+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Root of All Evil

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

The Root of All Evil

____________ is the root of all evil.

Fill it in and argue about it.

(in the case that your cause of evil is some messy, compound, and/and/and affair ~ please trim it down to the most essential bit. Ie. "___________________ is the root of most evil." )

Otaku Grimm Akumu is off to a good start
    Outer Heaven,in Zanzibar Land, around the corner from Shadow Moses Island right beside the Big Shell
    Thanks

Re: The Root of All Evil

money is the root of all evil, it makes people kill one another for it, and for what? to buy stupid stuff. and its the governments fault in the first place, so i guess money and the government are the root of all evil

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grimm Akumu For This Useful Post:

Young Wolf (Apr 15, 2008)

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grimm Akumu View Post
    money is the root of all evil, it makes people kill one another for it, and for what? to buy stupid stuff. and its the governments fault in the first place, so i guess money and the government are the root of all evil
    I disagree...the "love" of money which produces greed is what causes those things not the money itself. That is much the same as saying that guns kill people, a gun can do nothing by itself...those who use it to kill are to blame.

Otaku Grimm Akumu is off to a good start
    Outer Heaven,in Zanzibar Land, around the corner from Shadow Moses Island right beside the Big Shell
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblackhammer View Post
    I disagree...the "love" of money which produces greed is what causes those things not the money itself. That is much the same as saying that guns kill people, a gun can do nothing by itself...those who use it to kill are to blame.
    very true, my bad, greed and love of money is the root of it

Otaku Luminous is off to a good start
    Thanks

Intellect is the root of all evil. If evil can be defined as a negative act that a given species would not instinctually commit(After all, we don't call bears evil because they maul hikers in the forest right?), then the ability to decide upon an action disregarding instinct is probably the root of all evil.

Greed probably works too, although greed can be source of good as well. For example, if Bill Gates wants more money, power, etc, he'll make us a decent operating system. Win/win.

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually disagree on that & say that "money" is one of the root of all evil... And yes money itself...

Money has a tendency to bring out the worst in people & not necessarily the ones with the money. People around you & the persons you come into contact with or never met.

Something that powerful that can start a chain reaction of nothing but sins i.e. hate, jealousy, greed, lust, pride, gluttony, & laziness has no choice to be a source to all evil.

You have ppl do stupid things not just for a whole lot of money or the love of money but just money itself. Money can change a person drastically & can make/turn desires strong from within that a person they never thought was there.

I agree that the love of money can be dreadful, but you can have someone who loves money, but not be greedy instead has a glutton for spending or better yet is a wealthy philanthropist who is trying to give back to mankind, but have others jealous or hating them cause they have money to give away like that.

I haven't got into full detail yet cause my time is cut short nor have I said what I believe is another root to all evil, which is religion, but that's for another time as for my later discussion. ^_^

The heart can't lie... Truth is... I love you!!!

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inuruto View Post
    I actually disagree on that & say that "money" is one of the root of all evil... And yes money itself...

Money has a tendency to bring out the worst in people & not necessarily the ones with the money. People around you & the persons you come into contact with or never met.

Something that powerful that can start a chain reaction of nothing but sins i.e. hate, jealousy, greed, lust, pride, gluttony, & laziness has no choice to be a source to all evil.

You have ppl do stupid things not just for a whole lot of money or the love of money but just money itself. Money can change a person drastically & can make/turn desires strong from within that a person they never thought was there.

I agree that the love of money can be dreadful, but you can have someone who loves money, but not be greedy instead has a glutton for spending or better yet is a wealthy philanthropist who is trying to give back to mankind, but have others jealous or hating them cause they have money to give away like that.

I haven't got into full detail yet cause my time is cut short nor have I said what I believe is another root to all evil, which is religion, but that's for another time as for my later discussion. ^_^
    Money does nothing it is an inanimate object, it has no ability to do anything.

It is people who give it meaning in their acts towards obtaining and using it. Therefore you really meant that people are the root of all evil since they are the ones who misuse it. Much the same as religion, it is not religion which is bad but those who misuse it for their own gain.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

The root of something doesn't necessarily need to commit the evil in question... it needs only to be the ultimate cause of it. We can argue the semantics for days, but in the end the sentence is designed to be filled with a single word to sum up a generalization.

I would agree that "money" is a decent nomination.

We're talking about the source... not necesarily the "evil" itself.

ie. If we remove money from the equation, does wealth-seperation/greed still exist? Maybe... but a better case can be made for eliminating money than for executing everyone who is greedy.

If we remove religion from the equation, do faith-based conflicts end? does oppression of women end? etc. etc. Maybe... maybe not... but a better case can be made for stamping out religion than stamping out those who believe in it.

The root doesn't need to be a DIRECT cause. It can be the "bait", the "justification", the "reward", whatever...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast