+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 9 to 13 of 13

Thread: Reason for Global Catastrophe: Humans?

  1. #9
    Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the end, it doesn' really matter.
    Posts
    907
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 47 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: Reason for Global Catastrophe: Humans?

    I have ta agree wit Arrianna wit this 1, it's easy ta place the blame on ppl than ta admit that somethin' that u don' completely understand is the cause of what's happenin' ta the world. By blamin' ppl, we put a face on an imagined catastrophe (not sayin' that man hasn' had it share of blame for the ailes of the environment) and think that if we're ta blame for it, then we're the solution. All to often, nature tries ta teach us a lesson in humility and that we have no control over her and all too often, mankind forgets the lesson. We can' control evrythin' that goes on in nature, heck; we can' even control a small portion of it. We need ta learn that we're not the reason why the sun shines, the moon rises, and the tide comes in. Ta learn that nature has her own way.

    Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

  2. #10
    Otaku Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore may be famous one day Barronmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    483
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Reason for Global Catastrophe: Humans?

    If you look at it, we are the main reason for the world’s consistent climate change.
    Actually, right now, according to the church of global warming, it's cow methane that is the 'greatest concern to the planet'. By man eating beef, were destroying the planet with methane gas. Never mind the fact that cows have been raised by man for thousands of years....it's only become a problem right now.

    But then again, in the 90's it was the evils of the combustion engine and all those horrible cars we have smogging up the planet. Except we cleaned that mess and technically smog can't destroy the ozone layer because it's to heavy to get to the ozone layer.

    In the 80's it was hair spray, and in the 70's we had global cooling going on. But both of those were supposed to destroy us in 10 years too.

    The fact of the matter is we can't really effect the planet on a whole. Oh, we can mess up portions of it pretty well...but effect the entire planet? Doubtful. Considering that Mount Saint Hellan's put more pollutants into the atmosphere in one day then all the the cars in the world combined did in one year i say we pretty much are on the far end of 'can't effect crap' scale.

    And of course the planet is very good at cleaning up after us for any actual damage we do to a section of it. When Prince William Sound was 'ravaged' by the cruel hand of capitalism, all the environmentalists rushed the beach with dawn dish soap in hand to clean up all the birds and beaches. It took them a year and it didin't work out that well....but a mile down the coast where no one took the time to clean up, mother nature did a fine job of cleaning up after her children. And in less time as well.

    So, why do we have this movement? It's about two factors...money and power (as it always is) and feeling good about yourself (afterall, your 'helping the environment).

    There is a lot of money and power in the environmental movement on all levels. We've seen new industries appear overnight with "carbon offsets" and these new mercury filled light bulbs that all all the rage. And don't forget the power. Enviornmentalists have congress wrapped around their finger. They pass laws to control what you can drive, what fuel you can use to drive, where that fuel can come from (apparently the Middle east is less important to environmentalists then Alaska is), what the fuel actually is, what light bulbs you can have in your home, how cool you can keep your house in the summer...etc. There are a lot of things that they control.

    Of course we accept all these limitations on our lifestyle because we want to feel like 'were making difference' even though were not. Look at carbon offsets if you don't believe me. Now, remember if we don't change our ways, the planet will be destroyed in 10 years we have to stop driving in all our SUV's and private jets...except the rich. They can just buy carbon offsets...Fly your private jet coast to coast for a political fund raiser? No problem. Plant a tree in and 2055 that tree will have offset your carbon emissions for your trip. Now you can feel better about it. Except the fact where your habbits really didn't change and you've doomed the planet in 10 years...we'll before your tree cleans up your mess in 2055.

    Or what about those new fangled CFL light bulbs. "If every house in America just bought one bulb it would have the environmental effect of removing 200 million cars from the road". Never mind the fact that they are toxic to both humans and the planet itself. After all, one of the primary ingredients is mercury - a very toxic and pollutant substance - and if the bulb breaks (which they will) you have to call out a environmental clean up unit to clean it up...as in this wonderful example here.But that's ok...it's for 'the environment'.

    My point is we can't harm the entire planet. The whole environmental movement is a joke. It started out as a good cause by well meaning people but has ballooned into something much more. The sad thing is that people are buying into all this fear mongering and granting power over their lives to other people who do not have their best interests at heart.

    I have no problem believing in climate change. After all, the planet's weather patterns have changed periodically though all of recorded history. But that we can cause or prevent it...that's well into the realm of fiction.

  3. #11
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Reason for Global Catastrophe: Humans?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rave_Grip View Post
    It works this way ^_^ -
    It also works like this:
    NASA - NASA Sees Arctic Ocean Circulation Do an About-Face
    "Our study confirms many changes seen in upper Arctic Ocean circulation in the 1990s were mostly decadal in nature, rather than trends caused by global warming," said Morison.

    "While some 1990s climate trends, such as declines in Arctic sea ice extent, have continued, these results suggest at least for the 'wet' part of the Arctic -- the Arctic Ocean -- circulation reverted to conditions like those prevalent before the 1990s," he added.

    and this:
    NASA - NASA Examines Arctic Sea Ice Changes Leading to Record Low in 2007
    Nghiem said the rapid decline in winter perennial ice the past two years was caused by unusual winds. "Unusual atmospheric conditions set up wind patterns that compressed the sea ice, loaded it into the Transpolar Drift Stream and then sped its flow out of the Arctic," he said. When that sea ice reached lower latitudes, it rapidly melted in the warmer waters.
    Which all adds up to we don't know jack, have much less to do with any of it then people admit, and are still learning why and how things happen with a long way to go before we know.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  4. #12
    ~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In the gallery
    Posts
    1,376
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts

    Re: Reason for Global Catastrophe: Humans?

    We could very well be the reason for the Apocalypse. But not being a deeply religious person, I think it come down to evolution - survival of the fittest. I mean well..people jump up and down about saving animals that humans are bringing to extinction. Yet (and correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't one of Darwin laws 'survivals of the fittest', adapting to your surroundings? Really if the other animals can't adapt to humans, maybe it was just natures course for all this too happen - and perhaps all this destruction of the environment, is just natures course aswell? maybe that's how humans die out, the inability to adapt to the changing climate. Not saying that we shouldn't do anyhting about our environment, it was just a curious thought I had once ^_^;

    Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    The fact of the matter is we can't really effect the planet on a whole. Oh, we can mess up portions of it pretty well...but effect the entire planet? Doubtful. Considering that Mount Saint Hellan's put more pollutants into the atmosphere in one day then all the the cars in the world combined did in one year i say we pretty much are on the far end of 'can't effect crap' scale.
    I won't disagree with you (we might not have an effect on the planet), but there is one major thing here - how do we know we can't? Unless some one can't prove to me that humans have been on the planet before and have been pumping out CO2 like no tomorrow and other pollutants and had no effect - we just don't know what kind of effect we have on the planet as a whole. We know so little about this planet, it's hard to say what effect we really could be having on it

    Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    So, why do we have this movement? It's about two factors...money and power (as it always is) and feeling good about yourself (afterall, your 'helping the environment).
    Why do we have it. Because we have greenish who think we have to save human kind. Not that disagree that it's all about money and power (because that it probably the only reason why governments and companies would start boasting green). But it has it's roots in people genuinely wanting to save the planet. It's because of the peoples demand in 'green' products and 'feeling good about themselves' did the corporate world realise that there is now money in it. And it is a sad thing that money is a good motivator.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    Or what about those new fangled CFL light bulbs. "If every house in America just bought one bulb it would have the environmental effect of removing 200 million cars from the road". Never mind the fact that they are toxic to both humans and the planet itself. After all, one of the primary ingredients is mercury - a very toxic and pollutant substance - and if the bulb breaks (which they will) you have to call out a environmental clean up unit to clean it up...as in this wonderful example here.But that's ok...it's for 'the environment'.
    and that is a classic example of governments not thinking right. Whatever scientist that told the government that these would be better solutions needs to be shot. Classic example really, quick bandaid solutions to make them look good and to be elected in next election, honestly need long term thinkers and, strong scientists who won't be bribed into make quick decision.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barronmore View Post
    My point is we can't harm the entire planet. The whole environmental movement is a joke. It started out as a good cause by well meaning people but has ballooned into something much more.
    and as much as I hate to say it, but it is true what you say. And having done two years in Environmental studies I can see that - even in just two years. We as students are told what never to do when it comes to the environment and policy making - yet there are more 'experienced' 'scientists' and 'environmental ministers' who go ahead and do it any way. That what comes when the environment becomes a business, a way for governments to look good, companies to make money - they demand quick, cheap solutions and the pressure is puts on the scientists to perform that way.

    I'd like to say it's the step in the right direction, but it's like one step forward then another 3 steps backwards.

  5. #13
    NalaMidnight Eggs Champion P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess may be famous one day P.R. Princess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    929
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts

    Re: Reason for Global Catastrophe: Humans?

    i think that we are speeding up the process not starting it. cause the earth will naturally warm up but by our actions and all the polution we are speeding up what was supposed to happen in like a couple hundred years.

    ~Falling in love one step at a time~
    ~ MYSPACE~AWESOME PLACE TO SAVE~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Global Warming
    By Candid in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Oct 21, 2007, 12:42 PM
  2. Humans... sheesh
    By RayMe in forum Poems
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Mar 29, 2007, 03:20 AM
  3. Global warming!
    By jaderabbit in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: Sep 01, 2006, 06:50 PM
  4. Global warming
    By GuardianAngel1292 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: Aug 04, 2005, 12:46 PM
  5. What are humans O.o?
    By jaderabbit in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: Mar 29, 2005, 05:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts