Closed Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 88 of 171

Thread: Is Religion Necessary?

  1. #81
    AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    I don't really think it's necessary, seeing how I'm not too religious myself. But, lots of people see it as necessary. Maybe it's because a majority of people in society (in general) feel that they need something to believe in. Something that will give them an inkling of hope in their "dark and dreary" lives.

    I personally think that it's not all that important. You can believe what you want and still keep hope alive. I can belive--I'm sure I'll get a negative response from saying this--that my left testicle is God, but what good will come out of it? Believing that something that physically exists is a higher power or having faith in something that isn't visible to the naked eye is all one in the same.

    It's nothing more than mere superstition, backed by buckets full of faith.
    You can have faith that all will go well for you in life and get the same amount of hope as having faith that a higher being will make sure that all things in your life go by smoothly. Would you rather have faith in yourself, or have faith in something that probably doesn't exist. Don't get me wrong, I DO beleive in a higher power, but I don't beleive that he/she controls the fate of mankind. I DON'T believe that he/she spends all day watching over 5,000,000,000+ people, trying to keep them all "safe and secure".

    That's just unrealistic. Who has time for that?
    I agree. Though, this higher power you speak of. When you say this, do you mean creator of the universe, or just something or someone/s that are smarter and better then humans? Because if you mean a better species, maybe aliens could be a higher power. Or maybe energy or the laws of physics and nature itself?

    Or maybe the Flying Spaghetti Monster O_O

  2. #82
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    I agree with your statement, but we need to remember that God shows his evil side to those that don't want to listen to him. For instance, the story of Sodom and that other city (can't remember the name) both were wiped out because God didn't like them. Those actions are not of a loving god, but rather from an evil one.
    Sodom and Gomorrah, and they weren't destroyed because God "didn't like them". They were destroyed because they were so wicked that there was not even 10 men in the entirety of both cities that were righteous, just 1 and he left. These people were so wicked that people of all ages from the entire city tried to gang rape two visitors just because they were good looking. Any visitors were routinely tortured for that matter. They would give money to beggars after writing their name on it then refuse to sell them food and get the money back after they starved to death. Not only was charity not done if they found that anyone had been charitable they killed the one who gave, and gruesomely at that. Now considering the conversations we have had on the influences of environment on children tell me, what chance would any child growing up there have?

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  3. #83
    My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    near you
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    So, you're saying that I shouldn't take my chances on not believing in god because if hell is actually real I'll be sorry? Im sorry, but i strongly dispise that. I absolutely refuse to be scared into believing something. Im not gonna go and say "well gosh golly gee hell might rlly be rael and i dun want to go thurr so im gonna b a christian HAHA i so smart"

    Really. That's the problem with religious people. You blindly follow your religion and worship your god with out questioning anything, or trying to figure things on your own. You don't question whether your god is truly good, and whether or not satan is truly evil. You blindly follow the bible, and take every word of it literally, without realizing how incredible illogical it sounds.

    You pick and choose what parts of the bible you like and what parts of the bible you don't like. You end up using the positive stuff you read in arguments for how good your God is, but the negative stuff, where god tells people to commit murders, and when God destroys entire cities, you choose not to mention that or even think about it. You just say "well god says it so it must be right!". And then you go and pray to your God whenever something in your life isn't going right, or something bad happens. You lean on your god desperately hoping to get some positive reinforcement, to tell you that your life has purpose, to tell you that your whole life wasn't in vain, and that you will be rewarded for your faith after death, only distract yourself from the inevitable truth. The truth that despite everything you went through, you are no different then any other animal, and once you die, you go no where but into nothingness.

    I like the question everything. I dwell on every thought that comes to mind and think it over again and again, and base my conclusion on what I know, and what I define as right. And the things i see in the bible, how cruel and self centered your god really is, leads me to believe that Christianity is not the right religion for me to follow.

    And when Christians tell me that if i don't follow their god, or accept their messiah, ill burn in hell, boils my blood. The nerve, for someone to tell me that a God I don't believe in will send me to hell just for that. Then they go and claim how loving and generous he is. A true loving god will love you no matter what, regardless of whether you believe in him, worship him, or even like him. And because your God isnt that loving, it only reinforces my dislike for religion.

    All human experience and action (even the condition of unbelief, itself) is a proof for the existence of God

    If you believe in God and he in the end is not real then you have lost nothing-- But if you dont believe in God and in the end he is real you have lost everything, it is simply stupidity to not believe in God

    Just because you cant physically see something, you simply dont believe it??? is that what your getting at?


    And since you like to question everything, why dont you go ahead and question yourself to make sure your right about God. I mean have you even ever read the bible? no! What do you know to say that God is not real

    And where did you hear that God told people to commit murders????
    You say theres a good chance for aliens to exist, but at the same time, you say theres no way a God can exsit!

    And I do question my God, to question God is not in wrong itself.It is entirely different to wonder why God allowed a certain event to occur than it is to directly question God's goodness. Having doubts is different from questioning God's sovereignty and attacking His character. In short, an honest question is not a sin, but a bitter, untrusting, or rebellious heart is. God is not intimidated by questions. God invites us to enjoy close fellowship with Him. When we "question God," it should be from a humble spirit and open mind. We can question God, but we should not expect an answer unless we are genuinely interested in His answer. God knows our hearts, and knows whether we are genuinely seeking Him to enlighten us. Our heart attitude is what determines whether it is right or wrong to question God.


    I do not pick and choose from the Bible, I have read the entire Bible twice before, and everything that God has done, was done for a reason known to him.

    And since you happen to be to stuck to believe a word other than your own I have a link you seriously really need to check out:
    Questions about God

    1st Sig finished 12-20-09

  4. #84
    AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    If you believe in God and he in the end is not real then you have lost nothing-- But if you dont believe in God and in the end he is real you have lost everything, it is simply stupidity to not believe in God
    Starting off from this i could tell right off the bat that i wasnt going to like this.

    Ok, mr. "anime is god". What you're saying is that I should be scared into believing in god. I should believe in god just because if i dont and he turns out to be real, ill go to hell... That alone makes resent christianity even more. How dare you tell me i should be scared into believing? I don't believe in the existance of hell, why do i care what christianity thinks of my beliefs?

    Thats the problem with you. You're only a christian because your afraid youll go to hell? What if there was no hell? Would you still be a christian? I bet you would sin all the time. The only thing thats holding you together is the hope you'll go to heaven and the fear youll go to hell. Its selfish. Selfish because all your actions are based on personal gain or loss.

    Just because you cant physically see something, you simply dont believe it??? is that what your getting at?
    Yes. That is exactly what I am getting at. There is no reason for me to assume that god is real, let alone your god. Your 1 god, out of 1000 other gods that have been proposed throughout humanity. No one has ever seen god or heard him or felt him. They just "feel his presence" or "have faith". As a realist, i require evidence for me to believe something will exist. Evidence, or percentages. Probabilities. I need something to convince me.

    The fact that people believe in god doesnt convince me, it isnt a fact. People believe in big foot. People believe in the lochness monster. Kids believe in the boogey man. Does that make them real? Only in our imaginations.

    I mean have you even ever read the bible? no!
    And where did you hear that God told people to commit murders????
    *Ahem*

    It seems to me you arent even completely informed with your own religion.

    You say theres a good chance for aliens to exist, but at the same time, you say theres no way a God can exsit!
    Right! Why do i think aliens exist? Because, I see life on planet earth. Since earth has life, and since I have a general idea on how life forms, i can conclude that since there are a trillion other planets, there is bound to be more life.

    But, in what instances do i have to believe there is god? There isnt any god to base decisions off of. I cant say "since theres a god here there must be gods somewhere else" because there evidence of god.

  5. #85
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    Selfish because all your actions are based on personal gain or loss.
    Wait, wait... isn't that also the basis of the beliefs for society morals as listed on that atheist webpage you gave a link to earlier? That people would instinctively lean toward good choices because it benefits them and away from bad choices because it would result in loss of privilege or personal benefit? What's the difference?

    Now how about answering the original question instead of saying how much you hate Christianity. What if others are right and there is a God, any God. What happens to you then when you die if you have spent your entire life denying him/her?

    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    No one has ever seen god or heard him or felt him.
    Ahhh... no. There are multiple instances of all three in the Bible. Personal accounts if you will. I believe those are considered admissible evidence?

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  6. #86
    AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Eye witnesses are not evidence. There have been eye witnesses claiming everything, but it doesnt make it true.

    That people would instinctively lean toward good choices because it benefits them and away from bad choices because it would result in loss of privilege or personal benefit?
    I never said that. Someone else did. I believe that you should do good for the good of humanity. Because its the honorable thing to do. Not for personal gain.

    I mean, you don't even need religion to have good behavior and morals. Is bushido a religion? No. Its a code.

    Now how about answering the original question instead of saying how much you hate Christianity. What if others are right and there is a God, any God. What happens to you then when you die if you have spent your entire life denying him/her?
    If there really is a god, and i was wrong, i would expect this god to see it from my point of view and forgive me, for he cant blame me for being human. If he wouldnt forgive me, then i wouldnt forgive him, for being so unforgivable.

    But, regardless, i dont care because i dont believe it. I wont fear something i dont believe in the existance of.

  7. #87
    Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the end, it doesn' really matter.
    Posts
    907
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 47 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by ketaro View Post
    I agree with your statement, but we need to remember that God shows his evil side to those that don't want to listen to him. For instance, the story of Sodom and that other city (can't remember the name) both were wiped out because God didn't like them. Those actions are not of a loving god, but rather from an evil one.
    The story of Sodom and Gomorrah was a lesson in bein' "hospitable" towards one's fellow man. This bein' said, many scholars have argued that the "God" didn' destroy the two cities not, necessarilly, 'cause of their "wickedness;" but because of the "inhospitality" that the inhabitants had shown ta the angels that "God" had sent. They equate this ta stories like "fairy tales," stories that serve ta convey a lesson, in this case; it would b that actions; like inhospitality; have consequences. They have also stated that ppl of the time, also, used stories like this ta explain incidents and happenings in their world that they couldn' understand. Whether all this is true or not is a matter for debate.

    And I don' believe that "God" is evil, yes he has a dark side, a side that he has never denied havin'; ta the best of my knowledge. "Not everything Dark is Evil, not everything Evil is Dark;" this is a quote that I have that has guided me for a long time in my life. Dark things happen and they aren' necessarilly the result of some Evil influence. I feel that "God" exists in a state of balance, much like "life," between the forces of "Light" and the forces "Darkness" and that all that is "good" tries ta mimic this. I believe that the forces of "Good" and "Evil" exists outside of the forces of "Light" and "Dark," and that conflict of "Good" and "Evil" is actually a struggle between "Balance" and "Imbalance." "Good" struggles ta maintain the balance of the forces of "Light" and "Darkness;" whereas "Evil" seeks ta tip the scales, so ta speak. Lookin' at it from my perspective, one could; easily; understand why "God" sometimes needs ta "destroy." Ta elaborate upon my point, look at nature. Answer me this, if u would please, how does the killin' of an antelope by a cheetah benefit the antelope as well as the cheetah?

    By maintainin' a sense of "Balance;" "God" is able ta allow continual existence, He "creates" and "destroys" wit an equal hand. Mankind has even mimicked this behavior; by clearin' land ta plant crops and raise livestock; albeit, not perfectly. Ta create, sometimes one must destroy; ta allow life, sometimes some must die; it's a cycle that is "mimicked" in nature all of the time. Without this balance, continual existence would b impossible. I feel that although "God" must sometimes seem "cruel," that doesn' mean that He loves us any less.

    @mellow maroni-- Who's ta say that He doesn' c it from ur point of view and hasn' already forgiven u? My grandmother was a person who didn' believe in anythin' that she couldn' c wit her own two eyes, yet when she died; I did not once believed that she didn' go ta Heaven. Of course, this is my belief and I accept that not evry1 will believe as I do. And that's my point, evry1 has their own point of view and beliefs. And they r entitled ta them. Jus' 'cause some1 doesn' believe as u do doesn' make their beliefs any less significant, jus' different. And "God" doesn' allow us ta c Him, 'cause He wants us ta follow our own path, wit as little interference from Him as possible and ta follow Him on "faith" and not evidence. This is so that we can come ta terms wit "God" on our own and will not depend upon Him ta answer or "deal" wit all of the problems that we, "ourselves," create.
    Last edited by Joe Mage; Dec 06, 2007 at 07:12 AM.

    Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

  8. #88
    Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Realm of Dark Illusions
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Yes religion is necessary ... as i am a muslim religion gives us a view to somewhat can bring our characters to a clear road .. my opinion is so simple and clear about this topic ... yes and yes
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Religion
    By The bouncer in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: Mar 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
  2. Is Religion Bad?
    By nb194 in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Sep 30, 2006, 12:10 AM
  3. religion
    By ace_resistance in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 17, 2006, 08:18 AM
  4. Religion
    By kedar in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Feb 26, 2006, 02:26 PM
  5. What religion are you?
    By Brittle_Bullet999 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Aug 21, 2005, 10:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts