Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Schools Blocking Websites?

Newbie SailorGoddess may be famous one day SailorGoddess may be famous one day SailorGoddess's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Schools Blocking Websites?

Nope, they never blocked it but I never went on much, only once in a blue moon to check my email because I didn't have internet at home.

Banned SilentAssasin may be famous one day
    Thanks

Well, ever year at my school, they block more and more sites. People find ways around it and end up getting in trouble.

Trance Addict jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927 may be famous one day jaam0927's Avatar
    Thanks

yep in my school pretty much everything is blocked.... any mail site... search engines... google is available but the image option is blocked... any games site... XXX sites... and sites like myspace and hi5
    I know my way around to open the sites... but it isnt that easy...
    I mean u supposely go to school to learn.... not to check out ur mail... or go to myspace.... and other sites that arent related to ur class... plus is the schools property and ur using it for free... so I guess they have all the right to block what ever they want dont u think?
    Thank you SasuraiHell for making my sig. ur the best.
    "I came, I saw, I conquered" - Julious Cesar

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah, the schools pretty much have every right to do whatever they want with the computers. When I was in school some sites were blocked around my senior year. I can understand wanting to chill in the computer lab or library during a lunch, but school computers aren't supposed to be used for entertainment. Maintaining enough bandwidth in a district to support several hundred (or more) computers all connected to the internet is costly, and it's supported by tax payer dollars. One can argue that the only right and moral thing to do would be to restrict a great many sites from being accessed by students.

After all, there are books to read in the library or work to be done if you've got free time. If you figure out a way to get around the proxy software that the school uses, then you do deserve to have your access privilages taken away. I refuse to believe that this will result in an F in any class. The majority of people have computers and internet access these days, and if you don't, you have public libraries that provide, friends' houses, etc.

Otaku Chubz may be famous one day Chubz may be famous one day Chubz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SailorGoddess View Post
    I graduated in 2002.
    W00t! Go class of 2002.

Anyhoo...on topic:

Yes, I think the schools have the right to block sites. School is for learning, messing around on the internet is for your own free time at home.

My high school didn't block any sites on the web, so we were free to peruse anything we wanted to. Our tech lab was known as the 'black hole' because the tech students would just go in their and mess around on the computers for the entire term and get no work done.....

The only thing the school did try and stop was messengers. The windows operating system we had on the computers included a little messenger, but you could only use it if you knew how to activate it (you had to go into DOS and stuff so that it would appear on the computer). After that, you just had to punch in a station number, type a message and it would be sent over........We had sooooo much fun with that......And then the teachers went nuts and the school had the entire program deleted off the system.

But yeah...in short, schools have the right to block sites. It's school.....it sucks.....what do you expect?

Many Thanks To SasuraiHell For The Sig!

Otaku Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135 may be famous one day Lil_G135's Avatar
    Thanks

This past year was when they put their foot down and blocked all those places I mentioned before. The year before it was really just playboy, KKK, weapons, and eventually xanga (before myspace was huge ^^0). Although some places I wish they hadn't blocked, I can understand why they've done so. People just got crazy @_@...

The email issue was the biggest uproar. The county's defence to it was that they've invested in using Blackboard, a website where when students log in they have all their classes they're enrolled in up there, an announcement board where the teachers most recent updates are posted, a forum under each teacher, and place to view grades (depending on your teacher) and under the Library tab, a digital dropbox where you can upload practically anything from any computer, just as long as you're logged in into an account. And then you can equally upload the things just as easy from anywhere.

With this handy little feature the county figured that people would stop using email -- but they hadn't, so a lot of schools eventually had banned the leading email sites.

The students and some teachers' side was that if the teachers and administrators are allowed to use email - why can't the students? A quote from the article I meantioned before, "...There are times when I need to email a paper or Web site to myself, or access an email that had useful information.... Checking e-mail during school hours won't cause our grades to drop, and if it does then it is something we are responsible for."

As for me, I am not an avid email user, so it didn't really effect me. For school, I did use the blackboard thing -- it was fast, was a nice place to put a backup copy of your homework, and it's uptime was good (and when it's down, teachers pretty much accept the excuse for not having the work ). Also, the fact that the minute you log in into any kind of account, the school has all your information and the ability to go in and check things out if they wanted has also kept me away from logging into anything ^^;

With the blogsites, I can understand the deal with blocking the ability to log into them (a girl in my computer graphics class almost failed because all she did was go on xanga), but I kind of wish it was possible to view them. With me I could check how my xang looked from a bigger moniter than the one I own, and see if the effects I added would work anywhere besides my computer, etc. But I know the year before people went buckwild with those blogs, so... no chance ^^;;

The list from my other post is just school-wide blocks and most were put there because of the hype. Any teacher who teached with computers have the ability to block certain websites or the entire internet as well for their class. (youtube was eventually blocked to our entire class early March ^^0)

However, in the article, one of the Tech people did confirm that they "don't care if you're doing a crossword or sudoku", or something small - but in general wanted you to be working, and if they saw on your records that all you do is play games they would kindly remind you to get back on track either face to face or through Synchroneyes - the software that blocked sites and gave the ability to give the head computers control of student computers as well as send personal messages to some ^.^;

All in all, even though the censoring was a bit annoying at times, the county was the ones who own the computers and such, so they did have the right to set up some rules.
    Music is my santuary, music is my blanket
    三日坊主*傍目八目*外柔内剛

AO's Demon Slayer Hexxagon Champion, Match Stick Soccer Champion Blade X may be famous one day Blade X may be famous one day Blade X's Avatar
    Thanks

well my school as far as i know blocked off the web messenger n all game sites

well for schools, they need to make sure tht their students are doing work n using the right sites for their works. Plus banning inappoirate sites as well

Thanks for the siggy Ky-lyrra

Otaku tupacs_wifey may be famous one day tupacs_wifey may be famous one day tupacs_wifey's Avatar
    Thanks

at our school all i have have to wait to do is certain teachers go out of the room and i can cut the whole school blocks off from there computers

HolderOfThe
    DarkChalice's LiL sis

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast