+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Root of All Evil

Legendary Otaku Snake Champion, Zelda Champion, Crazy Koala Champion, Minigolf Champion, Concentrate Champion, Guess 5 Champion, Batting Champ Champion, Beach Ball Control Champion, Bookworm Champion, Wacky Word Wiz Champion, Fight Fight 3 Champion, Spinner's Luck Champion, Traffic Jam Champion, Yeti Pengu Throw Champion Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend is making a name for themselves Legend's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The Root of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    The root of something doesn't necessarily need to commit the evil in question... it needs only to be the ultimate cause of it. We can argue the semantics for days, but in the end the sentence is designed to be filled with a single word to sum up a generalization.

I would agree that "money" is a decent nomination.

We're talking about the source... not necesarily the "evil" itself.

ie. If we remove money from the equation, does wealth-seperation/greed still exist? Maybe... but a better case can be made for eliminating money than for executing everyone who is greedy.

If we remove religion from the equation, do faith-based conflicts end? does oppression of women end? etc. etc. Maybe... maybe not... but a better case can be made for stamping out religion than stamping out those who believe in it.

The root doesn't need to be a DIRECT cause. It can be the "bait", the "justification", the "reward", whatever...
    So shouldn't it be the person who came up with the idea of using currency over the barter system???

And then we can also blame his/her parents for giving birth to that person.

'Cause you give me something / That makes me scared, alright / This could be nothing / But I'm willing to give it a try / Please give me something
    'Cause someday I might call you from my heart

Otaku Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001 may be famous one day Joshua001's Avatar
    Thanks

Greed is the root of all evile because money isnt the only thing people kill over and without greed there wouldnt be a problem with money
    Barbecued,bake,fryed,every sort of sauce as well as bread of dog.......No mater what it always tastes like chicken. Any ideas oh how to change this?

I'm sleepy... Jukebox Hero Champion, Word Up Champion, Word Craze Champion gren may be famous one day gren may be famous one day gren's Avatar
    Thanks

Fear is the root of all evil. Fear of losing what you have, fear of not getting what you want, fear of the unknown, fear of anything different, fear that you'll be shown for the fraud that you are by people who are smarter, faster, stronger and just plain better than you. Fear breeds hatred and intolerance, which leads people to do evil.

Not only does fear lead to evil in the people that hold it, the fearful are so easily manipulated that they willingly do and accept evil if instructed by a strong, comforting voice that tells them what they long to hear. It's how racists, religious fanatics, gay bashers, politicians, the media, etc. operate, playing on the fears of the people who believe in them.
    sig by Pyro Psycho

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gren For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Mar 14, 2008)

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with you Gren But I think there is something that beats fear... "Power"

If we see through history bad people with power did attrocities and unthinkable things towards human being...
    Some examples:

Bloody Mary: Having a resentment against christians she got to power. Once in there she made the most bloody history part of christianity. Her torture and killing methods were unthinkable!!

Going back through history we have the witch hunting and killing. Fomented by whom? the leaders of those times....

One famous: Hittler! I think most of us know at least what he did with jews and non jews. But mostly the jews.... I cannot still grasp so much evil and mistreatment towards humans!

Another Stalin!! with his "wise" power he made the USSR fall bit by bit. Nope, I don't think Gorvachev was responsible for the fall... actually he wanted to save and restore the Union.
    Also Stalin almost provoked WWIII just after the WWII was over!! during the Cold War!!

The Hutu vs Tutsi genocide in Ruanda was promoted by the radio by their President!!!

and so on so on so on!!

There is something connected to power: Money

Money gives power... and power... can do a lot of good... but also very very bad things.... for me the trigger of all evil is power. From there... we can go on and on....
    People in power are always afraid if someone is going to take their power away... so they do the impossible to remain there...
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

I vote for:

Immaturity is the root of all evil.

Sounds absurd? Think about it. As we grow all the things our parents are supposed to teach us are "good". Share your things with others, say please and thank you, it doesn't matter if you didn't mean it to happen you should have thought about it first (the number of times I have said that one....). The mental attitude of actions with no consequences or an egocentric belief that the world revolves around you is one shared with my 5 year old. Yet there are people who seem to have never learned better or are just in denial. I submit to you that they simply never grew up or have chosen not to mature.

So, immaturity is the root of all evil.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Arrianna For This Useful Post:

ILikeApples5520 (Mar 25, 2008)

Commander Ham Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer is making a name for themselves Chiefblackhammer's Avatar
    Thanks

The root of something doesn't necessarily need to commit the evil in question... it needs only to be the ultimate cause of it. We can argue the semantics for days, but in the end the sentence is designed to be filled with a single word to sum up a generalization.

I would agree that "money" is a decent nomination.

We're talking about the source... not necesarily the "evil" itself.
    People cause and create everything considered evil, even the definition of it. Simply put without us there is no such thing as evil. You can't say money causes anything because it is someone's love, desire, need or lust for it which causes them to even create, print or use money. Thus the "cause" is those feelings which we as people create. Meaning the "origin" or "source" of evil is people not an inanimate object.

ie. If we remove money from the equation, does wealth-seperation/greed still exist? Maybe... but a better case can be made for eliminating money than for executing everyone who is greedy.
    Money is only a medium for buying things, eliminate it and you have changed nothing. The greed and "evil" is still there. People will still kill, cheat, rob and destroy to "get" things. Even when they have no real need of it. Making a case for eliminating money to fix the problem is the same as changing a band-aid to a gauze on a wound that never heals. Neither caused the issue and neither can fix it, simply because you cannot "fix" human nature and human nature is evident.

If we remove religion from the equation, do faith-based conflicts end? does oppression of women end? etc. etc. Maybe... maybe not... but a better case can be made for stamping out religion than stamping out those who believe in it.
    People will find a way to war and conflict regardless of religion, it isn't the religion which is wrong but those who warp the teachings of that religion to perverseness and use that as a means of justification for their evilness. Much the same oppression of women is not a religious affair, while it historically is linked to religion it is not something that would disappear with the removal of religion. As long as people allow themselves to be repressed others will repress them. I am in no way blaming women for being oppressed just stating that religion is a medium, remove it and laws and statues will replace them. Remove those and other means will arise.

The root doesn't need to be a DIRECT cause. It can be the "bait", the "justification", the "reward", whatever...
    Your use of the word root in the sense of the question of this thread would imply the meaning primary source or the origin. "Bait", "justification" and "reward" are all superficial; a root is the hidden thing which sustains being. Remove "bait", "justification" and "reward" and you will still have evil because the root is none of those things. It us in our heart of hearts which use those things to cover what we really are.

anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Thanks

Then your answer would be "people"... and that's your argument.

Doesn't make anyone else's argument any less valid for actually attempting to answer the question at hand in a word :P

We're completing a common cliche... a common cliche that usually ends in a noun.

ie. "Money is the root of all evil", "Women are the root of all evil", "Religion is the root of all evil", etc.

Can we stop with the semantics already? :/

Banned CTD High Jump Champion, Cop-For-This Champion, Soap Bubble Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Kill Time in Your Office Champion, Slow Motion Champion, Moodys Magical Eye Champion, The Fridge Champion, Dangerous Fishing Champion, Panda Golf 2: Christmas Edition Champion, Driving Mad Champion, Head to Head Champion, Super Headers Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Air Dodge Champion, Chopper Chase Champion, F/A-18 Hornet Champion, Snow Boarding Champion, Spaceman Bob`s Great Escape Champion, Space Cowboy Champion, Rons Free Fall Champion, Gandys Quest Champion, Black Dragon Champion, Samegame and Champion, Mayan Mask Champion, 42 Games Champion, Cubedelic Champion, Smaugs Schatkist Champion, Python Champion, Thor Towers Champion Mini Dev is off to a good start
    Thanks

We are the root of evil, most items mentioned we have created, we are the source, you must dig deep. You could say god's evil becuase he created us. Well actually no because god intenended for all of us to be equal and live with our own minds we create what we are. It's pretty simple if oyu don'tbelive in god then that point dosen't count and it proves my point more. If we could all change this topic would be pointless as we would all be equal and no evil would exsist. However the chances of everyone changing is winning the lottery everyday since you were 15 to when you are 100. Which is possible like chaning everyone is possible, it's just the time we don't have as our earth will be long gone before we change our selfish ways.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast