+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is Revenge Ethical?

Otaku FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral may be famous one day FallenSpiral's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is Revenge Ethical?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    So, some unwarranted humiliation from a friend begets life-threatening harm? Are you even listening to yourself?......

..... I can tell you the example above, if you can even call that a real example, is a far cry away from being revenge to begin with, and certainly not justified.
    If you had read what I wrote, you would see that in the text that I wasn't the first nor the last in a long line of her promoting her own negative karma by getting away with doing all the things that she's done to the people around her.

She didn't get what she got JUST because of me.... But because of everything that she had ever done to the other people that tried to be apart of her life, and never got punished before.

You are quite a negative nancy; ha-ha!
    --//Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained\\--

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FallenSpiral For This Useful Post:

HolderOfTheDarkChalice (Aug 13, 2011)

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

You miss my point. Karma does not equal revenge. Revenge is an eye for an eye, a direct lashing back for something someone else did to you. Karma is a similar, but still a completely different concept. Just because bad things happened to a bad person doesn't mean that YOU had revenge on that person.

Your example is a great example of karma. But revenge? No.

If a person I don't like has something bad happen to them, but it makes me feel better does not mean I got revenge on that person. If someone pulled an embarrassing prank on me, and I pulled one back on them, *that's* revenge.

Otaku Marcus Fenix is off to a good start Marcus Fenix's Avatar
    Thanks

Vengence is a very fickle thing. It can bothe work and backfire at the same time. I can be very vicious and blunt or subtle and stealthy, but its all the same.

Vengance can be very destructive...I've wanted revenge agaist my dad for nearly 6 years for what he did to me and my family. But it can go too far; I almost did something that would've gotten me in prison.
    We gotta make our choices...because in the end we are who we choose to be.

Because choice is the only real freedom any of us have.

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay to me revenge "is a dish best served cold." That statement there I didn't come up with, but it is so true. The reason I say that is because seeking to get revenge seems to take that person to a bitter, dark, cold place that resides within ones' self. That warm beating heart of yours will turn into a frigid ice box. The darkness that comes with vengeance will consume any light that you have around you. That is why I really don't condone in revenge, but in some situations I can understand. For example the movie "A Time to Kill". I thought that was where revenge was justified "literally"... lol

Revenge is never ethical, because the person at heart know that what they are about to do is wrong, but they seek revenge because they think it will help ease the pain that has been bestowed upon them.

Well I have more on this topic, but I will leave it at there for right now...
    Peach_follows likes this.

The heart can't lie... Truth is... I love you!!!

Newbie missbad818 is off to a good start missbad818's Avatar
    Thanks

idk about revenge but i personally believe that karma as the say is a b****. I allow my revenge to karma and God.
    Hard work never killed anybody but why try it.

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

I get "like" things on AO.... How facebookish.

I think to some degree, revenge can be a natural reaction. Honestly, sometimes revenge can be sort of a "knee jerk" reaction to certain situations. Like, If someone hits you, you instinctively hit back. In those types of situations I can say I have NO ethical qualms with quick, thoughtless revenge. I also think true crimes of passion are ethically warranted... BUT no crime should go unpunished. Still, If you beat me for 5 years and I snap out and kill you.... I think I'm ethically in the clear.

I really prefer karma... You reap what you sow. If you put it out, you get it back.
    Inuruto likes this.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Zev
    SuperModZilla Zev is making a name for themselves Zev is making a name for themselves Zev's Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't say revenge is ethical, however it will make you feel better. I feel like if the revenge isn't going to horribly effect or end someones life then it's not really a big deal.

Signature is a Gwenibe original.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

How does revenge and ethics even come CLOSE to being in the same category? Revenge is never ethical and is never okay (unless someone beats your high score in the arcade... I'll get you, Trunks. LOL!) I wouldn't even say that being hit and instinctively hitting someone back counts as revenge. That's pretty much self defense--fight or flight. Don't get me wrong. I've wished revenge on people on quite a few occasions. However, that doesn't make it okay. I think holding resentment toward someone who's wronged you is human nature. Acting on it is a choice that we make.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast