+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 88 of 310

Thread: Religion, is it true?

  1. #81
    Otaku Caixa 2006 Champion Corvus may be famous one day Corvus may be famous one day Corvus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Fogcity
    Posts
    303
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by basilisk888 View Post
    ya but as you said the church (and other religous powers) would never dream of trying to go along with science... Its like a bloody war going on for a really long time >.<... but there is something else some parts of it will clash and fight (like the begining of the world and how it began...)
    when really they should all throw down their arms and admit for once that they know virtually nothing make friends so that the real progression of humanity can begin... people are trivial it's a wonder that some bystanding race hasn't wiped as all out.

    ... and join my rebellion against time.

  2. #82
    AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    death and life again
    Posts
    685
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    when really they should all throw down their arms and admit for once that they know virtually nothing make friends so that the real progression of humanity can begin... people are trivial it's a wonder that some bystanding race hasn't wiped as all out.
    I agree that the large scale fighting is trivial and useless. But even if you could stop the large scale fighting well you could never stop the small scale fighting... and we could always hope that the humans will not be the "main" race for long... (hi) ^^
    Last edited by basilisk888; May 06, 2008 at 10:44 AM.
    death and life are one and the same

  3. #83
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by basilisk888 View Post
    well (sry going back to hitler >.<) look at someone like Hitler he could mostly hide it from the people who he was "ruleing" so do you say that no other people in the world can do that. And if you see "god" your a saint... well what if you see a "person" and ask another person (olden times) who is that person. If they say they do not see anyone well what would you think if you never knew anything about mental illness or Schizophrenia... What would you do and say?
    hahahahahahahaha
    I would say you missed the point entirely. You are making the same assumption that people who think no one knew about dinosaurs before the 1800's make, that just because the word didn't exist means that the knowledge of their existence didn't either. You said it yourself, there is writings about schizophrenia going back 2000 years BC. They didn't name it schizophrenia, they didn't give it it's own label, they just lumped it with a slew of other "isms" we have now days and considered them "madness". They had a lot of names for mental illnesses back then. Some of the ones that have lasted are lunacy, fury, frenzy, delirium, crazy.... the legal term now is insane.

    As for Adolf Hitler he was not schizophrenic, at most he was manic depressive. There are a lot of arguments about what he did and didn't have but none of the options include side effects of hallucinations etc. It is agreed he had delusions of grandeur but considering that he nearly succeeded maybe he wasn't so deluded.

    In all it comes back to you have no proof and neither does anyone else. As a result to insist that schizophrenia must be the cause of religious writings/foundings is insulting.


    You have brought out one point however and that is that there are a few religions who consider mental illness a sign of divinity and from what I have read they almost universally also use drugs in their religious ceremonies. Religions like animism, many of the polytheistic religions, and believe it or not most "new age" ones. That is probably one of the reasons I have difficulty taking them seriously. Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Islam, and Christianity however I take very seriously. I don't believe in them all as true but I do take them seriously.


    @Corvus The division between religion and science did not occur because of the church but on the part of anti-religious scientists who saw Darwinism as an opportunity to erode the power of the Catholic and Anglican church. We lost a lot of knowledge because of them because they threw out all of history and were egotistical of their insistence that they themselves were the peak of human knowledge and all that went before was either meaningless or not worth their time. It is only in the last 20 years that we have been finding out just how wrong they were but it is their legacy on which modern science is founded.

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  4. #84
    AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    death and life again
    Posts
    685
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    well what about the battle that the religons and science are doing... do you not think taht it is at least a little instresting? (well I do...) teachers (a little time ago) have lost thier jobs because they talked about evolution! its going out of hand and partents should not influence what thier children think!!!
    death and life are one and the same

  5. #85
    God Of Angelz Submarine Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Pencak Champion, Grand Prix Challenge 2 Champion, Twelve Swap Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Crab Volleyball Champion, Hockey Shooter Champion, Trick Master Funky Champion, Mah-Jong Connect Champion, W.R.A.X. Champion dark1angel may be famous one day dark1angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Where the angels fly within.
    Posts
    1,003
    Thanks
    144
    Thanked 64 Times in 60 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Well, Religion can be true for many people but there is another thought in my head that Religion is not true. You know how people fight off each other? It is because people fight off each other in war for a different reason, for instance the war is one enemy does not believe in peace while the other enemy believes in peace.

    My only concern is that for me i cannot decide which is true for me, because in matter in fact i have multiple personalities and i cannot allow myself to be inserted in one whole place, which will cause unbalance situations for me that causes a huge embarrassment. Please do believe what i am truly saying it is not that of a personal thing. Only for the people to know what kind of problem Religion can do if you really stick with it.

    For instance i would likely to know what is a major difference is between one god and a lord? Because this is severely thoughtful in my head and will cause a bigger distraction later in the future.

    Magic intervenes when there is love in first sight.
    |アスタロス|

  6. #86
    Fallen Angel PhoenixSara may be famous one day PhoenixSara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    I am in between Heaven's Gate and Hell.Angels are not supposed to fall but i did.
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    42
    Thanked 59 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    okay whether some people belive religion is true or not is an age old debate that dates back to ancient times. but i guess for one who was raised to believe in God and religion i guess it helps bring hope in those times that you feel you hve no one to turn to. i mean we may keep going on and on about this but there are people who think religion is not true and that science is .

    where all else fails, faith helps to bring hope
    "In your arms is where i will be, I love you till my forever ends."
    Clan Rainstorm 2nd Company, Kunoichi Leader
    PhoenixSara FB / Click Me IMVU/Atlantis RPG/Rules and FAQ/MY BLOG /

  7. #87
    Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    3,259
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 140 Times in 108 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by basilisk888 View Post
    well what about the battle that the religons and science are doing... do you not think taht it is at least a little instresting? (well I do...) teachers (a little time ago) have lost thier jobs because they talked about evolution! its going out of hand and partents should not influence what thier children think!!!
    I think it is very interesting especially since the Darwinists that rebelled against the church did so because of a stance the church had taken that things like, oh... vacuums and novas couldn't exist because it would mean that the prefect creation of God was changeable.

    Think for a second about why that is so funny...

    The science that they founded created a system where everything was based on slow incremental growth that couldn't happen any faster then a time they set based on carbon dating being.... set and unchangeable.

    Personally I think it is hilarious. They tried to change everything and all they did was embrace an unproven belief that rejected change.

    In the meantime this belief that religion was anti-science and fantasy grew to such a level that eventually the sciences became flatly antagonistic to anyone with a belief in god trying to study it (in spite of the fact that many of the greatest minds in science were all religious). To go into science and retain your religion now days means facing persecution, potentially losing your job, and being denied funding by institutions and governments alike if you dare to speak openly on the subject. Still the number of religious scientists are growing and those willing to face that to increase knowledge have nothing but my respect.


    As for parents not influencing their children, don't be silly, of course they influence their children merely by raising them. To not teach your children what you believe is shear negligence. They are living thinking beings and when the children become adults they can choose for themselves whether or not to believe then act accordingly.




    @dark1angel what do you mean by "a lord"?

    l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

  8. #88
    Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Realm of Dark Illusions
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by basilisk888 View Post
    I agree that the large scale fighting is trivial and useless. But even if you could stop the large scale fighting well you could never stop the small scale fighting... and we could always hope that the humans will not be the "main" race for long... (hi) ^^
    The word "Fight" was ,is and will be sticked with humans as long as they live ,humans hearts are constituted of evil and good ,no one is pure of only one of them and no one can change that fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by dark1angel View Post
    Well, Religion can be true for many people but there is another thought in my head that Religion is not true. You know how people fight off each other? It is because people fight off each other in war for a different reason, for instance the war is one enemy does not believe in peace while the other enemy believes in peace.
    No ,i don't think so ,all fights around the world goes around two things ... the first is religion the second is rebellion and occupiers (greed in one of its various shapes) ... that's what i think.
    Quote Originally Posted by dark1angel View Post
    My only concern is that for me i cannot decide which is true for me, because in matter in fact i have multiple personalities and i cannot allow myself to be inserted in one whole place, which will cause unbalance situations for me that causes a huge embarrassment. Please do believe what i am truly saying it is not that of a personal thing. Only for the people to know what kind of problem Religion can do if you really stick with it.
    And that's true faith. and not just a superficial alias.
    Quote Originally Posted by dark1angel View Post
    For instance i would likely to know what is a major difference is between one god and a lord? Because this is severely thoughtful in my head and will cause a bigger distraction later in the future.
    What do you mean by that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    No, "religion" is not true.

    Let me explain. There is a big difference between saying something is true and that it has truth. With the second you only need there to be things in it that are true. Does religion, generally have truths? Yes. However for something to be "true" it must be completely true not just have some truth.

    Now I am prepared to say that the religion I believe in is true, in it's entirety, but I am not going to say that religion, all religion, is completely true. It would be impossible. While most religions do have many things in common there are to many contradictory beliefs from one to another that prevent it by their very existence. For that matter I know many people who cannot say that their own religions are true in their entirety either. Can you?

    Not to different from what you were saying Descended From Darkness but with the exception that I do believe there is a "true" religion.



    Mind you this subject was titled so badly that that has nothing to do with initial post which is why I never bothered to post before now. I saw no reason to discuss the "true"ness of something without a decent parameter.
    Religion is true and it has truth that is for each single individual believing in a religion around the globe .. it's not the religion that matters but how much you believe in it and give to protect.
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Religion Necessary?
    By Tetsanosuke Kirikami in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: Dec 10, 2007, 02:20 PM
  2. True Feelings About A True Person....
    By equinn in forum Poems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 29, 2007, 01:42 PM
  3. True Name True Power -- Tarot Method, Ancient truth with a twist
    By darkness of an angel in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr 24, 2007, 10:30 AM
  4. Religion
    By kedar in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Feb 26, 2006, 02:26 PM
  5. religion
    By Wing 0 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Sep 15, 2005, 09:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts