+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 310

Thread: Religion, is it true?

  1. #9
    Newbie Young Wolf is off to a good start Young Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    50
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    i belive in jah(god) but i belive that most religions are flawed because you have to think religions have been around for a long time and all modern day religions are based off of the pagan religions
    go to youtube and search for esocteric agendas it will reveal the truth about the worrld and religion
    fear me
    i am lycan other kin

  2. #10
    AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    death and life again
    Posts
    685
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by LichGRIFFIN View Post
    God (Allah) exists ... i'm a muslim and i believe we'll go to heaven or hell after death ... we're alive because we think we are and we're not because we also think we are ... we won't die at 2012 because it sounds stupid to me to know when humanity is going to end because there's always hidden truths that won't be disclosed and this is one of them ... we'll die in a way that Allah will decide and till that time we only have to wait and see ...
    Sry >.<... I was a little angry while makeing this post but I hope taht people can think of themselfs and not try to think that because someone told them a thing about their lives taht it was true...

    - Athist here so I do not think that religon is all that great and powerfull just like 'Descended From Darkness' said all religon does is faith. It is not the truths in the world. Some may but some are just crazy... (scientific one about how sci-fi-fanticy is real...) but some have good aspects and have meaning to them.

    -Also the world will most likely not end at 2012 it will have a small chance with ending at 17-23 years from now or 50+ years from now...
    death and life are one and the same

  3. #11
    Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Coalhurst Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,900
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 183 Times in 148 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    As far as 2012 is concerned people have been saying that the world is going to end for thousands of years. What makes 2012 so bloody special?
    Its the end of the Mesoamerican (Myan) calander, which follows a 5,125 solar year cycle, and December 21, 2012 marks the end of that cycle. It is conjectured that this may represent in the Maya belief system a transition from the current Creation world into the next, hence the belief that it will herald the apocalypse.

    Of course, if your Latter Day Saint (mormon), who belive that the Civilizations that lived in the America's to be some of the lost tribes of Isreal, this could mean something, or mean nothing at all...

  4. #12
    Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Secure Undisclosed Locationville
    Posts
    314
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    Religion is just something that people have in order to make them feel better about themselves. It's a mini ego boost. The whole "faith" thing makes them feel better about themselves and gives them closure. It's a nice little concept. It gives them closure about death and life and that someone realy is watching over you.
    Hmmm... Could you enlighten me a bit more? It seems as though all you've done so far was simply restate the "religion is an ego-boost to many" premise in different ways. It would help if you stated your point somehow...
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

  5. #13
    Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sadly, Michigan
    Posts
    411
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by psychical View Post
    Hmmm... Could you enlighten me a bit more? It seems as though all you've done so far was simply restate the "religion is an ego-boost to many" premise in different ways. It would help if you stated your point somehow...
    Oblivious to the point are we? That WAS the point. Self esteem/ego booster. Kind of like when people degrade others to make themselves feel better. Only this is believing there is a higher power watching you protecting you etc. etc.

    "And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

  6. #14
    Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Secure Undisclosed Locationville
    Posts
    314
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleister Sithis View Post
    Oblivious to the point are we? That WAS the point. Self esteem/ego booster. Kind of like when people degrade others to make themselves feel better. Only this is believing there is a higher power watching you protecting you etc. etc.
    I'm afraid that wasn't. You do know what an argument looks like, don't you? That sentence could've been his point, and therefore should be supported by proof or facts; or it could've been a proof in itself, and supported something bigger, such as "therefore, those who subscribe to religion are nothing but lost, ignorant souls blind to the light of atheism/agnosticism." That unsupported statement, by the way, doesn't make for good proof either, as it simply jumps to a conclusion of sorts. Reiterating something makes for good sophistry, but alas, not for good argument.

    Oh, speaking of arguments, I'm not sure we've even defined the terms yet. We can't arrive at a conclusion if we don't come to terms. So, Mr. Sithis, how do you define "religion" and "true"?
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to psychical For This Useful Post:

    Billum256 (Apr 16, 2008)

  8. #15
    Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    This is a User Title in disguise
    Posts
    224
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    I don't believe in any of that religous stuff at all, but I won't be preaching the Atheist choir in any sort of attempt to sway the masses to my evil side of sheep sacrificing do-evilness that much.(Opposite of do-goodness..I do wonder if do-evilness is a term...ah well!).

    Since it's in the debate forum, I suppose I should at least throw some sort of remark in here though, eh? Oh, the things I do for you, AO.....

    These threads invariably end up with the almost copy-pasted arguements found everywhere on the internets, might as well get those out of the way...
    Omnipotence is a contradiction in and of itself.
    Omnipotence and Omniscience together are kind of contradictory themselves.
    Omnipotence and Omnibenevolence are dissproven by the existance of evil.

    But since I'm incrediby lazy, and lack the willpower to honestly give a crap about arguing such concepts, and what have you, I'll chime in with a far more interesting perspective from the back of the PC Gamer issue I got the other day(It was talking about God games, so it isn't that serious of a point, just interesting, and rather hilarious)
    Quote Originally Posted by PC Gamer backspace
    It's a rather hefty stroke against the idea of a benevolent God that most people, when put in an equivalent position, will abandon benevolence within minutes when tormenting their charges proves much more entertaining. Like 10 year old boys with an ant farm.
    To conclude the near joke that is my entire post, I suppose I'll end by saying that a God that doesn't give a flying karp fish about Earth, and spends his/her time summoning illustrious and flattering pictures of whomever/whatever they happen to be attracted to (Hey, the sun is hot, isn't it?), rather than interacting with, demanding of, or even watching the squeeky little rats in the crazy maze experiment that probably doesn't have cheese at the end of it, is more likely in my mind. Actually, I admit it, I'd even prefer that to Atheism. Maybe I should start that religion...(After all, people should believe what they want to believe!)

    With all the madness I just spouted, you'd think we were in Sparta.
    [/rant of little meaning]

    Edit note: No offence to anyone intended.

  9. #16
    Nisou Tenshi Hot Shots Champion, Elroy Learns To Fly Champion, Daves Castle Hunt Champion, Mom-Jongg! Champion, Uncle Sam Champion Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel may be famous one day Priestess Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Right where you think I am
    Posts
    548
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Ah, religious debates . . . don’t you just love them??

    When it comes to my beliefs on the existence of God, I honestly do not follow strictly with any certain religion. I have my own perception on God and believe that no sole religion is correct in their perception of God in the fact that many have been corrupted in some shape or form by the perception of man. I could tell you in detail what my beliefs are and how they differ from the social norms but that would take forever and I’m lazy right now.

    Anyway, do I think God exists? Yes, I do believe there is a higher power. When I look at life in general and the miracle that is life, it is difficult for me to believe that there is not some sort of higher being but that is just my take on things. Do I agree with everything that the bible says or rather the church? No, not by any means.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Religion Necessary?
    By Tetsanosuke Kirikami in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: Dec 10, 2007, 02:20 PM
  2. True Feelings About A True Person....
    By equinn in forum Poems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 29, 2007, 01:42 PM
  3. True Name True Power -- Tarot Method, Ancient truth with a twist
    By darkness of an angel in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr 24, 2007, 10:30 AM
  4. Religion
    By kedar in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Feb 26, 2006, 02:26 PM
  5. religion
    By Wing 0 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Sep 15, 2005, 09:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts