+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 25 to 32 of 32

Thread: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

  1. #25
    Chtonian Slayer Astaroth may be famous one day Astaroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    you really do not want to know
    Posts
    525
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 49 Times in 47 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    I can see your point there.........but whenever I would step into my school, i would not worry because I KNEW that i was safe. The security in my school found three guns during my senior year and that spoke a lot to me. Security-- the word may seem like an invisible blanket........but to me it was real and i respect the officers that put their lives on risk every day to protect me and the other students
    DO NOT MAKE ME UNLEASH MY INNER DEMON

  2. #26
    Otaku Zeikku Shadow is off to a good start Zeikku Shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where the frozen tears from the heavens paint everything white.
    Posts
    364
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    I don't know, I'll think more on this,a and come back again.

    This sort of thing cut kinda close to home for me today.

    My brother is going to school, and studying to become a Crime Scene Investigator (C.S.I.). When you are doing this you do a stint through the Police Academy. Before he can do that he has to work as in some form of security. He explained why before, but I don't remember the reason. So he is working security at the University of Florida.

    I was passing a room (at work) today, and they had a Tv on, and I caught the words... "and a security officer was shot and killed on scene"...

    Imagine my shock as the words filtered in. I raced back, and asked where the guard was killed. Of course not a single person had been paying attention! Was it at the University? I screamed. Everyone looked stunned. I raced to my office, so I could call home. All that kept racing through my mind was, all the school shootings; and he just got married! I have never been so relieved as I was the moment I got a call back, saying he was fine, it wasn't there.

  3. #27
    Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,643
    Thanks
    235
    Thanked 166 Times in 141 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I can see your point there.........but whenever I would step into my school, i would not worry because I KNEW that i was safe. The security in my school found three guns during my senior year and that spoke a lot to me. Security-- the word may seem like an invisible blanket........but to me it was real and i respect the officers that put their lives on risk every day to protect me and the other students
    Oh, so you had police officers at your school? Lucky, lucky you! LOL. I think that's the only way that kids will stop shooting up schools. If schools were heavily monitored by actual cops, then there's be little to no shootings. But no city/state's legislature is gonna let that kind of spending go down in schools. Too much money. So we get shafted and stuck with the "invisible blanket".


  4. #28
    anti-semantics Pub Quiz Champion tsurara may be famous one day tsurara may be famous one day tsurara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Shikoku
    Posts
    1,308
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 84 Times in 55 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Oh, so you had police officers at your school? Lucky, lucky you! LOL. I think that's the only way that kids will stop shooting up schools.
    Little known fact: There were hundreds of police officers at the scene at Columbine BEFORE the killings in the library and classrooms began. They did nothing at all but surround the building and wait for students to come out. They did not enter the building, they did not confront the killers and they did not save ANY lives.

    So much for police presence preventing tragedy.

  5. #29
    Otaku Celebrity Fight Club Champion itachigirl is off to a good start
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    i could tell you, but id have to kill you
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Quote Originally Posted by tsurara View Post
    Little known fact: There were hundreds of police officers at the scene at Columbine BEFORE the killings in the library and classrooms began. They did nothing at all but surround the building and wait for students to come out. They did not enter the building, they did not confront the killers and they did not save ANY lives.

    So much for police presence preventing tragedy.
    wait, i heard the 911 calls. there was a woman CALLING 911 and during the phone calls there were clear gun shots in the hall and library and then 911 said they would send someone then, however the woman calling had already been shot in the library.
    0/-\0??

  6. #30
    My Entity Is Unknown anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god is making a name for themselves anime_being_god's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    near you
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Quote Originally Posted by itachigirl View Post
    there have been so many school shootings in the last decade and a half and i was wondering if you think some were preventable. i think SOME we might have been able to prevent by conseling the troubled students and finding out what would motivate them to slaughter fellow classmates brutally. However, i think now it's getting harder and harder to find the real troubled kids. with to emo fad on the rise isnt it harder to find kids that may REALLY have mental illness(bipolar, schizophrenia, and other harmful diseses that may spout violent actions) and abusive situations at home that might contribute to their behaviour?
    PREVENT BULLYING AND TEASING:
    we need to realize that exclusion, teasing, and bullying, causes real emotional scars, and not just pass them off as things that kids do. There should be a confidential system that can report these abuses.

    Result from interview with a unnamed shooter: adults should pay attention and talk with their students and children. He killed because people like him are mistreated every day. I don't want to give more examples - due to not wanting to sensationalize the issue.


    Parents who listen and who encourage their children to open up and share concerns
    Parents who discipline their kids and train them right
    Teachers who listen (and intervene when parents won't)
    School board who takes threats seriously
    Curriculum and classroom management that effectively curtails people being left out, bullied, and teased
    Parents who know what is in their kids' rooms and in their journals. Poetry from school shooters is often full of violence and despair.
    Teach students and children to report it to the proper adult if threats of violence or suicide are mentioned by other kids or classmates.
    School administrators need to take bullying seriously
    Reduce barriers to students to relate what they know

    1st Sig finished 12-20-09

  7. #31
    Newbie JapaneseNeji is off to a good start JapaneseNeji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Quote Originally Posted by itachigirl View Post
    there have been so many school shootings in the last decade and a half and i was wondering if you think some were preventable. i think SOME we might have been able to prevent by conseling the troubled students and finding out what would motivate them to slaughter fellow classmates brutally. However, i think now it's getting harder and harder to find the real troubled kids. with to emo fad on the rise isnt it harder to find kids that may REALLY have mental illness(bipolar, schizophrenia, and other harmful diseses that may spout violent actions) and abusive situations at home that might contribute to their behaviour?
    I think Some are Preventable. Notice that i used the word SOME!! I say that is because if some shootings happen and you know the person who did it and they may have problems with something in their lives or have a disablity to do something like schools shootings. Then things may get outta hand. But, then again they may have something youm dont know about them that they dont feel comfortable telling you or feel they dont have to tell you. There are alot of ways that trigger people to set off like that so many people may not know what may be wrong with a person who does such things.


    Hola Amigos,
    Me Llamo Neji Brieey

  8. #32
    Otaku Celebrity Fight Club Champion itachigirl is off to a good start
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    i could tell you, but id have to kill you
    Posts
    240
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: School shootings: Can we Prevent them?

    Quote Originally Posted by anime_being_god View Post
    PREVENT BULLYING AND TEASING:
    we need to realize that exclusion, teasing, and bullying, causes real emotional scars, and not just pass them off as things that kids do. There should be a confidential system that can report these abuses.

    Result from interview with a unnamed shooter: adults should pay attention and talk with their students and children. He killed because people like him are mistreated every day. I don't want to give more examples - due to not wanting to sensationalize the issue.


    Parents who listen and who encourage their children to open up and share concerns
    Parents who discipline their kids and train them right
    Teachers who listen (and intervene when parents won't)
    School board who takes threats seriously
    Curriculum and classroom management that effectively curtails people being left out, bullied, and teased
    Parents who know what is in their kids' rooms and in their journals. Poetry from school shooters is often full of violence and despair.
    Teach students and children to report it to the proper adult if threats of violence or suicide are mentioned by other kids or classmates.
    School administrators need to take bullying seriously
    Reduce barriers to students to relate what they know

    i completely agree with you.
    i hate the ordeal with the cliques and different groups in school.
    rumours used to disgust me so much it was unreal. so many people get hurt and judged for no reason.im so glad im done with the whole mess they call high school.
    FACT:
    Teasing, name calling, excluding, and some SMALL things kids dont think about is bullying.
    FACT:
    statistics show that 2 out of 3 teens say they feel either bullied, alone, or excluded
    FACT:
    the anxiety caused by these factors often raise anger, depression, and rage.
    FACT:
    the diary exerpts from Columbine show that the shooters felt angry and vengeneful at fellow students for being repeatingly bullied, teased, excluded, etc.etc
    FACT: Over 100 students have been killed in school shootings..

    connect it all..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Similar Threads

  1. No school
    By Ichigokarate in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Nov 27, 2007, 07:58 PM
  2. School
    By yasha215 in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Oct 24, 2007, 08:41 AM
  3. shootings in montreal
    By Aiora in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Sep 20, 2006, 06:44 AM
  4. school
    By pendragon in forum Cyber Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Aug 17, 2006, 08:14 AM
  5. The Legs That Prevent a Future.
    By Shade/K' Heart in forum The Thread Vault
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 19, 2005, 03:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts