reversed, i meant if a Black teacher was teaching in an all white school, you would have condemn the kids. In this situation the teacher would have never went thru what she did, not in todays world.
    Sorry I misunderstood what you ment. And I would still say the same thing about this teacher. If she knew it was a racially charged enviroment AGAINST the race that she is/was, she should have known better then to teach there.
    Although SOCIETY, would make sure this doesn't happen to a black teacher. If it had been a black teacher the students would probably have been expelled and chastised. Yay for double standards. So no she wouldn't have gone through this. But I still stand by what I said in the first place. She shouldn't have taught at that school in the first place. (I didn't read the articles, I was going off whatever it was the origonal poster had to say. I -now- don't believe her race was the issue. We donno she mighta been a real big wench.)

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

What ever happened in becoming a teacher to TEACH. Since when was it a teachers job to be abused or even try to control a students behaviour?

Good on her for standing up. No one deserves to be treated like that by any one, whatever the race, whatever the age, whatever their job. Its not normal for any one to speak like that to a teacher or any one for that matter.

Otaku Mini Pool 2 Champion, England turkey bowling Champion Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess may be famous one day Namida Goddess's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the middle school was wrong by not defending her when the profanity and threats were obviously race related and when they could possibly escalate later. I don't believe it was fair that she was not able to return to teaching because she was protecting herself when the school that should have been on her side would do nothing.

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fled79 View Post
    I actually couldn't agree more with your opinion and probably couldn't have said it as well either.

Picture this though, she was a black woman in a predominantly white school where the students constantly shouted "Black B*tch" and so forth. The school told her that if she can't handle it she doesn't belong there. How fast do you think the NAACP would be involved? I bet you that more than just the school principal/vice would have been sued, probably the state. I also bet that they all would have been fired, and she'd have kept her job for life. Now of course I don't know this for certain, but ask yourself (everyone) how plausable it would be these days.
    Yes u is right about that, but what predominantly white school u know that is going to act like that..? The Institution of KKK, not saying their probably isn't any racist at a all white school, but they know when to be racist & when not to... And the situation would of went totally different... All the black teachers I knew when I was in school would of took control of the circumstances... I knew a teacher who got punched by another student... (Yes she was black & yes a woman & was in middle school) Long story short the boy who threw the punch got contained... The teacher checked her eye... She was crying of course, but I think more of less that the student had hit her & all she was trying to do was teach science... But I can't say cause she got hit pretty hard by a guy who had size on him... Well anyways she could of press charges & all that, but she knew that most of them kids up there was disturbed & needed help & that not all students at that school was like that & wanted to learn... Yes it was a challenge, but she took a 30 minute break & began back teaching & came back the next day stronger & more determined than ever... To be honest she was 1 of the best 7th grade teacher I had & that's no lie... The kids respected her even more cause of that incident... She probably right now can be spending that money she would of got from the school, but instead wanted to do her job that she committed to... And them was just words that teacher got in NC, this 1 actually got hit... So what was more of a hostile environment..? That teacher didn't like her job & wanted to get paid... In other terms took the easy way out... But I am not condoning the way the administration handle the situation, but I didn't like the role the teacher played either. Do your job not every student in your class wants to learn... But teach them anyway!!!

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    In some English-speaking countries, a public school is financed and operated by an agency of government which does not charge tuition fees; instead, financing is obtained through taxes or other government-collected revenues. This is in contrast to a private school (also known as an independent school). Here, the word "public" is used in the same sense as in "public library", that is, provided for the public at public expense. These public schools range in classes from kindergarten to four years of high school or secondary school, normally taking pupils up to the age of seventeen or eighteen...

...Given that most, if not all, public-school users benefit from government subsidies in attending public schools, thus incurring a lower cost (if any) to attend public schools than do their tuition-paying private-school counterparts to attend private schools, and given the existence, support for, and proliferation of private schools, at present it remains indeterminate whether public schools are a government entitlement program, or a feature of the welfare state. The issue is particularly contentious in the United States, where public-school curricula are fundamentally limited by principles of Constitutional law. - Wikipedia/subject: Public schools

I wonder if some of you knew this about public schools? Aside from attending private, slight increases in taxes are just about the only hard chunk of change that comes out of mommy and daddy's pocket. Even then, a majority vote is required by the populace of the village or town to raise or lower those taxes.

In other words, dragging a bunch of rotten kids into the auditorium and lecturing them for free, is far less costly than being sued for not taking any action what so ever. 200,000 dollars is what this woman recieved in the settlement. However way you want to look at it, that is not the most financially beneficial decision to make.

And by the way, it isn't a teachers job to be your best friend or savior. They are there to teach you and give you an education. If your class is being disruptive and not allowing you to properly fulfill the job requirements, that is a serious problem. When the students you are suppose to teach harrass you day after day, who can handle that? I am surprised she didn't get out the yard stick and start swinging. Then you talk to your boss and fellow co-works, and they say it is part of their culture? Who cares about society, they are saying it is part of the African American culture right?

By those terms, I can just assume that poverty, murder, rape, theft, gangs, and desperation comes with every black person that walks down the street. Way to sell out your people to the sterotype and take them down a notch after all the years of oppression. Ha, what a joke. That kind of crap is what makes a people in places like Missouri point their fringers and whisper at every passing black guy and/or mexican.

Are these kids so pathetic that every little thing is going to effect them? Has anyone actually been to a school and/or program that deals with these people? Has anyone ever noticed that most of them don't give up? You can beat them with bats and they will still say no. If kids are so useless today that they can't do a single thing for themselves even in some of the most desperate situations, than let them be. Either way, if they refuse to help themselves even with someone else willingly to pick up the slack, than be gone with them. You can't help people who don't want to be helped and refuse to do so. It doesn't matter if it is an act or not, sooner or later it will be too late.
    and with all your explanations...i still stand corrected in the and.
    money is still involved generally speaking.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

Devoted Otaku Tbaism may be famous one day Tbaism may be famous one day
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rematche View Post
    and with all your explanations...i still stand corrected in the and.
    money is still involved generally speaking.
    It is true that money was involved, but under the circumstances you mentioned, it wasn't to such an extent or even close for that matter. As you say yourself, you "still stand corrected in the end".

The articles weren't really indepth so there are too many missing variables to make any solid conclusion from fract. Basing an opinion from past experiences in all good and said, but we should base them on what is actually relevant to the situation.

Teachers are there to teach, they aren't there to discipline or turn the students into a model citizens; that is the job of/for the parents. We have had previous issues on this and the outcomes are nearly the same.

Whether or not she is to blame because she was white is purely circumstancial and has no real merit in this story. There were more teachers and students who were white that became witnesses in this case and they also were treated similar. I have been in plenty of predomantaley black school and racism was not tolerated. Students were either expelled or suspended in this situation, vice versa as well.

The school isn't theirs, nor is the state, and will never be seen as such. Splitting the races hasn't worked in the past so why would it be a solution now.

From what I understand, Martin Luther King Jr. won the majority vote, not Malcom X.

Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tbaism View Post
    It is true that money was involved, but under the circumstances you mentioned, it wasn't to such an extent or even close for that matter. As you say yourself, you "still stand corrected in the end".

The articles weren't really indepth so there are too many missing variables to make any solid conclusion from fract. Basing an opinion from past experiences in all good and said, but we should base them on what is actually relevant to the situation.

Teachers are there to teach, they aren't there to discipline or turn the students into a model citizens; that is the job of/for the parents. We have had previous issues on this and the outcomes are nearly the same.

Whether or not she is to blame because she was white is purely circumstancial and has no real merit in this story. There were more teachers and students who were white that became witnesses in this case and they also were treated similar. I have been in plenty of predomantaley black school and racism was not tolerated. Students were either expelled or suspended in this situation, vice versa as well.

The school isn't theirs, nor is the state, and will never be seen as such. Splitting the races hasn't worked in the past so why would it be a solution now.

From what I understand, Martin Luther King Jr. won the majority vote, not Malcom X.

the problem in that school isn't racism from what i've observed...it's really the lack of discipline. they should hire a more strict teacher or the teachers themselves should also be strict. and the best discipline is the old fashioned military style.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast