Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it right to allow children to believe in imaginary people?

Newbie midnight mistress is off to a good start midnight mistress's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it right to allow children to believe in imaginary people?

by imaginary people i mean like Santa and the Easter bunny, because then we tell them we have been lying to them. So is it right to allow children to believe in something that will eventually hurt them?

Otaku Kool2bchilln may be famous one day Kool2bchilln may be famous one day Kool2bchilln's Avatar
    5 minutes past where the church used to be.
    Thanks

Re: Is it right to allow children to believe in imaginary people?

I think of it as a challenge for the child to realize reality. To notice if what they're doing or believe is a lie or not. You learn to believe in only what you can back with reality.

For me, i stopped believing in santa when i learned enough about computers that norad started me thinking about the horrible animated quality, and about the bullshit equation of how many houses he would have to visit in the allotted time that it would be night and delivery. And possibly the picture of the people standing, GPS-supported, at the physical north pole, with no "santa's workshop" might have tipped me off. don't ask where i saw it, i don't know.

I simply understood later why they let me believe that for such a long time, and it also taught me to think for myself moreso than i had ever before.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kool2bchilln For This Useful Post:

midnight mistress (Oct 31, 2008)

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

They would probably grow out of it, and realise that there is a few more important things in life than santa or easter bunny
    This world is corrupt
    Save tonight and fight the break of dawn
    I am so alone, I got no one to talk to, please help me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cantsenditback For This Useful Post:

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Uhh, seeing as I at one time believed in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and I as a human being am totally fine, I see absolutely no problems with doing that kinda thing, and it is a tradition in fact I can't wait to continue when I have kids someday. I suppose I don't see how it can really hurt a child, it's not really lying, it's pretending. Not telling a kid who their real dad is or something would be lying, but stuff like santa, tooth fairy, come on. Don't be a downer parent. Cuz then you'll just be raising downer kids, and no one likes downer kids.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it is alright for children to believe in imaginary people, because they will eventully grow out of it. At the same time, I think it could mess with their psyche and cause future problems that may effect social and people skills. There are pros and cons to every solution

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

9. The Following User Says Thank You to princesslady For This Useful Post:

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

What about God? j/k didn't mean to cause trouble

I think it's definitely fine, you definitely want you children to be a little bit naive so they can learn to believe/trust and not grow to be major cynic. Everyone knows that cynics are annoying and not liked.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    What about God? j/k didn't mean to cause trouble
    Someone was going to say it eventually, right? I actually thought about posting that in my initial reply too, but I guess I didn't feel like being a bastard today.

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

No it is not right. Yes most kids just go from "oh it's real" to "oh it's make believe" without any trouble but there are those who don't and it can change their outlook on life forever. Trust issues doesn't even begin to cover it.

The sad part? It's not necessary to choose. I tell my kids when something is make believe all the time. Their reaction? Ok, that's cool. So when does Santa come? At that age they don't CARE if it's real or imaginary it's still fun. Now our youngest wants to catch the tooth fairy in action just so he can find out who the "helpers" are that do it for the imaginary fairy.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast