Closed Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Religion Necessary?

Otaku Tetsanosuke Kirikami is off to a good start Tetsanosuke Kirikami's Avatar
    Thanks

Is Religion Necessary?

I have asked this question at my home forum a long time ago, and I thought I'd get a discussion going. Please don't flame.

Over the many years of human-kind's existence, from the primordial stages of small imaginations and hanging knuckles to our fully bipedal strides and thought out inquiries, there has been dispute in the name of religious appreciation and acception.

Religion, faith in a way of life, or faith in a higher power. Generally meaning in terms of organized religion, where people are united under one banner and common belief system (Or outer structure thereof). This which has caused wars (Like the Crusades and the Jihads) and have created radicalism.. Has also given us hope for life after death and security for our causes.

This driving force, this crazy train of ideals and mythological happenings (In general)... Is it truly necessary for our existence as humans in this world?

Also, what is it to you? Does it make your life any easier to bare or any more fulfilling?

"Walk in with Reason, and leave with Passion."

AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is Religion Neccesary?

I think it was necessary in the past, when they didn't have science, and needed stories to explain things. But now, i think (and hope) that people are intelligent enough to make it through life without leaning on "God" for support. We have science, we can explain things that could never be explained before. We live in a free country, a mostly free world, where our own government protects us. We no longer need religion.

However, since religions are passed down from parents to child, generation to generation, i find it hard to believe it will die out any time soon. Maybe slowly.

Otaku TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9 may be famous one day TetsuoShima9's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is Religion Necessary?

I think it was necessary in the past, when they didn't have science, and needed stories to explain things. But now, i think (and hope) that people are intelligent enough to make it through life without leaning on "God" for support. We have science, we can explain things that could never be explained before. We live in a free country, a mostly free world, where our own government protects us. We no longer need religion.
    Religon is needed. What would we do if we let everyone carry out whatever comes to mind? Science has caused just as many deaths as religon. I mean just think about the Atomic Bomb, a creation that has killed millions of people. Also what about the people that made guns for us to use that are never used for hunting. Also, don't forget about land mines which kill thousands of people everyday. Religon makes sense in a world of evil.

Otaku Tetsanosuke Kirikami is off to a good start Tetsanosuke Kirikami's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TetsuoShima9 View Post
    Religon is needed. What would we do if we let everyone carry out whatever comes to mind? Science has caused just as many deaths as religon. I mean just think about the Atomic Bomb, a creation that has killed millions of people. Also what about the people that made guns for us to use that are never used for hunting. Also, don't forget about land mines which kill thousands of people everyday. Religon makes sense in a world of evil.
    Ahh, but that's just it my friend. Religion isn't needed for that.

Read this essay, it explains why we don't need religion to stay and clay ethics as well as moral standing.

If you don't get it then well, read it again and you might understand.

"Walk in with Reason, and leave with Passion."

Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Thanks

I do not think that religion is that important. My mother is a very religious Jew and my dad is a Christian and even though they tried to force me to go to church and synagogue.......it just was not for me. For example on 9/11, when my aunt dies, i did pray......and i think the majority people pray if something goes wrong globally or personally.....
    I don't know......but that is just my opinion
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

~jUsT sMiLe~ _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_ may be famous one day _gwenibe_'s Avatar
    Thanks

TetsuoShima, using your arguement..

People do whatever they feel like now with religion! also, for every life that is ' is killed because of science' think of all the lives that are being saved because of it. Your argument of 'science kills' makes no sense. It's not the gun that pulls the trigger, it's the person behind it, same with bombs..many of them probably religious..

anywho, more on topic. To individuals no religion isn't necessary as a society I don't think it is either, I'm sure the human race could survive without it. In the scope of basic survival it doesn't bring anything ( ignoring a persons emotional needs).

I felt as if believing in a religion made my life worse. Why should I believe in a book, that believes in a god, that if I sin I'm going to hell? It's like a directorship, live how he wants you to and you'll be right. I like to be able to question things, be free and open minded, not be told, this is how the earth was made and that is the only way. I live my life how I want to, not how some one else wants to
    Last edited by _gwenibe_; Nov 29, 2007 at 04:49 PM.

AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by _gwenibe_ View Post
    TetsuoShima, using your arguement..

People do whatever they feel like now with religion! also, for every life that is ' is killed because of science' think of all the lives that are being saved because of it. Your argument of 'science kills' makes no sense. It's not the gun that pulls the trigger, it's the person behind it, same with bombs..many of them probably religious..

anywho, more on topic. To individuals no religion isn't necessary as a society I don't think it is either, I'm sure the human race could survive without it. In the scope of basic survival it doesn't bring anything ( ignoring a persons emotional needs).

I felt as if believing in a religion made my life worse. Why should I believe in a book, that believes in a good, that if I sin I'm going to hell? It's like a directorship, live how he wants you to and you'll be right. I like to be able to question things, be free and open minded, not be told, this is how the earth was made and that is the only way.
    Exactly! Just like a dictatorship.

Also, to TetsuoShima, without religion, people wouldnt just do what ever they want. Are you forgetting what government is? The little organization that keeps our country together, keeps us in check, yet providing protection? Hell is not the only thing that keeps people from committing crimes. You are forgetting about jail, prison, public ridicule and humiliation, and the death penalty, the ultimate punishment.

Lost in confusion Tetrix 2 v2 Champion Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy is making a name for themselves Sazzy's Avatar
    In my imagination restricted by British Society!
    Thanks

For me growing up with a religion helped me to understand boundaries of ones own personal belief system. We can all decide on what is real and what isn't. We don't need religion to tell us what we believe in as that is forcing someone to see everything from another persons perspective. That doesn't show individuality.

Now that I am 21 I am very sure that with sections of Christainty there are things I don't believe to be right, one of them being evangelism for instance. Forcing one's own beliefs onto another is morally wrong and cause reasons for one to hate said religion.

Religion is and wasn't really needed as for some its a way of life but for others it was a part of life that gets in the way and makes us rebel from the religion.
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    | Sazzy-Bu.co.uk | My Deviant Art | Anime Vector | Otaku Zen | My Twitter | My Tumblr | My last.fm |

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast