Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Religion Necessary?

Otaku Arukih may be famous one day Arukih may be famous one day Arukih's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is Religion Necessary?

Nop!! Not for me!! i did grow with a very straight relegion life and i find out nothing but hypocrisy...no one has to tell me hw to belive in "God" I do belive but not the way the other ppl want me to belive in "it"!

Legendary Otaku divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment may be famous one day divine_punishment's Avatar
    Thanks

Part of human nature is the need to believe in something, whether it is a superior being or lack thereof. I know that living a religious life has provided me with so much extra flavour to my daily experience. Religion is not 100% necessary to live, but it is to thrive.

Newbie shoru is off to a good start shoru's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arukih View Post
    Nop!! Not for me!! i did grow with a very straight relegion life and i find out nothing but hypocrisy...no one has to tell me hw to belive in "God" I do belive but not the way the other ppl want me to belive in "it"!
    In some ways I agree with you. Just recently I had a fight between the Missionary Kids around my neighborhood. It's is not ones place to force religion on to another, but merely prove their point and leave it to the other to determine what is right for them. I will certainly agree with you on the Hypocisy; however the world is full of it. That is just another way of stating ones personal opinion, generaly. Perfect example, when the world is going through a down fall which happens about every 5-10 years. The people of the world we unite under one thought, idea, ect. Which normally is religion, even the so called (nonbelievers). Now in diffenition that is call Hypocracy. One should not allow shuch a human trait, especailly one as feeble as that stand in their way of their beliefs.

Otaku Tetsanosuke Kirikami is off to a good start Tetsanosuke Kirikami's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by P.R. Princes View Post
    I think it is needed.

I agree. And yes it is the people that make the desision to pull the trigger or make the bombs but if they had religion then they wouldn't have had the thouhgt to do it.
    Religion is supposed to teach us the wrongs and rights and the bible says that we are not to kill other man. it is a crime of legal and moral laws.
    And yes the jihad do kill because of their god but that is there culture.
    I also belive that with religion there is hope. And with hope you can feel as if you can do whatever you want and that your life hasn't ended because somthng bad happend.

This is how I see this. I dont agree with it. This is what I think is wrong. People in general that do not go to church will pray when somthing goes wrong. But never when things are good.
    That is just not right to me. Mainly because you expect "God" the one being you never took interest in until somthing goes wrong to fix everything because something goes bad. That is like making it seem like he is the reason that the bad stuff happend.
    You only have interest in him when you have problems but once the problems go away you could care less of his existence.

That jsut dosn't seem right to me.
    but thats just me.
    Red:Right and Wrong and morality do have some basis in religion, but religion isn't the only source of such reinforcement, and doesn't have to be there for someone to think in a moral sense. Humans are social creatures, and for the instance of Crimes in the US, people don't stay away from crime with the thought of hell before them (Mostly), they realize the consequences of their actions. The law, as well as sympathy and prediction of consequence are key factors. Read this essay fully and you'll get what I'm saying.

Cyan Blue: The Jihads were the retalliation of the Arab peoples during the time of the Crusades. (At least thats what I remember). And though their book states something about 'by the sword', that doesn't mean they are all trying to kill everyone else. And yes, their culture, They warship the same God as you, but in a different way. (If you look at the facts it's true) That also leads to the question about "who's God is the right one?"

Lime Green: In fact, I went to a baptist church youth group and by their words God 'is' the reason why a bad things happen to you in your life. But it could also be Satan by their view, so your decision there. and God is also there to blame, even if people wont admit it, it's a bit easier to blame the one who 'pulls the strings' then to blame the puppet.

Yellow: Like your school counselor? Or your teacher when you are learning something new? Or maybe your parents when you are out on a night hang out with your pals? To believe God is there with you always is that safety belt, but when you have it so good why would you acknowledge him? It was you who planned the outing, or it was you who had the counselor fix things. Why acknowledge the one who 'supposedly' just got you started off, when things are on a roll?

Quote Originally Posted by shoru View Post
    Free will is what that's called. God gave it to us when he created us. He wants to go to him by choice. Not just when everything is bad, but also good. He wants us to rejoice for all time, and to exalt him. What is a church described as? In the bible and early books a church is described as a meeting of people who speak the word of God. It does not say it is a building or any other man made structure; it is but a meeting of people. Thus this very internet site is a church, generally speaking because we are discussing God. I personally do not go to church, but I do not forget about god. I pray every night, for all that is good in my life, and pray for the bad to go away. However one should not think of religion as a (do this, do that, and nothing else.) Religion with god is a relationship (Not a bad one, for those immature people.) Just like any other relationship one has to give a little (Praise) to receive a little (enlightenment, good fortune, etc.)
    So God isn't Altruistic? As for enlightenment, the Buddhists say that's something you do on your own, if I'm correct.

In my personal opinion religion is needed. However when discussing religion one needs to have an open mind. My reasoning for saying that is based on personal experience. I have many friends that are bible thumpers, atheist, Wicca, druid, evolutionist, and realist. We regularly discus religion and our personal opinions on it. The way I see it is no really knows what is the right thing to believe, it's not like someone is going to die and come back and tell us which religion is the right one, or if religion matters. In addition to that, think of this. When some one is lying on the ground about to die what is the first thing they yell out. Most the time it's OH GOD. You never here people call out to Satan, Darwin, or some other scientist. In my life I have noticed something to be constant, which is the belief in GOD, Lord Jesus, the Holly father. For others that maybe different.
    God can be a general term, one's God to them is another God to others. Basically I can say 'OH MY GOD!' And it wouldn't just mean Mister Christianity up there. It could mean Vishnu or what not.

Whoo boy I'm liking this discussion. ^_^

"Walk in with Reason, and leave with Passion."

Newbie shoru is off to a good start shoru's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay I don't know how to do all that fancy coloring you just did on you last post. I'm limited in my computer experience.

Altruistic, is the noun form of altruism: unselfish in or care for the welfare of others.

It says in the bible that "there shall be no others before me." However, it also say that he can not help those who will not help theirselfs. Praying is one of many ways to help theirself. By praying and giving him praise we are granted ENLIGHTENMENT.

Enlightenment is the noun form of enlighten: To give spiritual insight, or to up raise the spirit.

When on prays to God and follows his rules he/she is granted with emlightenment. Which can be discribed as joy, happiness, ect. Yes the Buddhist do beleive in it, but it is also a key factor in the christian belief.

Buddhist is almost the same as christaintiy, same with other religions. People may have different names for God but he's still the same God. ALLAH, JEHOVAH, VISHNU, YAHWEH, HAILE SELASSIE, CRISHNA. These are all diffrent names but yet the same God.

Newbie PriestSeth is off to a good start
    Thanks

Smile Re: Is Religion Necessary?

Okay I don't know how to do all that fancy coloring you just did on you last post. I'm limited in my computer experience.

Altruistic, is the noun form of altruism: unselfish in or care for the welfare of others.

It says in the bible that "there shall be no others before me." However, it also say that he can not help those who will not help theirselfs. Praying is one of many ways to help theirself. By praying and giving him praise we are granted ENLIGHTENMENT.

Enlightenment is the noun form of enlighten: To give spiritual insight, or to up raise the spirit.

When on prays to God and follows his rules he/she is granted with emlightenment. Which can be discribed as joy, happiness, ect. Yes the Buddhist do beleive in it, but it is also a key factor in the christian belief.

Buddhist is almost the same as christaintiy, same with other religions. People may have different names for God but he's still the same God. ALLAH, JEHOVAH, VISHNU, YAHWEH, HAILE SELASSIE, CRISHNA. These are all diffrent names but yet the same God.
    I agree. You make an excellent point, and I think you could be a great theologist.

Newbie DollCorpse is off to a good start DollCorpse's Avatar
    Thanks

Hm, I think that religion was needed to keep culture alive, and to explain how things appeared, and/or how we came to exist. Now that we have science to explain almost everything, maybe we don't need religion. However, I think religion is still necessary for lost souls who don't know who they are and take comfort in religion. So, yes, religion is needed.

DollCorpse

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Religion isn't necessary.

Just look at Japan. Depending on where you get your numbers up to 96% of the population is agnostic. They practice the holidays and believe in the "fun" trappings of multiple religion but couldn't be less concerned with it's tenants, writings or precepts. Japanese Buddhist monks date, smoke, drink, get married, have kids, and maintain huge amounts of material wealth (all prohibited by nearly all forms of Buddhism). They mix customs from religions like crazy, usually doing things that have lost all meaning for them. I'm not particularly religious myself, but even I feel as though Japan is almost oppressively secular. Religion in Japan is a comfort to the old, the dying and those who want to preserve the "unique culture" of Japan.

World War II DESTROYED Japan's faith in religion... possibly forever.

They're doing alright without it.
    (Though it can certainly be argued that they would be doing a bit better WITH it)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast