+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Reincarnation or heaven and hell?

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Reincarnation or heaven and hell?

Quote Originally Posted by Rave_Grip View Post
    If reincarnation did exist, it would've meant that the soul is reincarnated. But if that's the case, how come the actual psychics who actually talk to souls [the really good ones on the T.V] and get information/feelings, how come they do it? How is it possible?...
    It isn't possible.

Reincarnation, as a tenant of major organized religion, originated in India with Hinduism and expanded to all schools of Buddhism (which also originated in India). There are minor writings on reincarnation in other religions and folklore in many cultures implying that punishment by being reborn into the body of a "lower" animal is possible... but generally speaking, our present experience would seem to make it painfully obvious that, if we are reincarnated, we can not remember our past incarnations.

In Buddhism, very few people CAN access their past lives. But they are the enlightened. The measure of "enlightenment" varies from sect to sect: but in every case... it's not something that housewives from Topeka, Kansas can achieve in one lifetime. It's hard... and quite a few Buddhist groups believe that it's no longer possible at all.

Most of us will never access our past lives. At least, not until the coming of Maitreya, who is supposed to make enlightenment possible again (and for a greater range of people, in a much shorter time period).

Then again, common sense also dictates that people can not communicate directly with the dead, take direct dictation from God or saw women in half. And yet, people appear on television claiming to do all three all the time.

The most obvious explanation is that they are lying.

Though there is a mental "quirk" that may explain away the feeling of "deja-vu" and false memories in coached children. Perhaps the way our brain is wired is at the root of those with false memories of pasts as Cleopatra or Marie Antoinette?

Banned Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip may be famous one day Rave_Grip's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    It isn't possible.

Reincarnation, as a tenant of major organized religion, originated in India with Hinduism and expanded to all schools of Buddhism (which also originated in India). There are minor writings on reincarnation in other religions and folklore in many cultures implying that punishment by being reborn into the body of a "lower" animal is possible... but generally speaking, our present experience would seem to make it painfully obvious that, if we are reincarnated, we can not remember our past incarnations.

In Buddhism, very few people CAN access their past lives. But they are the enlightened. The measure of "enlightenment" varies from sect to sect: but in every case... it's not something that housewives from Topeka, Kansas can achieve in one lifetime. It's hard... and quite a few Buddhist groups believe that it's no longer possible at all.

Most of us will never access our past lives. At least, not until the coming of Maitreya, who is supposed to make enlightenment possible again (and for a greater range of people, in a much shorter time period).

Then again, common sense also dictates that people can not communicate directly with the dead, take direct dictation from God or saw women in half. And yet, people appear on television claiming to do all three all the time.

The most obvious explanation is that they are lying.

Though there is a mental "quirk" that may explain away the feeling of "deja-vu" and false memories in coached children. Perhaps the way our brain is wired is at the root of those with false memories of pasts as Cleopatra or Marie Antoinette?
    I don't know, the name Helen Kelly is stuck in my head since I was young. And I still don't know her. :S

Anywho, have you seen the show "John Edward Cross Country"? I don't believe that can be a set up?

Newbie ShellBullet is off to a good start
    Thanks

well i believe that once you die you have the option of rencarnate or stay in the heaven or hell cuz i think only one life is not enough for all

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rave_Grip View Post
    I don't know, the name Helen Kelly is stuck in my head since I was young. And I still don't know her. :S

Anywho, have you seen the show "John Edward Cross Country"? I don't believe that can be a set up?
    John Edward: Hustling the Bereaved; Investigative Files (Skeptical Inquirer November 2001)
    The Biggest Douche in the Universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for Helen Kelly... Helen Keller.

That's probably where you've come up with the name.

Generally speaking, those who remember their past lives genuinely want to. And belief, by nature, is easier to come by when it's something you want to believe.

Perhaps that explains why those who remember their "past lives" are almost always famous celebrities, royalty, tragic figures or heroes. Rarely do you hear about a man claiming to be "Jim Trunker the drunken middle ages stableboy" or "Henry Smith, the 1958 dictionary salesman".

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    False memory syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Otaku Caixa 2006 Champion Corvus may be famous one day Corvus may be famous one day Corvus's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok not that any of you care...
    This is what I propose.
    Suppose that after we die we were eventually returned to our bodies but allowed to live a life without death... then in that life we could either perfect ourselves or take longer then some people who decide to be distracted for a time with things that they will eventually become bored of.
    Basically a sort of reincarnation but to get our bodies we must wait until everyone has had a chance to claim which is theirs and then once it is all said and done in that respect true progression can continue for some begin for others and wait for others still... It's the best of both worlds, that also allows us to enjoy this life as much as possible without wasting it on scuicide just because we want to be one of our favorite animals or exist in a different time.

... and join my rebellion against time.

Messenger of Despair Hive Hero Champion dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman may be famous one day dark angel swordsman's Avatar
    Thanks

I believe in Heaven and Hell, which is why I try to act my best akk the time...I'm a good boy. >_>

I'd Like to believe in reincarnation because the thought of death terrifies me and the main reason I don't actually believe in it is because I'm not that type of religion and I'm also not easily swayed in opinions.
    http://www.animeonline.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7987&dateline=1181515  689
    I won't let this world exist without me! If I die, we all die! / Avatar & Signature by anime_8000.

Otaku Caixa 2006 Champion Corvus may be famous one day Corvus may be famous one day Corvus's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm not trying to say that you should be easily swayed or even trying to sway you myself but I think that you should be willing to explore fully what it is that you believe and you'll be surprised what comes out of the intellectual recesses of your own lifetimes experience.

I used to be solid in my belief of only heaven anf hell but then if our god is a merciful ruler who loves us so much would he not want to raise us to be like him and if men were made in his image... then the ideals of a good father would be the ideals that he upholds (a guy because joseph would've got pregnate if god were a girl) patience, understanding and love.

... and join my rebellion against time.

Otaku Cruisin with crush Champion, Animal Rescue Champion abby724 is off to a good start abby724's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WishIcouldlivemore View Post
    I was wondering is it better to believe in reincarnation or heaven and hell...
    Which is better.. To me, it's a question of "Which sounds more pleasant?" First of all, I'm an atheist who's studied sociobiology, so the whole religion thing is out the window for me. But to answer your question...

The Christian idea of heaven and hell doesn't sound very pleasant... Because according to those ideals, I'd definitely be going to hell. :laughs: But if all went according to my otiose, hopeless fantasies, then I would most definitely going to heaven, of which, according to said dreams, is full of women in red lin— no, I shouldn't force my beliefs onto any of you.

Regarding Buddhism, I have to say it doesn't appeal to well for me, either. The whole reincarnation thing takes out that extra tidbit of value that death adds to life; if I have to work through several lives just to reach paradise, then I'm just going to live my current lives as much as I can. It's not like I'll be able to remember what happened before, anyway... And so far, I don't remember anything about a past life right now.
    GALERIE : Limited Internet access for certain reasons...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast