+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Results 97 to 104 of 126

Thread: Religion

  1. #97
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by Lardo View Post
    I honestly did read your explanation. I read your whole post. Twice in fact to really understand what you were saying. (There sure was a lot )

    I realise that I didn't make it clear that the 10 Commandments and the 7 sins aren't connected. (Yet they are still related to God) It's just a question I really can't get my head round. I couldn't follow someone who commits sins that we were warned not to commit. Isn't it similar to one of those 'Loophole Exceptions'?

    God could of Worshipped another God, just like that Theory that you mentioned. That sounds similar to 'Chariots of the Gods', a book about how all of Man's Gods have actually been Aliens.
    I would say it's a matter of perception actually. I perceive no loopholes at all.

    As for the other, , I'll leave that realm of question to modern "philosophers". Mind you discussing Aliens as possible gods, while fun, is a little pointless. First you have to define exactly what makes them Aliens. Ah, threadjacking.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  2. #98
    Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 84 Times in 68 Posts

    Re: Religion

    Now where have I been in all this!? Anyway lets see:

    Quote Originally Posted by Lardo View Post
    You... agree..? Wow! You even simplified your explanation with Smilies

    I'm glad that someone finally realises that I'm not an Anti-Christ and that my main beef is with the people who 'Control' Religon. Although for me to truley accept God I need some more evidence, but thats just my own 'Hard Headedness'
    I think you miss the whole point of religion…it is about you and you alone. Now don’t get me wrong…that is not to say that you aren’t suppose to spread the “good cause” it is that you aren’t responsible for what others do with it.

    People are responsible for what THEY do, believe, say etc… not the actions of others so don’t worry about those that try to “control” religion…as long as you are sound in what you believe then it shouldn’t matter. Your only concern is your “relationship” with God and it is a relationship regardless of what religion or absence there of thus the beauty of it all.

    As far as proof? Asking for such things as proof…well that is anti-religion and anti-science, lol. Meaning religion is about the faith of things unseen, the belief of the unknown…true things around you can provide evidence which supports your cause but that isn’t the point…the point is religion is about faith or hope in that which you believe and it should require no evidence otherwise it isn’t faith. Kind of hard to grasp why any logical person would do that, believe in the unknown with no proof, but then again we (meaning all of us) do it everyday.

    Weather you are an Agnostic, Evolutionist, Buddhist, Christian whatever…you believe things that there simply is no “proof” for. I say this because in order to prove something you have to test it in every instance and possibility there could be and frankly nothing currently can be tested to those extents so nothing can technically be proven…or at least that is what science tells us. Seriously ask any scientist if they can “prove” anything and they will tell you no! Why? Because they can only test things and say the evidence of that test “suggests” something to be true or false.

    Nothing more nothing less, so again asking for proof is pointless…test life all you wish but realize not everything will give you the same results as if would for someone else thus what can be certain? Nothing, find something worth believing in and then go with it.

    My 2 cents!


  3. #99
    Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    here, there, everywhere
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts

    Talking Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    Now where have I been in all this!? Anyway lets see:



    I think you miss the whole point of religion…it is about you and you alone. Now don’t get me wrong…that is not to say that you aren’t suppose to spread the “good cause” it is that you aren’t responsible for what others do with it.

    People are responsible for what THEY do, believe, say etc… not the actions of others so don’t worry about those that try to “control” religion…as long as you are sound in what you believe then it shouldn’t matter. Your only concern is your “relationship” with God and it is a relationship regardless of what religion or absence there of thus the beauty of it all.

    As far as proof? Asking for such things as proof…well that is anti-religion and anti-science, lol. Meaning religion is about the faith of things unseen, the belief of the unknown…true things around you can provide evidence which supports your cause but that isn’t the point…the point is religion is about faith or hope in that which you believe and it should require no evidence otherwise it isn’t faith. Kind of hard to grasp why any logical person would do that, believe in the unknown with no proof, but then again we (meaning all of us) do it everyday.

    Weather you are an Agnostic, Evolutionist, Buddhist, Christian whatever…you believe things that there simply is no “proof” for. I say this because in order to prove something you have to test it in every instance and possibility there could be and frankly nothing currently can be tested to those extents so nothing can technically be proven…or at least that is what science tells us. Seriously ask any scientist if they can “prove” anything and they will tell you no! Why? Because they can only test things and say the evidence of that test “suggests” something to be true or false.

    Nothing more nothing less, so again asking for proof is pointless…test life all you wish but realize not everything will give you the same results as if would for someone else thus what can be certain? Nothing, find something worth believing in and then go with it.

    My 2 cents!


    Ok... I'll disagree and agree with u in this.
    1. It is true that asking for a proof is pointless, but that does not mean that the ppl that ask for proofs are wrong... those ppl are just a liiittle more hard headed than others . It is ok to ask . Christianity is based on faith. I agree 1000% in that -yes it is a thousand- But that does not mean all ppl have that faith. (even christians )... even you and me have failed in that sometime and we ask God a reason and a why... don't we? ... and that is asking for a proof... isn't?, we 're humans, we have moments of lacking , and that is totally ok . What is not ok is to stay in that lacking position and never get up.

    2. I'll disagree with u that a relationship with God is "just personal." If it just depends in your "personal" realtionship and opinion... the church becomes meaningless... and God Himself instituted the Church as the messenger of God here on earth. Remember that God thruogh His word describes the chush as a whole, -not individual- "The Body of Christ" (I Cor. 12). Paul in His letters -inspired by God- commands the communion IN church. If the realationship depends just in urself and God, the spiritual gifts and talents become useless because they are to serve in the kingdom from the church...
    The individualism is a human thing.

    I just wanna make sure I understood what you're saying and if I did I gave you my points why I agree and desagree with u. If I misunderstood I appologize.
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

  4. #100
    Otaku Lardo is off to a good start
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Under Your Bed!
    Posts
    127
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Religion

    @ lebasiara & chiefblackhammer: I suppose asking for evidence makes me sound more scepticale than I think I am, but things happen to people that make them believe in God and nothing will shake that belief. Even if they were Atheists before. Then again, the Big Bang Theory is just as questionable.

    "So, if the Big Bang was caused by tiny particles massing together, where did these tiny particles come from?"

    See what I mean? In fact, God seams much more reasonable as there is actual documented evidance of God.
    A man may fight for many things: his country, his priciples, his freinds. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a Ton of cash, an amusing clock and a stack of french porn!

  5. #101
    Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Posts
    1,887
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 84 Times in 68 Posts

    Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by lebasiara View Post
    Ok... I'll disagree and agree with u in this.
    1. It is true that asking for a proof is pointless, but that does not mean that the ppl that ask for proofs are wrong... those ppl are just a liiittle more hard headed than others . It is ok to ask . Christianity is based on faith. I agree 1000% in that -yes it is a thousand- But that does not mean all ppl have that faith. (even christians )... even you and me have failed in that sometime and we ask God a reason and a why... don't we? ... and that is asking for a proof... isn't?, we 're humans, we have moments of lacking , and that is totally ok . What is not ok is to stay in that lacking position and never get up.

    2. I'll disagree with u that a relationship with God is "just personal." If it just depends in your "personal" realtionship and opinion... the church becomes meaningless... and God Himself instituted the Church as the messenger of God here on earth. Remember that God thruogh His word describes the chush as a whole, -not individual- "The Body of Christ" (I Cor. 12). Paul in His letters -inspired by God- commands the communion IN church. If the realationship depends just in urself and God, the spiritual gifts and talents become useless because they are to serve in the kingdom from the church...
    The individualism is a human thing.

    I just wanna make sure I understood what you're saying and if I did I gave you my points why I agree and desagree with u. If I misunderstood I appologize.
    Actually you did misunderstand, first in the aspect that I spoke generically not in Christian terms. There is no such thing as the "church" to a Buddhist so you can't say God instituted the "church" for them given, their definition of god didn't.

    Basically the "individualism" comes into play in the fact that no one else can believe something for you. This hold trues in Christianity as well, just because I go to church doesn't mean I am "saved" or even believe in God. Beliefs and faith is personal, I don't need a church to believe in God. Don't get me wrong I am not denouncing the church I am just stating if I was the only one who believed then I alone am the church.

    When you refer to a passage make sure your point is within context of that passage. The passage you referred was geared to the people of Corinth because they were divided as to who was better (more spiritual) because of the "gifts" they had. Paul spoke mainly in the fact that we as Christians are all equal in the eyes of God, and used the metaphor that we were all part of same faith and should work together not compete with each other.

    My point is that the passage is geared to believers of Christ...how can I be part of the body of Christ unless I believe in Christ? That means I have to have a personal relationship first! And the church (building) doesn't do that, it was meant for a place for those how have a personal relationship to come together with other believers and worship God.

    This is it, all...nothing more...we are to attend and worship but it has no basis for the state of your personal relationship. That is our own personal responsibility to maintain, if I go to church but have no personal relationship I won't have much basis for worship at church. So yes it is solely personal, but as anything truly personal and important to you then IT will show through in your life and you will share it with others.


  6. #102
    Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    here, there, everywhere
    Posts
    1,082
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts

    Wink Re: Religion

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer View Post
    Actually you did misunderstand, first in the aspect that I spoke generically not in Christian terms. There is no such thing as the "church" to a Buddhist so you can't say God instituted the "church" for them given, their definition of god didn't.

    Basically the "individualism" comes into play in the fact that no one else can believe something for you. This hold trues in Christianity as well, just because I go to church doesn't mean I am "saved" or even believe in God. Beliefs and faith is personal, I don't need a church to believe in God. Don't get me wrong I am not denouncing the church I am just stating if I was the only one who believed then I alone am the church.

    When you refer to a passage make sure your point is within context of that passage. The passage you referred was geared to the people of Corinth because they were divided as to who was better (more spiritual) because of the "gifts" they had. Paul spoke mainly in the fact that we as Christians are all equal in the eyes of God, and used the metaphor that we were all part of same faith and should work together not compete with each other.

    My point is that the passage is geared to believers of Christ...how can I be part of the body of Christ unless I believe in Christ? That means I have to have a personal relationship first! And the church (building) doesn't do that, it was meant for a place for those how have a personal relationship to come together with other believers and worship God.

    This is it, all...nothing more...we are to attend and worship but it has no basis for the state of your personal relationship. That is our own personal responsibility to maintain, if I go to church but have no personal relationship I won't have much basis for worship at church. So yes it is solely personal, but as anything truly personal and important to you then IT will show through in your life and you will share it with others.
    When I cited you to I Cor. was cos I wanted u to remember that THE CHURCH IS ONE, and that is not the only passage ofthe bible that talksk about that, I'm sure you know that cos your answer, so yes i looked at the context before send the comment. I didn't say that the church was all... Maybe I made the mistake to not state that the ralationship "starts" being personal... but my point is it does not stays there. Yes it starts personal, I agree with that, but also becomes important to be part of community of faith. For Buddists Iknow God didn't start anything, non even their religion.
    It is true that no one else can believe anything for me, I know that.
    FOr me the relationship with God (non-general religion but christianity) order is this: Personal
    Family
    Church
    community

    Don't get me wrong I do believe in personal relationshop with the Lord.
    Well, sorry, got to go have a class, this answer is not complete. I'll complete it later.
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

  7. #103
    Otaku MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan may be famous one day MistressMorgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Im not sure but someone get me out of here!
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Religion

    So with the new claims of finding Jesus' tomb, where does that leave christianity? If he had a son doesnt that prove the bible wrong? (Please keep in mind that I dont know very much about what the bible says about Jesus). Does anyone know how this will effect religion?

  8. #104
    Moderator Fling The Cow Champion, Abba The Fox Champion deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18 may be famous one day deodaclan18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Religion

    I knew someone was going to bring this up. Cameron is full of crap. There is no way he can prove 100% that is jesus's tomb. First, by dna he can only prove people in there were related. They don't have jesus's dna to prove it is him. Also, the names in the tomb, although related to jesus and people around him, were very common names back then. As for the place of the tomb, it isn't even near where jesus was born and raised. Read:

    Geographic Travels with Catholicgauze!: James Cameron and Raiders of Jesus' Tomb

    I'm sure a lot of non believers will use this as a way to disprove religion talking about how jesus had a son, when it can't even be proven 100%. It's just a theory.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Religion Bad?
    By nb194 in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Sep 30, 2006, 12:10 AM
  2. religion
    By ace_resistance in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 17, 2006, 08:18 AM
  3. What (Religion) are you??
    By darksolovely in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: Dec 26, 2005, 07:41 PM
  4. religion
    By Wing 0 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Sep 15, 2005, 09:10 AM
  5. What religion are you?
    By Brittle_Bullet999 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Aug 21, 2005, 10:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts