+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion, is it true?

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Religion, is it true?

Quote Originally Posted by basilisk888 View Post
    I see your point but it goes back to the past arguement... about going astray from the "real truth"... well not saying we have to say all that has been said before... but its a less chance that science theroies have been changed and minlipulated (from the 60's and 70's) because they have been "made" not to long ago. so they have less chance of being changed for ones benifit... (but some are influenced by gov...)
    It also goes back to your original question about what if the foundation, the originators of the scriptures were not correct. After all to go astray from "real truth" they had to have been right in the first place. Well what if the originators of the scientific theories are wrong? Those theories in the 60-70's were founded on writings from the mid-1800's. What if their original theories are flawed? What percentage of a given theory is actually "true" and how does that then beget flaws in theories created now using them as a basis? For that matter even if it is a new original theory from the last few decades does the length of time really have an impact on it's truthfulness? Most importantly does any theory have more then cyclic evidence where evidence of it's possibility is based on it's own theory or another historically flawed one; was it's foundation influenced by politics and personal belief?

To put it in the context of the thread subject science is mans understanding and our understanding is just as flawed as we are. Isn't that nice? It means we will always have something new to learn but only if we are willing to admit that we may have been wrong before. If I was to be asked if science is true the same way you asked if religion is I would say no for the exact same reason. For something to be "true" it has to ALL be true. Give me absolute truth every time.

That is the danger of making science your religion. If it leads to closing your mind to other ideas and blindly believing that theories are indeed fact it restricts new learning in the future. We need to be willing to ask questions so we can find answers even when they contradict what we have been taught is true, be it science or religion.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

It also goes back to your original question about what if the foundation, the originators of the scriptures were not correct. After all to go astray from "real truth" they had to have been right in the first place. Well what if the originators of the scientific theories are wrong? Those theories in the 60-70's were founded on writings from the mid-1800's. What if their original theories are flawed? What percentage of a given theory is actually "true" and how does that then beget flaws in theories created now using them as a basis? For that matter even if it is a new original theory from the last few decades does the length of time really have an impact on it's truthfulness? Most importantly does any theory have more then cyclic evidence where evidence of it's possibility is based on it's own theory or another historically flawed one; was it's foundation influenced by politics and personal belief?

To put it in the context of the thread subject science is mans understanding and our understanding is just as flawed as we are. Isn't that nice? It means we will always have something new to learn but only if we are willing to admit that we may have been wrong before. If I was to be asked if science is true the same way you asked if religion is I would say no for the exact same reason. For something to be "true" it has to ALL be true. Give me absolute truth every time.

That is the danger of making science your religion. If it leads to closing your mind to other ideas and blindly believing that theories are indeed fact it restricts new learning in the future. We need to be willing to ask questions so we can find answers even when they contradict what we have been taught is true, be it science or religion.
    rolf; you have created a double edged sword ^^ same as religon same as science... so anything really "created" by man has to be flawed in some way. Some ideas in science and some in religon; the problem is as you said; people chose (not all people) one or the other and follow it. If you take ideas from both you can have a better understanding of the world. You may think that the world was created by "god" and not think of some of the other ideas and I may think that it was a natural cause and all life was created by itself no "help" from a "god"... but I agree that you should never completly shut out the other side... (not all the way shut out)
    death and life are one and the same

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly, and yes it is a double edged sword. There are two "catches" to that kind of belief however.
    1. If God does exist and is omnipotent then his understanding is perfect and his words are true. It is our understanding of his knowledge that is imperfect just as we are.
    2. If it is possible to find truth in both science and religion and we are willing to keep an open mind to find it we are also responsible for the knowledge we gain when we succeed.

That is why the more I learn of both religion and science the more I believe in creationism rather then evolution or even intelligent design (which I used to be on the fence about). It is a truth I am learning about but do not yet fully comprehend.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Newbie ANIMEFREAK10 is off to a good start ANIMEFREAK10's Avatar
    Thanks

Religion is just something that makes people feel less lonely in the world. Most of the religions are flawed but its a good thing to bring many people together in a common belief.

Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Thanks

Religion is to make people feel less lonely in the world. But it can make other people feel ostracized. I typically go into a Christian chatroom on myspace and almost every single day I see a few people bash the non-believers and those who are homosexual that frequent that chat and happen to be more intelligent than they are. (Most of them are indeed my friends). Christianity is supposed to be about love. You are supposed to love your neighbor regardless if they are homosexual, pagan, atheist, etc. I mean it is just ludacrious.

AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly, and yes it is a double edged sword. There are two "catches" to that kind of belief however.
    If God does exist and is omnipotent then his understanding is perfect and his words are true. It is our understanding of his knowledge that is imperfect just as we are.

If it is possible to find truth in both science and religion and we are willing to keep an open mind to find it we are also responsible for the knowledge we gain when we succeed.

That is why the more I learn of both religion and science the more I believe in creationism rather then evolution or even intelligent design (which I used to be on the fence about). It is a truth I am learning about but do not yet fully comprehend.
    true true, I'm going to read the bible now =P

Religion is just something that makes people feel less lonely in the world. Most of the religions are flawed but its a good thing to bring many people together in a common belief.
    just like Hitler brought his people into the comon belief that Jews are the cause of their problems? (stupid as it is...) (german also) (hate it)

Religion is to make people feel less lonely in the world. But it can make other people feel ostracized. I typically go into a Christian chatroom on myspace and almost every single day I see a few people bash the non-believers and those who are homosexual that frequent that chat and happen to be more intelligent than they are. (Most of them are indeed my friends). Christianity is supposed to be about love. You are supposed to love your neighbor regardless if they are homosexual, pagan, atheist, etc. I mean it is just ludacrious.
    ya... but some religons do not say bad things about that... (I think...)
    death and life are one and the same

Otaku hedgehog666 is off to a good start
    Thanks

but still religion so far has been false and it changes here and there all the time and thanks to religion the u.s. and iraq r at war and the economy is starting to fall. see its ether get rid of religion or combine all the religions so the world could be at peace and know one else will have to die over stupid stuff like religion
    when the mask comes off the real me appeares

Newbie wingzeroty is off to a good start wingzeroty's Avatar
    Thanks

ok to end all this discussion. no religion is not true. its what a bunch of old people who's loved ones left them to enjoy life and younger mates. so to all you old people Shut Up. were tired of hearing yoru crap. and taking up our time and making the hottest looking girls go to church. you selfish old bastards.
    Home Invaders Will Be Shot, Survivors Will Be Shot Again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 34 ... LastLast