Closed Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 89 to 96 of 171

Thread: Is Religion Necessary?

  1. #89
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    I agree. Though, this higher power you speak of. When you say this, do you mean creator of the universe, or just something or someone/s that are smarter and better then humans? Because if you mean a better species, maybe aliens could be a higher power. Or maybe energy or the laws of physics and nature itself?

    Or maybe the Flying Spaghetti Monster O_O
    To answer your question, when I said higher being, I meant like a creator of the universe (be it diety or other form of being). We had to have come from somewhere, and I don't think that one single-cell organism could evolve into something that has thousands of living cells in it's body and has appendages.

    Quote Originally Posted by anime_being_god View Post
    If you believe in God and he in the end is not real then you have lost nothing-- But if you dont believe in God and in the end he is real you have lost everything, it is simply stupidity to not believe in God
    No, it's stupidity to judge your fellow man based on his beliefs. It's stupidity for a person who claims to be a religious person to label another human being as stupid or ignorant in the name of God. It's stupidity to pressure another person to believe something the refuse to have faith in.

    Just because you cant physically see something, you simply dont believe it??? is that what your getting at?
    Uhh... Yeah, pretty much. That's how the minds of rational people usually work. Logic over blind hope; fact over faith. What you can't see, touch, smell or hear simply does not exist until proven otherwise.

    And since you like to question everything, why dont you go ahead and question yourself to make sure your right about God. I mean have you even ever read the bible?
    I've read the bible--several times! Grew up in a Christian family! I don't agree with much of it. And I don't agree with the church. They preach about spreading love in the name of God, but refuse to show that love within their own congregation. Most church goers are there to "look good" in the eyes of God.

    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    Yes. That is exactly what I am getting at. There is no reason for me to assume that god is real, let alone your god. Your 1 god, out of 1000 other gods that have been proposed throughout humanity. No one has ever seen god or heard him or felt him. They just "feel his presence" or "have faith". As a realist, i require evidence for me to believe something will exist. Evidence, or percentages. Probabilities. I need something to convince me.
    Well said, Maromi! What if all of you Christians were wrong and the Greeks were right? What if Zeus came down from Olympus and just launched a lighting bolt at you for choosing the wrong faith? Too many religions, not enough people. Too many blind sheep listening to the deaf prophet.

    The fact that people believe in god doesnt convince me, it isnt a fact. People believe in big foot. People believe in the lochness monster. Kids believe in the boogey man. Does that make them real? Only in our imaginations.
    I agree. The fact that people believe is no fact at all. What does it prove? It proves that people blindly follow what they cannot see. I need a sign at the very least to show me that God exists.


  2. #90
    My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    near you
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Your time will come soon enough to meet God face to face, but if thats what your waiting for to see your proof, then it will be too late! It seems to be to so hard for someone like me to reason with people like you for your own good.

    A mind of a rational person would make a rational choice in believing in Christ, you are not using rational thinking, my logic is fact

    1st Sig finished 12-20-09

  3. #91
    Otaku Frisbee Throwing Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion Billum256 is off to a good start Billum256's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Posts
    392
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    And you are one of the people that I pray for. It is truly sad to see such a lack of faith among the human race. With people like you in this world I can say that we as a race don't have much hope left. That is why there are individuals like us who will be saved and not have to suffer the wrath of hell. I apologize for being so blunt and I only hope that you can in some way rethink your ideas. Otherwise all that awaits you is a burning lake of fire.
    98% of AO members are yaoi or lollicon fans. If you are part of the 2% that are not, copy and paste this into your sig

    Sig By Me
    "We're all sinners in the hands of the loving God"

  4. #92
    My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    near you
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Billum256 View Post
    And you are one of the people that I pray for. It is truly sad to see such a lack of faith among the human race. With people like you in this world I can say that we as a race don't have much hope left. That is why there are individuals like us who will be saved and not have to suffer the wrath of hell. I apologize for being so blunt and I only hope that you can in some way rethink your ideas. Otherwise all that awaits you is a burning lake of fire.
    Agreed.
    There really is nothing more for me to say to these few people. Stubborn as they are, its going to take more than my reasoning to get through to them, it'd have to be God himself

    1st Sig finished 12-20-09

  5. #93
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    Eye witnesses are not evidence. There have been eye witnesses claiming everything, but it doesnt make it true.
    Ah, ah, ah, I said admissible evidence. If someone says they have seen, heard, or felt something it is considered admissible evidence in legal cases when determining events. We have thousands of years of records all over the world of people interacting with "heavenly beings"; eye witnessed events. When scientifically working on a theoretic reason for any such event the first thing you do is take eye witnesses and then compile information that would collaborate it or explain it.

    You may not like it but eye witnesses ARE evidence. Not proof but evidence.



    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    I mean, you don't even need religion to have good behavior and morals. Is bushido a religion? No. Its a code.
    Oh yes, the Japanese equivalent of the Knights Templar. You are idealizing again. Bushido was a militant code based on both religious beliefs and a militant order of honor that boiled down to not embarrassing your superior and never disobeying an order. It is no different then any other militant code of honor found world wide. Do you intend to join the military to find your moral compass?



    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    If there really is a god, and i was wrong, i would expect this god to see it from my point of view and forgive me
    Based on what? Personal desire? For someone who keeps claiming you want evidence you are not basing your belief on any evidence that can be seen.



    Quote Originally Posted by mellow maromi View Post
    But, regardless, i dont care because i dont believe it. I wont fear something i dont believe in the existance of.
    Not fear, consider. It is a legitimate question considering how many people I have talked to who say they see no reason to believe in God because what if he doesn't exist. So what if he does? If you are going to base your decision on a question then both sides to that question need to be considered.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  6. #94
    Otaku Arukih may be famous one day Arukih may be famous one day Arukih's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    405
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by Billum256 View Post
    And you are one of the people that I pray for. It is truly sad to see such a lack of faith among the human race. With people like you in this world I can say that we as a race don't have much hope left. That is why there are individuals like us who will be saved and not have to suffer the wrath of hell. I apologize for being so blunt and I only hope that you can in some way rethink your ideas. Otherwise all that awaits you is a burning lake of fire.
    Well You scare me More than GOD! I dont believe God created us to believe in religion, I must believe He created us to live with peace, not just with the others but with ourseves, It doesnt mean we have to follow somekind of religious life coz if I want to prey i do the way I want coz in some way He is listen to me I dont need to go to the church every sunday, or be catholic, protestant, Jews and so on, coz if your "God" shows in somewhere that we have to be like that,well He is Selfish( and sorry say that) But a lot of ppl dont follow a religious life but doesnt mean they dont believe in GoD! well i see thing differently coz I learn a lot been in Catholic school 10 years for what I saw and i did learn i say, God Is not a Religion life definitely

  7. #95
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Thumbs down Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Quote Originally Posted by anime_being_god View Post
    Your time will come soon enough to meet God face to face, but if thats what your waiting for to see your proof, then it will be too late! It seems to be to so hard for someone like me to reason with people like you for your own good.

    A mind of a rational person would make a rational choice in believing in Christ, you are not using rational thinking, my logic is fact
    What do you mean, "people like you"? That's kinda rude. I don't think that your God would like you passing down judgement on others. Last time I checked, that was supposed to be his job and his job alone. According to my mother, you'd be considered a bad Christian. A "lip-service preacher" is what you would be called. One who says they are a Christian for the sake ofo passing down judgement on others. The word Christian means "Christ like". How much like Jesus are you if you're being judgemental?

    Also, where's the logic in having blind faith in something that you aren't even 100% positive exsists? You can tell me you're sure until you're blue in the face, but where's the physical proof?

    Y'know the Jews don't believe Jesus is the "Messiah" and they've gotten along just fine with that belief. What makes my disbelief in Christianity any different? What makes that disbelief any more or less logical OR rational than your "faith"?


  8. #96
    AO Animator mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi may be famous one day mellow maromi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts

    Re: Is Religion Necessary?

    Exactly. I really think that Anime_being_god and Billium256 are (censored by the adult conspiracy). It really upsets me that the only anime forum I know is majority christian. There are like 2 athiests/agnostics here.

    I mean, Anime_being_god is talking about how im illogical because I dont believe in something, because if I'm wrong, I'll go to hell.

    While Billium256 is talking about how he hopes I'll learn my lesson once i hit the lake of fire. Billium also talked about how homosexuals are sinners and will be cast into a lake of fire aswell.

    The world would be a better place without thinkers like that. Religious people, mainly Christians and Muslims, are the most violent people in the world. They kill and fight and insult and threat people for having different beliefs. How many Buddhists do? Zero. How many Shintos? Zero. How many Jews? Zero. How many agnostics? Zero. How many athiests? Zero.

    Just look. This is so true about christians. You know your a christian when...

    10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

    9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

    8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

    7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

    6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

    5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

    4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."


    3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

    2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

    1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.
    Last edited by tsurara; Dec 06, 2007 at 01:49 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Religion
    By The bouncer in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: Mar 15, 2007, 01:51 PM
  2. Is Religion Bad?
    By nb194 in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Sep 30, 2006, 12:10 AM
  3. religion
    By ace_resistance in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Jul 17, 2006, 08:18 AM
  4. Religion
    By kedar in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Feb 26, 2006, 02:26 PM
  5. What religion are you?
    By Brittle_Bullet999 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Aug 21, 2005, 10:59 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts