+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Saddam Hussein is dead

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Saddam Hussein is dead

Quote Originally Posted by FLawEdmiNd View Post
    No it wasn't, Hussein never asked for soldiers to go over there, not verbally and in the sense I'm talking about. Yes, his actions did call to attention the need to suppress he tyranny, but that does not change the fact that he did not issue a challenge to the soldiers who eventually died over there.
    That could be argued since the US was in an armistice (cease fire) with Iraq at the time and yet Iraqi military forces were firing on US and UK troops and planes on a daily basis. Last I checked firing on another countries troops during a cease fire is called resuming hostilities or a declaration of war. See, some of us would consider declaring war on another country to be a challenge.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    That could be argued since the US was in an armistice (cease fire) with Iraq at the time and yet Iraqi military forces were firing on US and UK troops and planes on a daily basis. Last I checked firing on another countries troops during a cease fire is called resuming hostilities or a declaration of war. See, some of us would consider declaring war on another country to be a challenge.
    I have to totally agree with Arrianna here. If Iraq really wanted to end this little war they wouldn't have fought back when we turned our backs on the war. I know it's not right to start a war but you should not expect us to just sit back and let another country walk all over us. Bullcrap I would rather die then let someone walk all over my country. I might not like the US alot but hell it's my home so I will protect her. I did not join because of my mom she wouldn't want to have the chance of loosing 2 out of her 3 kids. So I will protect my country from where I stand. I support my troops a hundred percent not because my brothers in there but because they are my heros. My soldiers in a way. So you can say all you want about how your words are harsh because you really don't care but you also live in Canada you are not part of this war. You are just watching from the sidelines trying to throw in something that you may not even know about.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

The American and British planes were patrolling the no-fly zones created after the first Gulf War when they were being shot at (there has always been little skirmishes in the no-fly zones since the end of the first gulf war, so the shootings weren't anything new). Also, Iraq claimed not to recognize the zones because they were created by the Americans and Brits, and weren't enforced by UN resolutions, so the zones aren't internationally accepted by all countries. So teeechnically (a bit of a stretch), under international eyes the Iraqi's could possibly shoot at anything flying through there. It was highly highly stupid of them though, because that was simply asking for trouble at some point. However, the shootings had been going on for over a decade, and served no real threat. But like I said, it was still stupid of them, because eventually one of those planes was gonna drop a bomb (and they have between the first gulf war, and the second....the U.S and UK planes have shot down several planes, vehicles, etc in the no-fly zones).

The same goes for Iraq we did not ask for them to come over here for the 9/11 attacks.
    However, the big issue that really needs to be fixed ASAP for this debate, is that Saddam and Iraq had NO involvement in 9/11 whatsoever. The 9/11 attacks were committed solely by Al-Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden, and Saddam had absolutely no involvement. The Bush government did try to find some sort of link that they could pin on Saddam, but the closest they got was that Saddam absolutely hated Al-Qaeda and Osama. Saddam and the Baath party were a secular government, so they opposed the views of Al-Qaeda as Al-Qaeda is composed of radical fundamentalist Sunnis, so Iraq wanted nothing to do with them. There was no link between 9/11 and Iraq.

The first reason America went to war with Iraq because they said that 'Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.' They proposed this invasion to the United Nations, who didn't agree with the invasion because there was no reliable evidence to support the claims (and low and behold, there were no WMD's). The U.N and Iraq came to an agreement, and Saddam allowed the U.N to send in weapon inspectors to see that he had no weapons. This was a problem for the U.S, because they couldn't launch an invasion while U.N workers were looking at bunkers the U.S was about to bomb. Suddenly the 'WMD's' were now being hidden in moveable trucks, and buried underground where no one would find them. The U.S government banned U.N weapons inspectors from entering Iraq, and said they would do their own search. Obviously Iraq wasn't happy with that, and the U.S claimed that Iraq wasn't complying with their demands to search for weapons, so they used that to officially launch the invasion.

So, low and behold, like everyone had been saying, Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction, but to save ground the U.S tried to link Iraq to 9/11 making it seem like the invasion was justified. As with the WMD's, no link between Iraq and 9/11 was found, so now the reason for the invasion was to 'liberate the Iraqi's.' However, trying to 'liberate' the Iraqi's has now created a civil war, so even 'liberating' the Iraqi's is failing and it doesn't look like the scenario will fix itself anytime soon, which is why the military is in a rut. It can't leave, because the government will just be overthrown by radicals, which will create even more religious friction, and there will be a new dictator. But people don't want the troops to stay in Iraq because of so many losses.

Now, as for the military part, I support the troops, but when you sign up for the military, you are signing up to do what the government and military tells you to do, without questioning. If the government says 'attack this country,' you're job is to attack the country. It's not a question of whether the soldiers wanted to or not. They were told to. Therefore they did. Now, if a soldiers objects to the war, they can apply to be a conscientious objector. What that does is the military lists you down as not agreeing with the war. It doesn't mean you get out of service though. The military stations you in a non-combat unit, where you aren't fighting at the front lines. You're still working for the military, but you're no longer an offensive force, playing mostly a defensive role. It's certainly a shame that the soldiers are over there dying, but unfortunately when signing up with the military you're not supposed to question commands, only follow them. Hopefully your brothers will return home safe though.

So to conclude, the main point to reitterate is that there was no link between 9/11 and Iraq. I can't say that I agree with Flawed about lumping all those who have died in the war as wanting to assert themselves somehow. Unforunately the military deaths are simply soldiers dying for their country. They signed up to serve their country, and their country said attack Iraq. A soldier does not have much control in the military, (there's a reason why they're referred to as 'grunts'), but those who have died were not asserting themselves. They were doing their job.

I don't support the Iraq war, but I DO support the troops, and I certainly have respect for anyone who serves in the military. You can't lump the U.S government and the U.S military as being one entity, because they are not. The two are seperate entities, but the military is a tool of the government. Unfortunately if the government tells the military to invade, whether it's justified or not, the military has to invade. So the soldiers who have been killed have died for their country, and they deserve the utmost respect for doing their job.
    Last edited by Chubz; Jan 07, 2007 at 02:09 AM.

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Thanks for the memories princesslady may be famous one day princesslady may be famous one day princesslady's Avatar
    Thanks

im glad he is dead. why?, because he kille many people in iraq and showed no mercy, not even to the children. he was a cruel, and heartless dictator that need to be killed. so saddam can go to hell and burn. yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Born to rule, raised to lead, taught to establish: The African Queen

Otaku Fish Hunter 2 Champion, Ice Mania Champion, Pigeon Hunter Champion, Bear & Cat Champion exderz may be famous one day exderz may be famous one day exderz's Avatar
    Thanks

you know...when a guy is hanged its takes about 15 min of suffering. so i wonder why would the UN want to make a guy suffer and the U.S has allot to do with this. i am sure that everyone watched the video. and pretty much all of them is the U.S. doesn't any one feel like fishy? and especially if you read the newspaper. Saddam hassun said that he died for the enemy. so i think U.S has allot to do with this.

I'm all ears. Hassun has disabled reputation
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exderz View Post
    you know...when a guy is hanged its takes about 15 min of suffering. so i wonder why would the UN want to make a guy suffer and the U.S has allot to do with this. i am sure that everyone watched the video. and pretty much all of them is the U.S. doesn't any one feel like fishy? and especially if you read the newspaper. Saddam hassun said that he died for the enemy. so i think U.S has allot to do with this.
    ... I guess you don't understand how the punishment works.
    Modern capital punishment through hanging (although it is debatable how 'modern' it actually is) doesn't have anything to do with choking to death.
    The condemned breaks his neck and (usually) immediately dies.

Devoted Otaku Defend Your Castle Champion rock on may be famous one day rock on may be famous one day rock on's Avatar
    Thanks

that is true but sometimes it doenst brake the neck and he dies a slow and very painfull death. Usally the cut the rope and try again with another one.

92% of teens moved to rap. I am one of the 8% rebelions

Lost In My Own World Fishing the Sea Champion, LastTank Standing Champion Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra may be famous one day Ky-lyrra's Avatar
    Thanks

Well to tell you the truth I wish they would have had to do it a couple of times. You know he needs the torture since he did that to others.
    ™Mommy To Micah And Shawn!™

Thanks For The Amazing Tag Pyro!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast