Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Is it right to allow children to believe in imaginary people?

Newbie midnight mistress is off to a good start midnight mistress's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Is it right to allow children to believe in imaginary people?

Quote Originally Posted by Legend View Post
    What about God? j/k didn't mean to cause trouble
    for me no-one has proved he doesnt exist so he could still be real....

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    No it is not right. Yes most kids just go from "oh it's real" to "oh it's make believe" without any trouble but there are those who don't and it can change their outlook on life forever. Trust issues doesn't even begin to cover it.
    i completely argee. How can a child trust a parent who just makes people up? i stopped believing in him when i was 6/7 and christmas didnt change for me. Also does believing in santa make you behvae any different during the year as he is meant to ( the whole good list bad list.)

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

No it is not right. Yes most kids just go from "oh it's real" to "oh it's make believe" without any trouble but there are those who don't and it can change their outlook on life forever. Trust issues doesn't even begin to cover it.

The sad part? It's not necessary to choose. I tell my kids when something is make believe all the time. Their reaction? Ok, that's cool. So when does Santa come? At that age they don't CARE if it's real or imaginary it's still fun. Now our youngest wants to catch the tooth fairy in action just so he can find out who the "helpers" are that do it for the imaginary fairy.
    How old are your kids? I dont think its right telling a 7 year old Santas a fake. The worlds harsh enough, kids need to believe in something magical like this. No wonder kids now a days lack imagination and wonder.

Otaku Muffin is off to a good start
    Thanks

Well it's not as if you can make them not believe.
    If Santa and the Easter Bunny are constantly shown on the TV, shops and just generally in view of the public and widley believed by other children then they'll likely come to their own conclusions no-matter what you tell them.

My Grandparents constantly told me God was real and that I should become a Cristian yet I'm still an atheist and have never been to church during a service, only weddings and funerals.

I believed what I wanted regardless of what I was told so I can only assume other kids will do likewise.
    Baldrick, you wouldn't see a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a Harpsichord sining "Subtle plans are here again!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Muffin For This Useful Post:

midnight mistress (Nov 02, 2008)

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miroku4444 View Post
    How old are your kids? I dont think its right telling a 7 year old Santas a fake. The worlds harsh enough, kids need to believe in something magical like this. No wonder kids now a days lack imagination and wonder.
    Haven't we had this conversation before? Our youngest is less then 7, we've never told him Santa is real, and he's still excited at Christmas. His imagination is amazing too. Our oldest figured out who was doing it years ago and now he asks to help play Santa for his brother and is excited to do it. You don't have to lie to your kids to encourage make believe, just play along with them instead. Honestly I think they like it better that way.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Haven't we had this conversation before? Our youngest is less then 7, we've never told him Santa is real, and he's still excited at Christmas. His imagination is amazing too. Our oldest figured out who was doing it years ago and now he asks to help play Santa for his brother and is excited to do it. You don't have to lie to your kids to encourage make believe, just play along with them instead. Honestly I think they like it better that way.
    Uh oh Mirokuu that's a big no no with ladies when you don't remember your conversations with them . For me I just think 7 is a bit old but at the same time there shouldn't be a age line for kids. Me for some reason just simply had a light bulb go off one day and I knew all the stuff were fake. No one needed to tell me.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

As it is with all things: If something is taken to the excess, it can be harmful.

There's nothing wrong with letting a child develope their imagination, which can help them later on in life since it can help them with problem solving skills (Allowing them to imagine different outcomes)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Newbie midnight mistress is off to a good start midnight mistress's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont think believing in Santa can allow a child to develop their' imagination skills, isnt that what fairy tales are for?

Legendary Otaku GrimmjowJaggerjack is off to a good start GrimmjowJaggerjack's Avatar
    Thanks

it depends santa and the tooth fairy are alright but something else could cause mental issues or something

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast