+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Is Religion Bad?

Otaku For3v3r_Lost may be famous one day For3v3r_Lost may be famous one day For3v3r_Lost's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is Religion Bad?

You have a point there, like I said I don't believe in religions but I believe in God. I'd do the same thing as my mom does. She just go to church and pray, all that God stuff and ask for forgiveness. I'm not really one of the girls who goes, "look at me, look at my clothes, I'm all that." I understand why god doesnt want to wear tight pants. I'm not saying religion is bad but not good either. That's really my opinion.
    "I love you with all my heart that I can't explain how much in words."

Otaku Schwarze may be famous one day Schwarze may be famous one day Schwarze's Avatar
    Thanks

I think religions are kind of 'guide' for living. Yea I dont mind if I live freely, but at same time I also want to show gratitude to the one who give me life for living. And religion helps me to behave and control my emotion better. So I'd say religion isn't a bad thing. Basically, there isn't any religion that has intention to endanger or ruining its follower's life.

Lives link to one another, and the world continues...

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ConradGuravitch103 View Post
    ok maybe that i got a thing very mixed up but i think that religion is bad, with out it yeah things would be way totally different but there would be a ton less war on the plant i think, no crusades, and other wars that happend through out the ages
    I don't think you get it, if you research all of the BIG wars in history NONE of them started over religion. World War I & II had nothing to do with religion, nor did the Civil war or any of the Revolutions, Korea nor Vietnam and those are just the ones from the last few centuries. I am not down playing the crusades but more people died in WWII then all other recorded wars combined so to say that religion is the root of war and there would be a ton fewer wars on the planet is very misguided. Especially when compared to the wars I just mentioned. People will find a reason to hate period and from the wars I just mentioned, it should be very clear that religion isn't even the most popular choice when it comes to starting them. I am tired of people blaming this or that for THEIR OWN CHOICES. Accept the fact that only you have the power to act for yourself, no body else makes you.

Otaku Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk may be famous one day Spymonk's Avatar
    I live in South Africa and i was born in Pretoria.
    Thanks

Chiefie,chiefie,chiefie look to the future man that crusade thing is in the past we cant be hold accountable for what happened in the past we were not there.
    Talk of the things of today pls u going nowhere with that crusaders theory of yours - is religion bad today does it effect your life style in such a way that it is bad come one man the past is dead and burried....
    I know. I know u gonna say somnething that the past has an effect on the future..So what is the effect in any case.

Otaku Big Money Champion hyuuga13 may be famous one day hyuuga13 may be famous one day hyuuga13's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Sincere;378961]Religion itself isn't bad, but what it leads to most times is. I myself believe in God and all that stuff, and think about it, but I don't go to church and be around those people. Around here, those people are no more innocent than the rest of us, but suddenly change their attitudes when they walk through the church doors. After that, they don't care. Some are controlling too, telling you how to be in too many ways and everything. At our youth group one night, I remember we were told that we weren't worth the ground we walk on. We're nothing and we basically suck. The next day, they taught that we were absolutely perfect because God made us. I ended up with the conclusion that I'm better off without someone confusing me, I'll believe what I want. I think when religion is pushed and forced and when people's lives are taken, it is bad. Taking lives is not a religion, it is a hobby that bad people have. QUOTE]

[QUOTE=LONDON, Sept. 18, 2006 — Three words suddenly have a lot of Westerners worried and, it must be said, likely making some wrong assumptions about modern Islam. "Yaum al Ghadab" is Arabic for "Day of Rage."

When the Qatari Islamic scholar Yusuf al-Qaradawi called for a Day of Rage this Friday in response to Pope Benedict XVI's remarks about Muslims, it might have sounded like a call for street violence.

But if there is trouble Friday, and there could well be, it will not be because of language but because of what some people choose to do after they have answered the call for "Yaum al Ghadab."

Political manipulation of protest crowds is not a uniquely Islamic idea. It happens in the West, as well.

But why do Islamic leaders use what many Westerners regard as inflammatory language?

Because it is not inflammatory, at least not in the context of Islamic culture. "We must not try to interpret Islamic terms and cultural signals by using our Western ideas," said Fawaz Gerges, a professor in the department of international affairs and Middle Eastern studies at Sarah Lawrence College, and an ABC News consultant. Gerges pointed out that in Islamic culture "ghadab" means anger or frustration. A day of rage does not mean a day of jihad (war), added Gerges.

Mimi Daher, a Muslim woman working in the ABC Jerusalem bureau, explained that the Grand Multi in Jerusalem reflected this cultural mindset today when he said, "Muslims have to express their anger. Was the pope expecting Muslims to clap their hands to him while hurting their faith and prophet? Of course not. We call on Muslims throughout the world to react in a disciplined manner, according to our Islamic faith."

"Disciplined manner" is a repeated theme among Islamic moderate leaders who encourage people to protest. As Gerges reminded me, when the cleric al-Qaradawi called for a day of rage, he stressed repeatedly that it should be civilized, urging Muslims to behave with civility and dignity. "We must show the world that we are still civilized even when we are aggrieved," he said.

Even so, shouldn't Westerners be worried about the use of words like "rage"? As an ABC News Muslim colleague of mine in Egypt, Hala Abukhatwa, put it, "'Yaum al Ghadab' means 'come to the streets,' 'protest,' maybe 'burn a flag.' But it doesn't mean hurt someone. In our culture, expressions are usually in black and white, not nuanced like in the West," she continued. "We are either happy or we are sad, glad or angry. We don't say 'come to the streets and be ambivalent.'"

She went on to say that the concept of public protest is a relatively new, and a very Western, idea. In the Islamic world, historically, autocratic rulers suppressed public protests, not because they were Islamic leaders but because they were repressive. If you took to the streets in those days, you had to be pretty darn angry, or enraged, to risk the backlash of a repressive regime.

So a day of rage, as a term, is deeply rooted. Freedom of expression, freedom to protest peacefully, has improved in parts of the Islamic world, but the old words, the old terms of reference, are so deeply rooted in the language that "Yaum al Ghadab" is still used.

And what about the brittleness of Muslims over criticism of the Prophet Mohammed? Many in the West have a hard time getting their head around the idea that any leader is above ridicule.

There are at least two important reasons why Muslims react with such passion when the Prophet is called into question. First, to Muslims, Mohammed represents an absolutism. His is the absolute prophecy. To question that is to challenge the foundation of their belief system. As for Westerners making jokes about Christ, or movies that question the teachings of the church, many devout Muslims will ask, "Why don't the Christians defend their prophet more vigorously? Just because some of you Christians don't stick up for your Christ, don't ridicule us for sticking up for Mohammed."

A second important factor is a widespread perception in the Islamic world that Muslims and, by extension, Islam, are being targeted by the West. Gerges said Muslims hear the pope's words in that broader context. "Many believe that the pope has given Christian religious cover to a Western onslaught led by the U.S. government, and President Bush in particular."

The fact that Washington denies this widespread Muslim perception of a modern day "crusade" against Islam in the name of a war on terror does not seem to cut a lot of mustard on the Islamic street.

When a cleric calls for 'Yaum al Ghadab,' it is heard far and wide. QOUTE]

i dont think religion is bad. we make it that way. anything you or i say against religion offends someone else. we can never make everyone happy with one religion.
    Why is everything so ****ing hard for me? Keep me down to what you think I should be! Must you tempt me and provoke the ministry? Keep on trying I'm not dying so easily!

Newbie whitefoxdemon may be famous one day whitefoxdemon may be famous one day whitefoxdemon's Avatar
    Thanks

Religion in general is not a bad thing. People need something to believe in and give them hope. Religion itself is okay but sometimes the people who worship it make it bad. For example, in the middle east there are religious fanatics who are terrorists and because of their strong religious convictions they hurt innocent people and cause lot's of destruction. For many centuries there has been a war going on in the middle east over the holy city known as Jerusalem. Many different religions feel that they have some claim over this city so they are always fighting. Countless people have died in the name of religion. Maybe if we had no religion we could have avoided many trageties. That's my opinion over the religion thing. It can be both bad and good like everything else in this world.
    Last edited by whitefoxdemon; Sep 19, 2006 at 07:34 AM. Reason: didn't spell word correctly

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spymonk View Post
    Chiefie,chiefie,chiefie look to the future man that crusade thing is in the past we cant be hold accountable for what happened in the past we were not there.
    Talk of the things of today pls u going nowhere with that crusaders theory of yours - is religion bad today does it effect your life style in such a way that it is bad come one man the past is dead and burried....
    I know. I know u gonna say somnething that the past has an effect on the future..So what is the effect in any case.

What are you talking about? No one can deny the crusades as it did happen but all of my posts have either 1) pointed out there has been worse things in history that have nothing to do with religion or 2) the "religious" crimes of the past were not brought on by the religion but rather sociopaths that used "religion" or actually manipulated a "religion" to justify their acts.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefblackhammer
    You ask how religion is a good thing. I say it is because it is the reason for which I am whom I am. Now I say to you, how is that a bad thing?
    That more then answers my thoughts on religion today. Read my posts before you check me on something.

You's Trollin Pro Leafblower Champion, Helicopter Champion ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro is making a name for themselves ketaro's Avatar
    Thanks

Originally Posted by Spymonk
    I know. I know u gonna say somnething that the past has an effect on the future..So what is the effect in any case
    hahhah, the pope accused the muslims of using violence to convert others.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast