Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Science?

Banned beast may be famous one day beast may be famous one day beast's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Science?

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble...

Now there is a difference between what 'Science' is, and what people think 'Science' is...

Actually, the current hypothesis of the 'Big Bang' that is growing in popularity in the Scientific community, is that the event could be the effect of 'Branes' (think as multiple parallel dimensions) colliding and interacting with each other. This is side effect of the very exotic 'String Theory' model, and even if its elegant, it may in the long term be impossible to prove or disprove...
    Thank you for the explanation of the String Theory. I had heard of it but did not understand it until now.

You were correct about people confusing science and what science actually is. The teachers in high school would say thing like we are going to do an "experiment." We never did experiments, we did demonstrations. The stuff we did had always been done thousands of times before. Call it practise or demonstration or anything else but they were not experiments. And these were teachers who didn't know the difference.

Otaku Dragons2801 is off to a good start Dragons2801's Avatar
    in a place beyond the reaches of time, gripped with sorow, pain driving everything to insanity.
    Thanks

Science is a bunch of theries that even at the most miniscule points cannot be proven or dispruven. The ways refer to "god" is that he is the supream being however if we were to say in the concervation of mass law, matter can not be created or destroyed. so thus in a scientists eyes god dont exist however they are just theries there are many gaps within the "laws". for instance if matter cannot be created or distroyed then how is there matter it must have come from some where.
    Science is just a way for humans to fit in, and try to make understandings of everything they see, hear, touch, taste, smell, however most scientists dont believe in "alliens" they want to believe that they are in the center of everything. and they warp the "ideas" around theese thoughts.

within the darkened realm of the mind, is endless shadows, wrenching pain, warming love, and burning desires.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragons2801 View Post
    Science is a bunch of theries that even at the most miniscule points cannot be proven or dispruven....
    Then are you saying that you can't prove that 'electricity' exists? If this was the case, then how are you making this post???
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

I wouldn't say scientists flat out don't believe in aliens, Dragon. but is it ridiculous to say that conditions required to support life similar to ours is rare? The problem is that we can definitely see that there's life on other planets, but finding a species similar to ours (what we'd call 'intelligent life') has proven to be next to impossible with our technology right now. Plus with time being relative, if we somehow found evidence of a civilization, it would be a picture of them so long ago it almost wouldn't make a difference.

and you say scientists think everything is centered around us? ha! Scientists are the ones that like to point out that on the grand scale of the universe, we are little more than a fraction of a pixel alive for mere moments for a purpose none of us can quite come up with. It's people of religion that say we're made in "God's image" how more egocentric is that statement in comparison? That's not to say scientists aren't arrogant in their own ways, but you see my point.

I fail to see why so many people think of science as so inconclusive, when you could just as easily become part of the study to understand how everything in our universe works. You can believe in God and study science, if anything you're working towards seeing if your view of the universe is correct or not. Will we find it in this generation? Doubtful, but we can fit in our pieces to the puzzle at least.

in a place beyond the reaches of time, gripped with sorow, pain driving everything to insanity.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark. View Post
    I wouldn't say scientists flat out don't believe in aliens, Dragon. but is it ridiculous to say that conditions required to support life similar to ours is rare? The problem is that we can definitely see that there's life on other planets, but finding a species similar to ours (what we'd call 'intelligent life') has proven to be next to impossible with our technology right now. Plus with time being relative, if we somehow found evidence of a civilization, it would be a picture of them so long ago it almost wouldn't make a difference.

and you say scientists think everything is centered around us? ha! Scientists are the ones that like to point out that on the grand scale of the universe, we are little more than a fraction of a pixel alive for mere moments for a purpose none of us can quite come up with. It's people of religion that say we're made in "God's image" how more egocentric is that statement in comparison? That's not to say scientists aren't arrogant in their own ways, but you see my point.

I fail to see why so many people think of science as so inconclusive, when you could just as easily become part of the study to understand how everything in our universe works. You can believe in God and study science, if anything you're working towards seeing if your view of the universe is correct or not. Will we find it in this generation? Doubtful, but we can fit in our pieces to the puzzle at least.

I understand where you come from we have proven many things. dont get me wrong. I agree with you in the saying that religion and scientists are both arrogant. im not saying science is inconclusive, I simply am saying that we need to work and improve on what we have and then expand on the ideas. but like they say you cannot learn unless you plunge into the vast ocean. say dark. you seem to know a lot about your sciences are you a scientist?

lenmiyata, science has not proven that the electron exists we can not capture it. we can only see that it is there threw formulas. you can not calculate the position and velocity. however we use electricity and can control it. can you explain why?

within the darkened realm of the mind, is endless shadows, wrenching pain, warming love, and burning desires.

Strange Times Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark. is making a name for themselves Dark.'s Avatar
    Thanks

I am a college student studying computer science, so while I'm not yet a professional, yes, you could consider me a scientist. However, I'd like to point out something my first biology teacher told us back in 7th grade. If you've ever thought of something critically, trying to predict something before it happened based off previous experience, and then seeing if it works for you, you are a scientist. Granted it's not the on the same level of rigor as what many people consider 'true' science, it is still science if we stick to our basic definition of the term. So if we look at this way, you see why I have a problem with people who would think it's a 'religion'. Science is a tool, a way of thinking that's intent is to understand so that ultimately we can improve society and better humanity. I guess when you look at it that way, it's mission, I agree, isn't so different from some religions perhaps. It is however, important to make the distinction between the two.

umm, also we definitely know electrons exist. we know the mass of it for god's sakes.

Thanks

i agree it is not a religion. but i was saying that we do know electricity exists but are at many standstills such as actualy attaining actual speed and the position if the electron. they say it is physicly impossable but if we were some how able to slow it down which i know is farfetched but if we were able to then this will open many possabilities that one could only dream of.

Grouchy Old Anime Otaku LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata has become well known LenMiyata's Avatar
    Thanks

Grumble Grumble Grumble
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragons2801 View Post
    ... lenmiyata, science has not proven that the electron exists we can not capture it. we can only see that it is there threw formulas. you can not calculate the position and velocity. however we use electricity and can control it. can you explain why?
    For all intents and purposes, the existence of the electron has been proven through indirect observation, with significant properties such as mass and charge well established. The fact that you can't calculate its real time position and velocity happens to be a tenet of 'Quantum Mechanics' which states that the very act of observation of particles will have an effect on its behavior. (Like the only way to 'observe' a cat is by poking it with a stick...) So on that very small scale of size, only statistical measurements are valid. (Which brings up the concept of a cat in a sealed box that is both alive and dead... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schroedinger_cat )
    FAVOURITE THREADS EXPLAIN why, or risk an infraction.
    Rantings of a Grouchy Old Anime Otaku

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast