+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 17 to 24 of 32

Thread: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

  1. #17
    Leave me alone, fanboys! rematche is making a name for themselves rematche is making a name for themselves rematche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,801
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 49 Times in 46 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    it's not the gun but the person who's using the gun. even though guns can be seized but that will not stop the person who wants to kill. there are many ways to kill besides a gun.
    YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

  2. #18
    Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In the end, it doesn' really matter.
    Posts
    907
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 47 Times in 44 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Quote Originally Posted by rematche View Post
    it's not the gun but the person who's using the gun. even though guns can be seized but that will not stop the person who wants to kill. there are many ways to kill besides a gun.
    U r quite correct there rematche, it's not the weapon that kills; but the person's desire ta do so. And if there's a way, then some1 will find it. Let's say that we ban guns, then we would b hearin' 'bout murders bein' caused by ppl wieldin' knives. Let's say we ban knives, then they would probably use tools; kitchen utensils; display swords; bare hands; etc. What do we do then? Ban evrythin' and have the govt. sit on top of us? No thanks. We're supposed ta b livin' in a democracy (actually a republic), at least that's what I was raised ta believe. The solution ta the problem doesn' lie wit removin' the weapons, it lies wit removin' the intent. And 'til that part of the problem is adressed and dealt wit, we will continue ta have problems like this.

    Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

  3. #19
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    I graduated from a school that had more shootings in and around it (and the general neighborhood) than any other school in Minneapolis. While we held the highest gun related death count, other schools were considering tightening security and getting metal detectors. It wasn't until about five or six years after graduating, did my school up security and get a couple of those nifty metal detector wands. They even went as far as having "threat levels", like terrorists were shooting up my school. LOL.

    There's no way you can fully prevent a shooting at school. You'd have to be able to pinpoint the gunner right away. It's either put all the "crazy kids" in a school for students with special needs or just put metal detectors in every corridor--both are too expensive for most school districts to do. The funny thing is, THESE days, more schools in rural areas are gettin' shot up! The schools that don't take things like metal detectors in to consideration. I don't think that school shootings will ever be "controllable" until someone decides to ban guns.


  4. #20
    anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shikoku
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    You can't prevent mental illness, the desire for revenge, children from bullying one another... You can only make the circumstances less likely to align to create a disaster. We can never root out all the ills in society or remove every ounce of cruelty from people's hearts: we need that darkness to some extent.

    The notion that school shootings are somehow the fault of the schools, the students, the parents, video games, etc. is optimistic... but unfair. There may be elements of fault to pass around to all parties: after all ~ it takes perfect conditions to produce a perfect storm. But in the end: each and every one of us, no matter how old, has the ability to do wonderful or terrible things. It is our CHOICE to do good or evil that makes us human at all (from a philosophical point of view). If we want freedom, we NEED to also accept responsibility for our own individual actions.

    And unfortunately, that means accepting the idea that sometimes people will make poor decisions that cause a great deal of damage and are beyond our understanding... and that it is, for the most part, THEIR FAULT -- not the fault of video games, parenting, trauma, the stars aligning, guns, politics, the religion they believe etc.

    The best we can do is remove factors contributing to others' ability to do wrong (removing access to weapons, sending them to therapy, being nicer to "outcasts", keeping a closer eye on the internet for potential threats, regulating violent media, encouraging parents to pay more attention to their children, etc etc).

    We can never remove the seeds of alienation, mental illness, desire for revenge, jealousy, rage, etc. Those things are intrinsic. If they're in us then ultimately we need to deal with them on our own. And some people lose.

  5. #21
    Otaku LEtters Champion, PopWord Champion, Alphabet Soup Champion, Baby Destruction Champion bellocanlver is off to a good start
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    175
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    i dont think there is a way to prevent this things bcuz some kids might be crazy and ppl wont even notice it and their anger grows inside >.>

  6. #22
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    You can't prevent mental illness, the desire for revenge, children from bullying one another... You can only make the circumstances less likely to align to create a disaster. We can never root out all the ills in society or remove every ounce of cruelty from people's hearts: we need that darkness to some extent.

    The notion that school shootings are somehow the fault of the schools, the students, the parents, video games, etc. is optimistic... but unfair. There may be elements of fault to pass around to all parties: after all ~ it takes perfect conditions to produce a perfect storm. But in the end: each and every one of us, no matter how old, has the ability to do wonderful or terrible things. It is our CHOICE to do good or evil that makes us human at all (from a philosophical point of view). If we want freedom, we NEED to also accept responsibility for our own individual actions.

    And unfortunately, that means accepting the idea that sometimes people will make poor decisions that cause a great deal of damage and are beyond our understanding... and that it is, for the most part, THEIR FAULT -- not the fault of video games, parenting, trauma, the stars aligning, guns, politics, the religion they believe etc.

    The best we can do is remove factors contributing to others' ability to do wrong (removing access to weapons, sending them to therapy, being nicer to "outcasts", keeping a closer eye on the internet for potential threats, regulating violent media, encouraging parents to pay more attention to their children, etc etc).

    We can never remove the seeds of alienation, mental illness, desire for revenge, jealousy, rage, etc. Those things are intrinsic. If they're in us then ultimately we need to deal with them on our own. And some people lose.
    So very true.

    As humans, we are not infallable, which means that we're bound to slip up, make mistakes, do wrong deeds and such. Which is why I said earlier there's no point in trying to prevent a school shooting. At most, you can probably decrease the number of incidents, but never prevent more from happening. There's always a loop-hole in the system, there will always be people with the desire for revenge, there will always be a group of outcasts who dislike the "mainstream", there will always be bullies and there will always be the bullied.

    Without evil, there is no good and vice versa. The whole yin and yang thing. Like Tsurara said, we kinda need that darkness if we are ever to see the light. Yet, actions can be taken instead of pointing the perverbial finger at other people and video games/media and such. Until more people try to make this world a better place, there's no point in trying to prevent something that is inevitable.


  7. #23
    Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    you really do not want to know
    Posts
    525
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Before I moved to Boston, I used to live in Philadelphia which is currently the murder capital of the country
    We would have shootings next to our high school almost every day.....but never in our school
    Our security was tight and they took it very seriously...............it was not a joke!!!
    So I definitely think that there is a way to prevent school shootings.
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

  8. #24
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Before I moved to Boston, I used to live in Philadelphia which is currently the murder capital of the country
    We would have shootings next to our high school almost every day.....but never in our school
    Our security was tight and they took it very seriously...............it was not a joke!!!
    So I definitely think that there is a way to prevent school shootings.
    Security is just a word to make people feel safe. There's no physical security, only mental. If security made sure that violent acts were prevented, then don't ya think that there'd be less school shootings? Don't you think that 9/11 could've been prevented? Hell, homeowners with security systems still get robbed!!

    Security is nothing more than an invisible blanket, made to make the insecure feel protected.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No school
    By Ichigokarate in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Nov 27, 2007, 07:58 PM
  2. School
    By yasha215 in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Oct 24, 2007, 08:41 AM
  3. shootings in montreal
    By Aiora in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Sep 20, 2006, 06:44 AM
  4. school
    By pendragon in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Aug 17, 2006, 08:14 AM
  5. The Legs That Prevent a Future.
    By Shade/K' Heart in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 19, 2005, 03:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts