Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reflecting Ourselves

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Reflecting Ourselves

In college I had a splendid teacher with no life who taught us that when studying the classics it was important to realize that no matter where a book or play was set it was actually a refection of the beliefs and morals of the society that wrote it. Shakespeare was a really good example of that.

So occasionally I still think of that as I try and expand my horizons but I can't help but wonder if the advent of video media changed all that?

With the easy exposure of tv and video has it somehow actually changed and turned the other way around? Does popular society actually do their best to refect what they see in video media or is our video media still a refection of popular society?

Do we reflect Hollywood or does Hollywood reflect us?

What do you think?

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Reflecting Ourselves

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    Do we reflect Hollywood or does Hollywood reflect us?
    I think the line is somewhat blurry at this point; people find comfort in movies and television that reflect who they are, and at the same time there are many who model their behavior and beliefs on what they see in movies and on television. Hollywood and society feed each other, and the cycle continues until everyone's had enough of the same old thing. Frankly, looking at what passes for entertainment these days, I'm pretty sure our current society will be remembered as dull-witted, violent, and easily amused.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

I saw a television show awhile back that sort of talked about this....it was about how societal fears are reflected in movies and television. I can't think of all the examples they gave to support their idea, but a couple of them were:

1) 1980's: In the 80's, many of the movies that were big budget money makers were alien films, and the show argued that the aliens and monsters were supposed to reflect societal fears with the U.S.S.R.
    2) 1990's: Many of the big films were family oriented, which was supposed to reflect how societal fears had calmed down now that the U.S.S.R had collapsed
    3) 2000's: A lot of the flicks being pumped out are the superhero movies, which is supposed to reflect societal fears towards terrorism, and how people are wanting a hero.

The show was........interesting....but I'm not so sure of it's conclusions.

As for my own opinion, I'm not sure if things have really changed between Shakespeare's time and our own. I think the only thing that really changes with video media is accessibility. Most houses have televisions, so they can simply click on the tube anytime they want. Back in Shakespeare's day, the accessibility of his plays was nowhere near as great.....the only way of coming into contact with the play was travelling to somewhere that was performing it, and if you lived out in the countryside, that was almost impossible. Any written texts of the play were also useless, because the majority of the public at the time couldn't read, which is why plays were such an important part of the society.

I think to answer your question, I would have to say it's not the media itself which creates the difference, but instead advertising within the media and the growth of better economical situations.

I'm sure that during a presentation of one of Shakespeare's plays, he wouldn't hide a bottle of "Carl's Fine Ale" in the background, to increase sales of ale. Turn on the television, or go to the movies, and you'll see advertisement everywhere, with coke cans and pepsi cans aplenty. Even if Shakespeare was flouting Carl's Fine Ale in his plays, the majority of the people watching wouldn't be able to afford it.....

Back in the 90's, Jennifer Aniston's hair from 'Friends' was the biggest fad going.....Coke gets millions of dollars a year from product placement in movies and tv.....and people actually flock to buy clothing that looks like stuff worn in movies, and so on and so forth....

It's at that point when people start asking if the dog's wagging the tail, or if the tail's wagging the dog....I have to say that it's a bit of both.

Also, plays back then were 'morality' plays, and acted as a form of entertainment while also containing a lesson, unlike today, where accessibility has allowed people to create films simply for entertainment, without any moral lesson.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Should I make this a debate/discuss thread instead?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Beats me, that's your choice. I had the worst time trying to decide where to put it to begin with.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Debate/discuss it is!

Shichibukai JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie may be famous one day JefferyXie's Avatar
    Thanks

If people read the books carefully,they would realize that it talks about a certain moral and belief that has something to do in our society.i reckon,that tv does it as well though it doesn't convey it that clearly.Some of the media is based on things that happen in books so of course it should reflects on the morals and beliefs in our society.However,at times the media may get the wrong impression of certain things so it doesn't really neccessraily reflect on the things that is reflected in the books it came from.

Thanks

I can't really say that plays have changed that much since Shakespeares time. They still have to succeed or fail based upon constant attendance by a paying public.

...I will agree that even today visual media has to abide by a societal tolerance level or risk being marginalized.

That is also a good point about books JefferyXie.

Now thinking about it I don't think it's that the reflection has changed so much as who they are reflecting.

Perhaps the difference is that the countries have gotten so large? We have many different cultures in a single country. Perhaps it is just that Movies and TV simply reflect the culture that makes them but that culture may actually be a subculture to the rest of the country. If so it does not reflect the country in general only "Hollywood" in specific.

Think about it. Books are still written by people all across society. However can we say that about the majority of the video media? Who makes them? What are their beliefs and morals?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast