+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast
Results 25 to 32 of 310

Thread: Religion, is it true?

  1. #25
    Otaku Yasmine may be famous one day Yasmine may be famous one day Yasmine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Above and Beyond
    Posts
    406
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    There is a God if you want to believe in him. Religions are all over the world, it's almost a way of living now. Some do believe, some don't, but really religion lies within yourself.

    Nobody can "prove" that God is among us and watching over us. That's why they call it "believing", there IS no proof. Old prophets told us that God gave us signs, in all kinds of religion (Muslims, Christians, Buddists and ancient religions). It seems that they are all pointing to one "God", but he expresses himself in different ways.

    Nobody knows the truth really, that's why people just believe what they think is "true". It's just another individual thing. As long as there is no real proof of God, people will just randomly believe or not believe. I mean Jesus, Mohammed and other prophets came by... They told us he IS there.

    I do believe in God, and I don't doubt it by a bit. But that's just me ^_^.

    || I forgot that I might see so many beautiful things - Dreamvisions ||

  2. #26
    Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere far far away from here.
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by psychical View Post
    I'm afraid that wasn't. You do know what an argument looks like, don't you? That sentence could've been his point, and therefore should be supported by proof or facts; or it could've been a proof in itself, and supported something bigger, such as "therefore, those who subscribe to religion are nothing but lost, ignorant souls blind to the light of atheism/agnosticism." That unsupported statement, by the way, doesn't make for good proof either, as it simply jumps to a conclusion of sorts. Reiterating something makes for good sophistry, but alas, not for good argument.

    Oh, speaking of arguments, I'm not sure we've even defined the terms yet. We can't arrive at a conclusion if we don't come to terms. So, Mr. Sithis, how do you define "religion" and "true"?
    Actually Alestier has it right. It is in a sense an ego booster. It gives you closure from the things you fear and or hate the most. What's wrong with that?

    And Islam has just as many nutters running around trying to ruin it for everyone else just as much Christianity does.

  3. #27
    AO #1 (fill in the blank) KungFu Basil Champion, Lost In The Jungle Champion, Heli Attack 2 Champion basilisk888 is off to a good start basilisk888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    death and life again
    Posts
    685
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    its not wrong or anything but it is just anoying how people are always haveing to talk about it and the people who are out there on the streets yelling away at people... (no offence to the people who do that kind of thing) but people can be anoying at times... I'm not trying to say that it is not good (to a point) but it has its downs also... There is some peeple who take these things to far... But I gues its not for me to say who is good and who is crazy but I just think there are crazy and insane religon people out there...

    "The end of the world will happen. How is up to the people."
    death and life are one and the same

  4. #28
    Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Secure Undisclosed Locationville
    Posts
    314
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    Actually Alestier has it right. It is in a sense an ego booster. It gives you closure from the things you fear and or hate the most. What's wrong with that?
    OK. Let's assume for the sake of the argument that faith, simply put, is "something that you believe in." We believe that the earth revolves around the sun. That's something we believe in, and scientifically it has been proven to be true. Some of us may believe that Obama would be chosen as the Democratic candidate, others still Hillary. That's faith, in yet another sense. Or it could be subjective. I for one strongly believe that New Orleans is a beautiful city, pre- and post-Katrina.

    But religious faith, Descended from Darkness, is something similar to faith in the "ordinary" sense, but something different entirely. Allow me to demonstrate with a funny example:

    Let's assume you're for Hillary. You live in a neighborhood in which a majority zealously supports Obama, even to the point of violence. Now, due to some mistaken notion that's gotten into their heads, they think that the more Dems they could rally to their side by any means necessary, the sooner Obama gets the candidacy. Or they could just off the Hillary people. So after finding out you're for Hill, a torch-bearing mob armed to the teeth marches into your home one night, and they drag you out.

    They ask you: "Are you for Hill?"

    Of course, you know that to say "yes" would mean suicide by mob-lynching, and probably even worse before that.

    So you say "No, I'm not."

    "Liar," one of them says. "I know you are, but you could change your mind and join us. If you do, we'll let you live." So you do.

    So there. Things like those aren't what people would normally die for. (No offense to those from N'awlins, but I'd change my mind if forced to at gunpoint... Désolé, mes amis!) But as for religion, well, I could argue from history -- something the good people here at A.O. have failed to do so far.

    Even good ol' Wikipedia would attest to the fact that Christians of all stripes since the beginning of Christianity have been persecuted to the point of death (and at times, extermination of entire communities) -- even to this day. Sure, it began as an apparent offshoot of Judaism, yet if it were just something renegade Jews could believe in to make themselves feel better, then Peter, James, John and Co. would've given it up after having been roughed up badly. But they didn't. Christians were gutted like fish, burned alive, and fed to lions in order to keep this new "cult" from spreading like the plague, yet they simply refused to call it quits with their newfound faith.

    So tell me, Descended from Darkness...

    If all it was was something that made them feel better, something that simply made them feel proud and high n' mighty, then why didn't they recant? Why didn't they choose the easy way out and revert to paganism?

    I'll wait for your response.

    Oh, and fayt lingod, I agree with ya there.
    Last edited by psychical; Apr 17, 2008 at 05:59 AM.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

  5. #29
    Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Secure Undisclosed Locationville
    Posts
    314
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Oh, and protip to the Muslims amongst us: it'd do you good to look into the works of Averroes. That guy simply rocks, IMO

    Averroes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

  6. #30
    Jigoku Shoujo Dangerous Dave Part 1 : Mole Surfing Champion Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness may be famous one day Descended From Darkness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    somewhere far far away from here.
    Posts
    505
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quoting the post above you is not needed. If you must quote, and are only commenting on something in particular, only quote that. ~ Aceman67

    Because according to the Bible bangers Paganism came from the devil and it goes against the Bible. I for one don't believe in the Bible I'm a bit of deist. People nowadays use Christianity inflate their egos..usually. But I do know a couple pagans. They are some of my best close friends.
    Last edited by aceman67; Apr 18, 2008 at 09:25 PM.

  7. #31
    Golden Crypt Lord James Bunny Champion, Leaf Bouncer Champion, Flying Pengus Champion, Jungle Jumble Champion, Hungry Hippaul Champion LichGRIFFIN may be famous one day LichGRIFFIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Realm of Dark Illusions
    Posts
    1,372
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 46 Times in 43 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by psychical View Post
    Oh, and protip to the Muslims amongst us: it'd do you good to look into the works of Averroes. That guy simply rocks, IMO

    Averroes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thank you but knowing him is related to nationality more than religion ... i mean I and all Arabs with no doubt know of all his accomplishments and many many others like him but i doubt Non-Arabs would do (and we can't blame them) ...
    Life and Death are always one and the same
    EVEN IF A RAINBOW IS BROKEN THERE'S STILL THE SKY

  8. #32
    Otaku psychical is off to a good start psychical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Secure Undisclosed Locationville
    Posts
    314
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts

    Re: Religon, is it true?

    Quote Originally Posted by Descended From Darkness View Post
    Because according to the Bible bangers Paganism came from the devil and it goes against the Bible. I for one don't believe in the Bible I'm a bit of deist. People nowadays use Christianity inflate their egos..usually. But I do know a couple pagans. They are some of my best close friends.
    I'm a theist, so it's good to know that we now have some common ground, you and I. Let's be good friends, shall we?

    I can't help but agree with you there that SOME (but not ALL) Christians use their faith to big up themselves (e.g. politicians, televangelists, etc.). That's actually un-Christianly, if you look at what Christianity actually stands for.

    Anyways, back to the subject of believing. Let's put religious texts such as the Quran and the Bible aside for now; we might get back to those later, should the need arise. So you believe in God (or a god, or gods), and your friends are pagans. Tell me, my friend, why do they believe in what they believe in? Just curious

    Quote Originally Posted by LichGRIFFIN View Post
    Thank you but knowing him is related to nationality more than religion ... i mean I and all Arabs with no doubt know of all his accomplishments and many many others like him but i doubt Non-Arabs would do (and we can't blame them) ...
    Where I come from, though (and I'm not Arab, by the way), even non-Arabs and non-Muslims hold him in high esteem. Even some serious Christian thinkers use his arguments to blast away at atheists. And they usually win, as a result. OUCH.
    Last edited by psychical; Apr 17, 2008 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Merging my newer post with this one. My bad.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Religion Necessary?
    By Tetsanosuke Kirikami in forum Debate and Discuss
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: Dec 10, 2007, 02:20 PM
  2. True Feelings About A True Person....
    By equinn in forum Poems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jul 29, 2007, 01:42 PM
  3. True Name True Power -- Tarot Method, Ancient truth with a twist
    By darkness of an angel in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr 24, 2007, 10:30 AM
  4. Religion
    By kedar in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Feb 26, 2006, 02:26 PM
  5. religion
    By Wing 0 in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Sep 15, 2005, 09:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts