Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Right and Wrong: who decides?

Newbie Shatter is off to a good start Shatter's Avatar
    Thanks

Right and Wrong: who decides?

Hello, I'm Shatter.

So this is just a random thought, not sure if it would even raise any debates, but... who decides what's right and wrong? I mean, the way I see it many of us have different ideas of 'right' and/or 'wrong'. So I ask, who came up with this idea or belief?

My belief is that we choose what's 'right' or 'wrong' on what is generally 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable', but are those two really the same? Take for example, someone nude in public. Is it wrong? Some people might think so. Why? I have no idea, but they claim so. Another example: what if someone lost their wallet? Is returning really 'right' or just the kind thing to do, and thereby acceptable?

I feel I could've done better on this starting arguement, but that's all I had. LOL
    Hopefully some of you can weigh in on this and help me put this thing that's been annoying me for a while to rest.

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Right and Wrong: who decides?

People in power decide what is wrong. It is an arbitrary system but one that we all have to live with. Moral and religious leaders as well guide are sense of eight and wrong.

No system is perfect but it is necessary. Just having laws as morals isn't enough. It sets up a system where by people who are not caught are in the right.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

people in power def don't decide what's right and wrong, they make laws, big difference, Beast.

ethics in my view are a set of rules based off past experiences, personal experience and beliefs, and developing a sense of justice. A big part of what makes something right or wrong has to do with fairness to how someone is treated, and how we 'feel' about it.

You gave the example of a lost wallet, Shatter; try to return it, or keep it for yourself? What has made it an ethical choice to try to return it is the simple concept I'm sure you've heard before: "what if it were my wallet that got lost? Wouldn't I want someone to return to me what's rightfully mine, not just have it taken and never given back?" Losing a wallet is often an innocent mistake, am I right? Perhaps it fell out of your pocket, you left it somewhere and forgot it, etc. Putting yourself in the situation where you're the victim determines largely what we conceive as right and wrong. "Treat others as you wish to be treated", the phrase goes.

Of course there is almost always a clash of ethics, where the fairest outcome isn't always clear or might not exist. The concept of right and wrong can also be cultural; different people have conceived similar situations differently and in turn the rules of what's right or wrong will differ, sometimes drastically.

So I guess what I'm saying is that ethics are determined by the society at large, and is developed over a long period of time. We look at our own personal experiences on what we think is right and wrong, and compare them with each other, and often we find a lot of common ground and the unspoken rules are almost universal. Granted like laws, ethical rules may change as the society changes, but there are many rules or laws that remain quite rigid.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark. For This Useful Post:

!beast (Apr 09, 2010)

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Your personal beliefs, I insist, are always up to you. However in different realms of life outside yourself, actions will have their consequences. Whether it be from a religious\spiritual stand point, politics and legalities, or just natural consequence.

People do things that are unacceptable all the time, that they don't feel is wrong. No matter how they feel, they'd have to accept the consequences that may come. Sometimes there isn't a bad consequence, sometimes there is.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    people in power def don't decide what's right and wrong, they make laws, big difference, Beast.
    So what laws do we have that you think are unjust. What reforms would you suggest.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

Answering your question goes into a completely different topic called politics beast, and you'll excuse me if I don't wish to dwell into that shit storm.

My point in the previous post is this. law makers, at least in this country, are representatives of many people that are elected to do the will of the people. While it is true that law makers make the ethics which we call law 'official' and enforce them, they aren't truly making the rules, they are merely taking what was developed by the masses years ago and writing them down in the 'rule book', as it were. In some ways the law is powerful, but if it unjust the people will react. Want an example? See the civil rights movement in the 1960s and you'll see just how much power the people truly have when it comes setting the rules straight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    See the civil rights movement in the 1960s and you'll see just how much power the people truly have when it comes setting the rules straight.
    It resulted in the Civil Rights Act of 1964. But as you previously said laws and law makers are not just so it resulted in what was an unjust law being passed, if your using your line of reasoning that the laws we pass are immoral. You contradicted yourself.

Personally I don't see how the country benefited from the civil rights movement or any of the ill disciplined youths upheavals. Essentially you just say, " civil rights movement is good.". That is not even logic.

Otaku superstar9156 is off to a good start superstar9156's Avatar
    Thanks

good question. i wonder tht sometines to but never get a good answer.( to me). i should asked and do a survey about tht. just to see what the world has to say about it.

A Soul Needs a Purpose to Live.- Gaara

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast