+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Religion Bad?

Otaku Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk's Avatar
    I live in South Africa and i was born in Pretoria.
    Thanks

Re: Is Religion Bad?

Fanatics is the basis of the big problems with anything we do or let me say overdo.Too much of a good thing becomes bad either for the person or society so yeah what does it boils down too.

Controll who has and who don't.
    Can u control your desire and channel it positively or negatively.

If u grew up in the city and had a education and i grew up in the Bush with the wild as my teacher who would hesitate to kill someone who is hostile me or U ...... Zeroenix
    If u can answer that then u know what the impact rules have on your life.... may it come from religion/education/goverment.

So yeah i say u would hesitate the educated one.

Otaku Sincere may be famous one day Sincere may be famous one day Sincere's Avatar
    Thanks

Religion itself isn't bad, but what it leads to most times is. I myself believe in God and all that stuff, and think about it, but I don't go to church and be around those people. Around here, those people are no more innocent than the rest of us, but suddenly change their attitudes when they walk through the church doors. After that, they don't care. Some are controlling too, telling you how to be in too many ways and everything. At our youth group one night, I remember we were told that we weren't worth the ground we walk on. We're nothing and we basically suck. The next day, they taught that we were absolutely perfect because God made us. I ended up with the conclusion that I'm better off without someone confusing me, I'll believe what I want. I think when religion is pushed and forced and when people's lives are taken, it is bad. Taking lives is not a religion, it is a hobby that bad people have.

I think that when God asked people to follow his ways, he did not mean for them to become controlling about it.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Julia\My Documents\My Pictures\Siggy.jpg
    A white rose no longer alone
    I know who's heart it is to represent
    I didn't pick it, but i let it grow
    For he's the one that's heaven sent. :
    I love you, my White Rose.: The Poop Forums

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Warning the first instance of flaming, and this gets closed. Lets keep it civil, good job so far.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

i agree with Spymonk and sincere. they are both very well explained.

Religion is something where we shouldn't use it as an excuse for killing. Not only is not right but people are just using as a way out. as a christian my self, i admit i don't believe in everything the bible says. for some of it i disagree with as a person. but as previously stated, religions is a sense of control that some believe in to be the true way to life. But then without the religious control our self control would not be enough to help sustain a peaceful life because as humans we are easily pursuaded and weak at times so self control is not really enough. We look to guidence, seeking help from something that has the ablity to help. For some, religion is to help ease an unsettled mind.

As for the first post. my responce is that out off all of the stated times, there has been this one leader to whom, to my self seems corrupted and there for like previously stated, the followers them selves have been corrupted so there is a so called "kink" in the system because if someone kills someone in the name of religion, say Christianity, there is always going to be something in the bible saying different. Like the verse "Do to others as you would like them to do to you" (Luke 6:31).

Really is all about which parts of their religion believe in more strongly and the others they disagree with. So it co-incides with a persons point of view and how they see things.

However, i do strong disagree with killing to prove your religion. Not only do people get caught in the cross fire but the out come is usually ends with their death.

so in responce to your question.."do you still think religion is good? Why?". each religion has good and bad points, there is never a godly religion that is perfect.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Newbie SuperDude22 may be famous one day SuperDude22 may be famous one day SuperDude22's Avatar
    Thanks

My opinion, religion is just a band-aid to cover the wound.

Banned Shinobi- may be famous one day Shinobi- may be famous one day Shinobi-'s Avatar
    Thanks

religon it's bad like every thing else it is the poeple that have it and use it that can take it to far and do bad thing with it for the most part it is somthing that gives us hope. and reason to do good in the world

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nb194 View Post
    Religion has slaughtered, tortured and mutilated more human beings than any other force on earth.
    There is one big problem with your statement...RELIGION cannot kill anyone. It isn't a physical thing like a virus; only a belief structure and ultimately only PEOPLE can kill people. I understand by reading the rest of your statement to what you were actually referring to (which is that the real problem is people killing others in the “NAME” of religion).

I do not disagree with the fact that throughout history many millions have been slaughtered and tortured in the "NAME" of religion. However is it the religion that taught that or did a few elect take the religion form it into a perversion and then used the perversion as a means of backing for their own insane motives? And even if religion was not there could you really say that the events would not have still happened? (Hitler for example).

Yes, If you study any religion you can find a justification for murder (some are looser then others as to when this is acceptable) however NO religion teaches the blatant outright destruction of another without a cause (mainly self preservation, others could justify murder when it comes to something that is considered an abomination to their “god”, preservation of the kingdom such as that of Rome or revenge i.e. an eye for an eye.) Furthermore if you took religion out of the picture then do not our own laws give us a means for justification of murder for almost the same reasons?

BUT when it all boils down it is still the choice of the individual to take another’s life, to do “right” or to do “wrong”. I can see few reasons for it the act of killing another which would be acceptable but ultimately I have my own choice to make when it comes to it, I cannot hide behind religion or ever truly use it to justify my actions. It is my own choice. It is a matter of ethics not religion and frankly ethics is like an opinion, it is all in the eye of the beholder. What is right to me may not be right to you, thus we have things like religion and laws to guide us to “acceptable behavior” within society in an effort to prevent chaos.

Now it is easy to point at instances in history and say “wrong” or “right” but you weren’t there and can’t say that you would have done things differently. Nor can you say that religion as a whole is a bad thing because people in the past have taken it and done what you consider “wrong” with it. I for one follow a particular religion and have done NOTHING that would constitute or be considered immoral or unlawful but by your definition I am just as guilty as those in the past because I follow the same right?

You ask how religion is a good thing. I say it is because it is the reason for which I am whom I am. Now I say to you, how is that a bad thing?

On a side note very good topic, I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts

Otaku Speed Cards Champion, Foxhole 13 Champion, Commander Keen - Marooned on Mars Champion, Block Down Champion, Cubis 2 : Arcade Champion, Animal Connect Champion, Color Reactor 2 Champion, Crystal Clear Champion, Cubis 2 : Morph-Fun Champion, SputNik Champion, Blast The Enemy Champion, Prison Escape Champion, Shock Defence Champion ConradGuravitch103 may be famous one day ConradGuravitch103 may be famous one day ConradGuravitch103's Avatar
    Thanks

see the religion gives a bunch of people the "right" to do somthing out in the name of a god, and you see that if you have no religion like me you cant ave a goo reason to kill on a grand scale, in the name of god. the only things would be to either to get a really big point across selfishly IMO or if somthing that happend like the Holocaust i think, maybe offensive sorry, but that wasnt done in the name of religion.
    I've seen all you here before at the rise and the fall, lets go down and ring the bell at the Levity Ball.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast