+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

byakugan Barn Break Champion, Dino Rennen Champion, Block Buster Champion, Portal Champion, Quick Brick Champion cantsenditback is off to a good start cantsenditback's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

we could pervent the shooting if the shooter is a student who haveing a lot of stress and can try to help that student to cope with the school work and get that person to relax or try to help with others problems in life. have anyone thought that laws isnt the problems. maybe the problem is the person

Otaku Celebrity Fight Club Champion itachigirl is off to a good start
    i could tell you, but id have to kill you
    Thanks

i totally agree that we defintely need better gun control. even if the kids cant get guns there was once this story where a kids parents bought them guns just for that sole purpose: murder and massacre. this shows that we need very very strict gun restrictions for everyone. also, reaching troubled students and talking their way out of those kind of thoughts. another thing is that kids who commit school shootings and get sent to jail instead to going to sever medical conseling to help us find out why they did what they did. ive heard about this one boy whom hired a hitman to kill his mother and he isnt recieving pyschological treatment with his sentence.(even though most of the shooters commit suicide after their massacres)

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

What is it with these threads??!!!

NO we cannot prevent school shootings, just like we cannot prevent death. We want to, but we just can't. There isn't any remedy or cure. Just like there isn't any sure way we can prevent insane psychos from bringing death weapons to school.

Enhance Security?
    SURE, why not?

THEY WILL FIND A WAY AROUND IT. Just like the terrorists found a way around the airport security.

Numbers will decrease with time, and homicides will maybe cease..
    but of course, they will start up again.

I am not being pessimistic.
    I'm being a realist.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    What is it with these threads??!!!

NO we cannot prevent school shootings, just like we cannot prevent death. We want to, but we just can't. There isn't any remedy or cure. Just like there isn't any sure way we can prevent insane psychos from bringing death weapons to school.

Enhance Security?
    SURE, why not?

THEY WILL FIND A WAY AROUND IT. Just like the terrorists found a way around the airport security.

Numbers will decrease with time, and homicides will maybe cease..
    but of course, they will start up again.

I am not being pessimistic.
    I'm being a realist.
    true that we cant ever prevent school shootings completely, nor can we prevent terrorism. however decreasing numbers is much better than leaving them the same. yes, people can always get artilery of any kind, espicially with the internet. but why not make it harder? shouldnt schools TRY to decrease shootings as much as they can?
    Last edited by aceman67; Nov 24, 2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: use font colors that can ACTUALLY be read please...

Banned The White Wolf is off to a good start
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itachigirl View Post
    true that we cant ever prevent school shootings completely, nor can we prevent terrorism. however decreasing numbers is much better than leaving them the same. yes, people can always get artilery of any kind, espicially with the internet. but why not make it harder? shouldnt schools TRY to decrease shootings as much as they can?
    Uh, No?

YES. Duh. But that isn't the issue. OF COURSE schools should increase security. OF COURSE we should make it harder on the psycho bastards. But that isn't going to stop them. THUS, no we cannot prevent school shootings anymore than we can death. We can increase our lifespan by eating healthy, staying acting, not having sex with prostitutes..
    But we can't STOP death.
    Just like we can't STOP school shootings.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wolf View Post
    Uh, No?

YES. Duh. But that isn't the issue. OF COURSE schools should increase security. OF COURSE we should make it harder on the psycho bastards. But that isn't going to stop them. THUS, no we cannot prevent school shootings anymore than we can death. We can increase our lifespan by eating healthy, staying acting, not having sex with prostitutes..
    But we can't STOP death.
    Just like we can't STOP school shootings.
    im not asking to stop death im not asking to stop school shootings, im asking to try to prevent as many as we can from happeneing. if a student has serious pyschological damage, so bad that they might shoot up fellow classmates, they need to be taken out of school immediatley and placed in a facility. this can prevent shootings. MANY precautions can prevent school shootings. can we stop them completely? no. can we decrease them? yes.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Not really, but that doesn' mean that we shouldn' try, the ques is how? Some1 had mention bannin' guns altogether, but that wouldn' work. Aceman67 said that crime might go down if the U.S. did, maybe in the far distant future it would eventually work. Yet in the meantime, violent crime would skyrocket. If, when the constitution was written, Madisen didn' put that certain clause inta the it; then maybe we wouldn' b in this situation. But it's too late for shoulda, woulda, coulda now. Criminals aren' stupid, they're goin' ta perpetrate a crime against some1 that is vulnerable and the last thing they want is ta b delayed while inactin' their crime. If they r uncertain if a person is armed, then they will b less inclined ta perpetrate their crime. Also most criminals abtain their guns through illegal means and 'til we find some way of closin' those routes, we will never b able ta stop them from abtainin' them and jus' simply declarin' ownin' a gun illegal would have little impact upon the criminal activity. If anythin' it would render our citizenry vulnerable and that's exactly what criminals would want. We could try and count on the police, but even they say that by the time they would b able ta respond ta a call; it would probably b too late. It's not that our law enforcement is inefficent, it's jus' that it takes a while ta get from point A ta point B; precious minutes that could have them goin' from arrivin' ta prevent a crime ta arrivin' at a crime scene. I don' own a gun, but my dad does and it was 'cause of his guns that he was able ta prevent himself from becomin' a victim one time. I may not like guns, but I respect them and I know that they carry wit them a huge responsibility.

No I don' believe that bannin' guns is the answer, at this time, but we do need ta find a way ta make it more difficult for criminals and kids ta get their hands on them. And when u have a country that has legal gun ownership laws, u haveta expect that things like this will happen. I feel that schools should take a more aggresive appoarch ta dealin' wit kids wit problems. Instead of waitin' for them ta come ta the school officials wit their problems, the officials should b pro-active and have programs in place ta help, not only, the kids wit problems; but also teach other students how ta b more sensitive ta others and ta recognize when another student is havin' problems; so that they can alert the right ppl ta get that student help. That would have a bigger impact on this problem, I feel, than jus' simply bannin' guns.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Really, because Canada has strict gun control, and our gun related death rate is 5 to every 100,000, while the US is 15 per 100,000. Statistics shows that it works.

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    You need to find a source that:
    • covers more then one year,
    • has the same period of time for all the countries,
    • takes into account population density,
    • doesn't have a giant "this article is out of date".

Check the actual percentages for increases and decreases in each country from year to year. They go up when more gun control is introduced and decrease when the laws are relaxed.

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast