+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Is Revenge Ethical?

Otaku Brent-Enix is off to a good start Brent-Enix's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is Revenge Ethical?

^i agree on the self-defence titbit.

i don't think it (revenge) is ethical. in the first place, what good would come of it? although taking revenge does, in a sense, comfort you or make you feel better, that feeling is only temporary. besides, what else can "revenge" actually accomplish?

mmhmm.

AO Helper Word Slider Champion, Penguin Shot Champion, YetiSports 10 - The End Champion, Yetisports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Yetisports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion Mega may be famous one day Mega may be famous one day Mega's Avatar
    Thanks

This is simple. An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Otaku Artistic Anarchy is off to a good start Artistic Anarchy's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't think people are considering ethics in the midst of revenge. Anger is usually fueled by one's wanting fulfillment of their vendetta, anger essentially shuts down the rationality inside of you and at which point the anger flourishes to such an extent it varnishes the mind. I've always been told to think before I react, like many things told to me, it's easier said than done. As a collected at the time person, I would say revenge is ethical to an extent. Sometimes revenge is needed and equal action is necessary to be done unto the original offender. An obscene conjuring of anger can leave a person in serious trouble though, so moderation of vengeance is needed. I feel if a person allows certain feelings, that were never attended to, to lie dormant within them it causes hurt and regret from within, maybe even an ulcer or two. Is revenge ethical? Sometimes and always in moderation.

Newbie marl velius is off to a good start marl velius's Avatar
    Thanks

hhmmmm this is a toughie, but i think in the end "revenge" as a whole is not ethical, but when someone you care for is killed and you know who did it? would you care if its ethical or not? also i think revenge never brings the kind of closure you think it will only brings despair, as they say "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    those who flaunt their power dissapear when the truly powerful appear

Otaku Marcus Fenix is off to a good start Marcus Fenix's Avatar
    Thanks

I know first had of the bittersweet taste of vengance...

I was abused by my father as a child. The man nearly killed me on several occasions and what he did affects me to this day. I still have nightmares, and I still have a hard time standing up for myself when things get rough, even though I try...I still freeze up sometimes.

I want you all to understand something: I had a chance to kill the bastard 3 years ago. I was working for my grandparents at the time and he had come to vist. I grabbed my grandpa's old shotgun, loaded it with two shells, and stood in the hall. Gun cocked, aimed right at his back. I could've pulled the trigger...I should have, knowing now about some of the things he has done. Something stopped me, and it wasn't fear or being afraid of hitting my grandparents.

No, what stopped me that day was the love of my family. If I had pulled the trigger, my two younger brothers would've grown up knowing that big bro was a murderer, my sisters, already struggleing against my lousy reputation, would've just had to fight even harder then, they would be seen in that same light.

I leave you all with this parting query: 'Those who seek vengance should dig two graves; one for their enemies, and one for themselves.'
    We gotta make our choices...because in the end we are who we choose to be.

Because choice is the only real freedom any of us have.

Newbie Alecto is off to a good start Alecto's Avatar
    Thanks

vengence will never get you anything, killing your tormentor wouldn't undo what they did, neither would it stop the long time effect it case.
    I don't believe it's ethical, it's all consuming it ruins lives and brings you down to your tormentors level. It's violence that will just hurt more people often the people closest to you
    Major respect for have the fore though, an control to pretty much save your family from losing you, an of course save you self from the fall out!

Otaku Marcus Fenix is off to a good start Marcus Fenix's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alecto View Post
    Major respect for have the fore though, an control to pretty much save your family from losing you, an of course save you self from the fall out!
    Thank you. You have no Idead how much that means to me.
    We gotta make our choices...because in the end we are who we choose to be.

Because choice is the only real freedom any of us have.

Newbie noobody is off to a good start noobody's Avatar
    Thanks

it depends on the system. if one comes from a culture which approves revenge, then it is ethical.

i don't know if it is wanted, desired or positive though. some people would tell you that it (revenge) helped them mature in a completely different way than denying it altogether, something about having power over sb else and handling it with responsibility.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast