+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion, is it true?

Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Religion, is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    Does hacking at the actual existance of God ever result in anything? There are religious people who believe in an omnipotent God. Omnipotence is a clear contradiction of itself. Do they care? Of course not, because its their faith, and they are sticking to it. People still argue Evolution isn't true, saying "Its just a theory", even though it's fairly likely. The reason I don't go with those arguements is that they don't work, people just don't care about the loopholes and theories. Once again, Russel's Teapot, despite these arguements that Atheists throw out, it isn't actually our job to disprove God, it is the job of theists to prove it, and such is why I don't enjoy loophole arguing. I don't think it leads anywhere, because we cannot obviously 100% disprove the existance of a deity.
    One at a time, please. That's quite a lot, for an answer to a single question.

Does disproving God's existence result in anything? Yes. It proves that you're right, and I'm wrong. And that others are wrong, even if they'd rather not admit it. If they'd rather not, then they're not being honest with themselves, so why bother? At least we'll find out what's true, or at least what's likely to be true. And isn't "seeing the light" a good thing, as opposed to staying in the dark because it's more comfortable that way? I believe so.

Which would you like us to discuss first: omnipotence, or proof of God's existence + Russell's Teapot?. Though I'm warning you, discussing omnipotence would be pointless if we don't see first if it's possible that God exists. One at a time, please... Comprende?
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

One at a time, please. That's quite a lot, for an answer to a single question.

Which would you like us to discuss first: omnipotence, or proof of God's existence + Russell's Teapot?. Though I'm warning you, discussing omnipotence would be pointless if we don't see first if it's possible that God exists. Comprende?
    Ah, sorry about that, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. While I'm Atheist, I can say that I can see the possibility of a God existing. One of my stances has been that if a God exists, it is drastically different from our interpretations of it found in religion. I think a God would still have to make sense, and thusly, no omnipotent power. What are your thoughts on this matter?

Thanks

Ah, sorry about that, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself. While I'm Atheist, I can say that I can see the possibility of a God existing. One of my stances has been that if a God exists, it is drastically different from our interpretations of it found in religion. I think a God would still have to make sense, and thusly, no omnipotent power. What are your thoughts on this matter?
    Omnipotence is an intrinsic quality of a supreme deity. How can we define "God" without omnipotence? Wouldn't we be left with something less powerful, such as a spirit or an angel, if we wanted a higher being without omnipotence?

Thanks

Omnipotence is an intrinsic quality of a supreme deity. How can we define "God" without omnipotence? Wouldn't we be left with something less powerful, such as a spirit or an angel, if we wanted a higher being without omnipotence?
    An interesting question to ponder. Could one concieve of a God who perhaps possess' the power to create a universe, but not the power to shape it, perhaps because it literally cannot? When people question why the universe is so darn imperfect, I have to think that if it was actually created, perhaps the creator wasn't perfect? Do we need to think of God as a being capable of everything in order for us to call him God? If he can be killed, does this mean he is not worthy of worship? Is it just the idea of omnipotence that gives people confidence in a deities guidance?

Thanks

An interesting question to ponder. Could one concieve of a God who perhaps possess' the power to create a universe, but not the power to shape it, perhaps because it literally cannot? When people question why the universe is so darn imperfect, I have to think that if it was actually created, perhaps the creator wasn't perfect? Do we need to think of God as a being capable of everything in order for us to call him God? If he can be killed, does this mean he is not worthy of worship? Is it just the idea of omnipotence that gives people confidence in a deities guidance?
    Again, one at a time. No more buckshot questions, please. It's kinda difficult to arrive at a conclusion if we get ahead of ourselves all the time.

What makes you say that the universe isn't shaped the way God wanted it to? Don't you suppose he wanted it precisely this way, and not some other way? Answer me this before we proceed.

Thanks

What makes you say that the universe isn't shaped the way God wanted it to? What if he wanted it precisely this way, and not some other way? Answer me this before we proceed.
    If God has good intentions(If we assume that...), there are a number of ways in which this design is questionable. Life feeds off life to survive, a rather brutal aspect of nature, the universe is fairly unforgiving to life itself, given that Earth is really the only ideal location for any to exist. Weather like hurricanes routinely kill the innocent. Bears maul little children because they can. Nature is chaotic and unforgiving. Could I imagine a good natured God that would create a universe knowing that would happen? I could more easily imagine a good natured God that would create a universe, but did not concieve of stuff like Evolution and the brutal food chain that follows it(Like the guy who invented dynamite!). I know this idea is also contra to Omniscience, so maybe I'll stop here before I go too far again.

To sum up, if one were all powerful, they could do a lot better than this universe.

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

0.0... waaa??? what happened here???
    well trying to go on the curent topic... "if god could do anything could he make a sandwitch that he (or she) could not finish?" well anser me that ^.^
    not really... but look at the greek gods... they are neather good or evil... they do both...
    death and life are one and the same

Devoted Otaku gamemaster331 is off to a good start gamemaster331's Avatar
    Thanks

As it is with many cultures. Using the Greek God example, humans have often considered Hades, Lord of the Underworld and Guardian of the Elutian Fields, to be Evil. But taking a closer look, he's merely doing a job set down to him by Zeus. The same could be said of Poseidon, God of the Seas. If we extend this to what's called the One God, might we assume that what he is is neither Good nor Evil, but more Lawful since their are rules to everything?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 ... LastLast