+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion, is it true?

Vampire Prince Archery 2000 Champion kakashi_sensei may be famous one day kakashi_sensei may be famous one day kakashi_sensei's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Religon, is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by psychical View Post
    Dude, so you're saying that

(a) The theory of evolution doesn't necessarily say there is no God,

BUT

(b) But the Bible says things in another way (that is, God created the heavens and the earth in a week's time),

THEREFORE

(c) The theory of evolution doesn't believe in a superior being... ????????

My apologies, friend, but your argument doesn't add up at all. Just because the Bible says things in another way doesn't mean that there is no superior being at all. I suppose you were being a bit too hasty there.

Here, let me help you with these two questions:

(1) Could you show me where exactly in his scientific books did Charles Darwin explicitly exclude the possibility of there being a God in his theory?

(2) Could it not be that the Jews of ancient times, not having any access to the scientific knowledge and advancements we have today, decided to explain the origins of the universe in parable form? (Recall that not everything in the Hebrew Bible should be taken literally... That was just the way people used figures of speech back in the day).
    AH, there's too much to read
    let me explain what i meant in a shorter version:
    theory of evolution- we come from a long chain of....animals or whatever into what we are today.
    Bible-GOD!!!!
    That's all i know I'm not much of a reader so i won't really know what that guy Darwin wrote

One thing though, the bible was inspired by God and given by God so its not the jews fault that they weren't scientist and if the bible is wrong or not accurate then....i guess god is not perfect hahahaha

Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Religon, is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi_sensei View Post
    AH, there's too much to read
    let me explain what i meant in a shorter version:
    theory of evolution- we come from a long chain of....animals or whatever into what we are today.
    Bible-GOD!!!!
    That's all i know I'm not much of a reader so i won't really know what that guy Darwin wrote

One thing though, the bible was inspired by God and given by God so its not the jews fault that they weren't scientist and if the bible is wrong or not accurate then....i guess god is not perfect hahahaha
    It would be a good idea if you know where you're coming from first. I'd be willing to talk about God and evolution with you, but I'd rather you understood what these two concepts are and how they relate to one another first.

If you're not much of a reader, and you haven't read what other people before you in time have said, how can you easily conclude that the Bible is wrong, and God isn't perfect? And with such feelings of certitude? Please, please, please read, even if you have to resort to Dawkins. You can always check Wikipedia if you absolutely don't want to read the originals.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Religion, is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    I'm only asking him to help out with the dishes now and then. If someone is 6'7, and they are watching someone who is 4'5 trying to reach a high shelf for something, wouldn't it be nice if they helped out? Sure, the little guy probably has the capability, but I'm just talkng general niceness here.
    ...and he does individually. You just need to realize that God having a larger view of things ofttimes means that the problem itself will not be removed but that the help is in our ability to endure and grow from what happens. To use your own analogy rather then getting it off the shelf for us he either provides the step stool so we can reach it ourselves or tells us we shouldn't be getting it.

Fair enough, but I personally don't regard the act of watching people as an act of good. I see the logic of "Oh, lets see who cleans up this mess", but what if one of those kids takes too long and soembody dies? I know, I know, they'll go to 'heaven', but blah, if you're God and you think that's omnibenevolent, you might as well kill everyone.
    How will they learn from their lives if they all just die? Sort of defeats the purpose of life doesn't it.

That makes sense, and that's precisely why I asked why bother with religion anyways. It's like "Be a nice person! If you're a nice person because I told you, you're a bad person! But be a nice person anyways!". Take out religion, and it becomes obvious who's being geneuinely naughty, and who's genuinely nice.
    Not at all since we aren't omnipotent and can't tell why others are doing what they are ourselves. The non-existence wouldn't increase our ability to perceive that.

Ah, what I'm saying is, an omniscient being knows the future by definition, thereby eliminating free will, or making it so God isn't omniscient or omnipotent(If one is perfect, they know everything, also contradicting free will). If something that knows everything exists, the future exists, and if the future exists, we can't decide it. Again, I hate to use such a horribly cliched arguement, but it makes sense to moi.
    Once again that is only true if by observing something you are doing it personally, which is not the case. I can watch a baseball game all I want but that doesn't mean that I personally hit the ball and ran the bases. God knowing all things past and future doesn't remove freewill since he himself is not doing it merely "observing the game". His knowledge of what choices we have/will make does not remove our personal choice at the time we make them; our own perception of time is a linear one after all.

Is it fair to judge someone for eternity based on a relatively short 100-ish years of activity on a planet that, with its limited resources and vastly different ideas, practically breeds strife? Tis like leaving a drug addict in a room full of drugs, then leaving the room saying "If you touch them, I will be very dissapointed, you silly rabbit!"
    Poor analogy since addictions are compulsions that remove choice and the entire point is agency/choice. A better analogy is a child and a candy bar. One of my kids would eat it and one wouldn't. How about you? Those very things you mention are what gives us the opportunity to even choose since how are we to make choices if there are none? As for it being a short time since the "judgment" is on the heart surely the amount of time is unimportant.

I can understand that, but if you had kids, would you want them to be raised in a fairly unforgiving and hostile environment? Would a good parent drop their kids in the bully corner of the playground to see how they cope? Shouldn't parents nurture, rather than watch and judge their kids based on performance?
    You do both. There is nurturing and instructing but you can't nurture a child that won't listen. The "instructions" involve how to avoid or deal with the "bullies' on the playground but doing it is up to us, to our agency. In cases where there is "unforgiving and hostile environment"s to the point that the children in that playground have no chance of avoiding the "bullies" then you get the punishments of God descending on the people scripturally. For example, Sodom and Gomorrah.

Take away the enticement that is the afterlife
    That is impossible without changing the very character of God. The point of religion is that there is an afterlife and often that there was a life before as well. Take away an afterlife and you remove God himself and religion by default leaving nothing to discuss.

Anyways, that's all my input on the matter for now. I suffer from debate fatigue, and it doesn't take too long for me to stop wanting to debate, so I'll just be fading into the background again now, if that's all right.
    Your choice.
    Last edited by Arrianna; May 11, 2008 at 09:18 PM. Reason: clarifying

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

Dude, considering that it was you who opened up this can of worms in the first place, you're not helping the discussion at all. We're not talking about Greek gods here. Besides,

they

don't

exist.
    yes I did start this and I do not know were this has gone... in a couple of hours is has changed so much I do not know were it went and how to get back into it...

...and he does individually. You just need to realize that God having a larger view of things ofttimes means that the problem itself will not be removed but that the help is in our ability to endure and grow from what happens. To use your own analogy rather then getting it off the shelf for us he either provides the step stool so we can reach it ourselves or tells us we shouldn't be getting it.
    How will they learn from their lives if they all just die? Sort of defeats the purpose of life doesn't it.
    Not at all since we aren't omnipotent and can't tell why others are doing what they are ourselves. The non-existence wouldn't increase our ability to perceive that.
    Once again that is only true if by observing something you are doing it personally, which is not the case. I can watch a baseball game all I want but that doesn't mean that I personally hit the ball and ran the bases. God knowing all things past and future doesn't remove freewill since he himself is not doing it merely "observing the game". His knowledge of what choices we have/will make does not remove our personal choice at the time we make them; our own perception of time is a linear one after all.
    Poor analogy since addictions are compulsions that remove choice and the entire point is agency/choice. A better analogy is a child and a candy bar. One of my kids would eat it and one wouldn't. How about you? Those very things you mention are what gives us the opportunity to even choose since how are we to make choices if there are none? As for it being a short time since the "judgment" is on the heart surely the amount of time is unimportant.
    You do both. There is nurturing and instructing but you can't nurture a child that won't listen. The "instructions" involve how to avoid or deal with the "bullies' on the playground but doing it is up to us, to our agency. In cases where there is "unforgiving and hostile environment"s to the point that the children in that playground have no chance of avoiding the "bullies" then you get the punishments of God descending on the people scripturally. For example, Sodom and Gomorrah.
    That is impossible without changing the very character of God. The point of religion is that there is an afterlife and often that there was a life before as well. Take away an afterlife and you remove God himself and religion by default leaving nothing to discuss.
    well as I read this I see one thing that is happening alot. Think for a sec. what if "god" really did not exsist... The world would go on with the Natural way like it has been. There is evidence that life could have started on its own... Just think; what if there was no "god"...
    death and life are one and the same

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by basilisk888 View Post
    well as I read this I see one thing that is happening alot. Think for a sec. what if "god" really did not exsist... The world would go on with the Natural way like it has been. There is evidence that life could have started on its own... Just think; what if there was no "god"...
    Has absolutely nothing to do with understanding the concept of Omniscience and Agency of which the entire conversation was addressing. In order to discuss the truth of a subject one has to understand it first.

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

also one has to know what is going on!!! arg... what if you do not know what "Omniscience and Agency" are... (and to not feeling like it to find out what they are...)

ok:
    it all depends on the person... some people will naturaly deside to help some one... its not the act of a high and mighty "thing"...

Thanks

Omniscience means that a being (God in this case) knows everything; past, future, natural laws, science, you name it.

Agency means that every person born is born with the ability to make choices for themselves such as between good and evil.

The discussion involved how an omnipotent God does not interfere with the agency of man and what the consequences of one who did would be. If you go back and read my posts for the last few pages it might make more sense.

Does that help?

Thanks

yep yep ty for explaining it ^^
    but its true it does depend on the person. They might chose to do what they do... it does not mean that there is a "god"... it only means that there is a natural prosses going on...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 ... LastLast