+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: self injury glamour

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: self injury glamour

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

At the same time, how many people want to see a fiery pileup wreak at a automobile race? Or waiting for the QB to get creamed at a football game?? Or remember the infamous 'Agony of Defeat' shot on the old ABC Wide World of Sports intro??? Or the crowds who want to cheer a suicide jumper to take that last leap??? Lets face it, the general public at large has a fascination with death and injury. The large number of teenage slasher movies, and other ultra-violent/horror genre produced leads credence to this claim... Self injury, and even Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy are simple extensions of this...
    This goes beyond public fascination.... When disasters occur, and you watch because you're too excited to turn away. Thats different from their being an entire fad based apon something that is an illness.

I think I am more frustrated that its viewed as "cool".... like the more tragic you are the better.

Like, If somone were to cut themselves in front of me... I might watch them (fascinated)... but If they then turn around and brag about it... thats different (stupidity).

Quote Originally Posted by chaosbreaker View Post
    Ok I'm just gonna point this out plain and clear. Not all emo's cut! The word emo, derived from the word emotional, means that you have mixed emotions, and sometimes sudden outbursts of emotions.
    The word "emo" is NOT a word.... its a trend!
    How is being emotional trendy? Its a personality trait... yet "emo" is a music genre, a clothing style, an additude.... Or so it seems.

Why is it cool to be depressed, to hurt, to struggle?

And, I understand WHY people cut... but it is psychologically unhealthy, and should not be glamorized!
    ... Not Ever Again...

Newbie Ransaeo may be famous one day Ransaeo may be famous one day Ransaeo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LenMiyata View Post
    Grumble Grumble Grumble

At the same time, how many people want to see a fiery pileup wreak at a automobile race? Or waiting for the QB to get creamed at a football game?? Or remember the infamous 'Agony of Defeat' shot on the old ABC Wide World of Sports intro??? Or the crowds who want to cheer a suicide jumper to take that last leap??? Lets face it, the general public at large has a fascination with death and injury. The large number of teenage slasher movies, and other ultra-violent/horror genre produced leads credence to this claim... Self injury, and even Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy are simple extensions of this...
    This is true, we as human beings are obsessed with death and destruction. It's like the news. All they ever report about is who died today, what car accidents happened or what dangerous kidnapper/murderer on the loose. People find that all these things make life more interesting and fun I guess.

And for the 'emo' thing, I did a previous post a while back on what emo is. If you really want to know, read a book called 'Nothing Feels Good'.
    But the 'cutting' extent of it, I feel that the kids these days that consider themselves emo are taking it way to far. I do think that if someone starts doing that, then yes, they need some help. And for the kids that do and brag about it, you can honestly tell that they are in desperate need for attention and the only way for them to get it is to show 'how bad they are hurting'. If I offend someone, I'm just speaking about what I know from my past friends that were 'so depressed' that they had to resort to this. And in the end, it was because they were in need of attention. They wanted to be noticed.
    Tastes like sugar. Looks like sugar. But it's not sugar.

Àddïctëd tø |ăüghïñg :) Sonny Sunshine Champion, Volcano Champion, Aquarium Sprengischen Champion, Spiderman Web of Words Champion, Look Alive Champion iluvmyloser is off to a good start iluvmyloser's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ransaeo View Post
    And for the 'emo' thing, I did a previous post a while back on what emo is. If you really want to know, read a book called 'Nothing Feels Good'.
    Nah, not interested in really knowing, since I wont become one..even if I don't clearly understand what it means. As peach said, it's a trend. Some kids in fact do it to "fit in" with other kids. They might think that just maybe if they do this it will grab people's attention....Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Ransaeo View Post
    And for the kids that do and brag about it, you can honestly tell that they are in desperate need for attention and the only way for them to get it is to show 'how bad they are hurting'.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My friend showed me her cuts once she did with a sharp lid from a soda can. I couldn't believe she has done self-mutilation. At that point I was frustrated, grabbed the lid and threw it away She got mad at me but I didn't care. She asked why and I explained to her since her parents come home at a certain time when she gets home from school, apparently she needs attention. I told her to stop doing it and if she did not quit I would not be her friend and I would tell her parents. She stopped...I don't know why but she did ^^.
    Yeah, Bye.

Learn, live, laugh, GROW 5 Card Draw Champion, Bubble Trouble Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Long Jump Champion, Collapse Champion, BALLZ! Champion, Rotamania Champion, Rotations Champion, Hishi Champion, Domino Pressure Champion, Fun_game1 Champion, Road Blocks Champion, Puzzle Maniax Champion, Cloud Breakout Champion lebasiara may be famous one day lebasiara's Avatar
    Thanks

Since when cutting oneself or injurying oneself has been pretty? anyways as many of you have said: it is just a cheap way to get attention. On the other hand as Len states people has this weird fascination towards dead and seeing others get injured... if not none of the sports and shows mentioned by Len would be famous.
    Also I have to add it is a very very coward way to run away from the problems. People that commit suicide or try to are just people who don't know how to face their problems. They are the typical people who's life has to be as easy as cake or they will just kill themselves to run away from it...
    Nothing less from Pyro ^_^ Great Sig ^_^ THANK YOU!!!!
    C:\Documents and Settings\MARA\My Documents\My Pictures\Anime room\sigs\music_sig1 mia ^_^.jpg
    "show me.... THE BEAST!!!" The Beauty and the Beast movie

Otaku Aleister Sithis is off to a good start Aleister Sithis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkened_Star View Post
    [COLOR="Cyan"]When your so use to pain no matter what, physical and especially mental, how would you be. You telling me you'd be fine? And your saying you wouldn't need help?.
    I'm very used to pain, Look at me, I'm perfectly normal. Plus I also have that ability to literally not care about anything.

[COLOR="Cyan"]No, I'm not telling you this to feel sorry for me, or to be criticize. I say this because, humans go through stuff like that and worse. I'm just trying to give you a picture of why. Not to mention to say, that they will need help.
    I view humanity as virtually helpless, also I do have the picture why, I still just view it as idiotic. Ignorant, perhaps. (I would insert a misanthropic sentence here, but I give out enough of those)

Ever heard of when a person gets hurt on one part of the body, they divert the pain away from it by hurting somewhere else away from it.
    That always amuses me.

That's what I did. That's why "cutters" think it helps. But like I said, you'll never understand especially if you don't even really want too.
    Of course not. I don't see it was worth the time to understand it. For me, it's just watch, be amused, be a critic, then have people respond to your thoughts, then respond back. Just that whole circle of fun =D

EDIT: Just for the record. The little "emo" kids like that, that do it for attention, are pains. Sometimes they are doing it just because of that, they want attention. For those little annoy people, they need to grow up. Everyone would be cutting over spilt milk if they wanted attention like that. But again not all "emo" people are like that either. Well at least a few... And know, I will never call myself emo. I'm emotional, not emo.

AGREED.
    Kudos for saying that Emo doesn't stand for emotional. That makes me want to give all those E-hearts, BUT that's just not the type of person I am, now is it?

"And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
    Shall be lifted — nevermore!"

Newbie metalmaster32 is off to a good start metalmaster32's Avatar
    Thanks

The whole "emo" movement is really a joke. It's kids (mostly teenagers) who are trying to say that they are different from others and nobody understands them. They are trying to show their true selves or crap like that. I have always heard the word "conformist" used with these people.

These emos are thrown into a false sense of individualism when there are many people just like them who think they are misunderstood. Hence these non-conformists are just conformists of the non-conformists. As for self mutilation, this is completely stupid. How could it possibly help release stress? Maybe the pain, but still doesn't that hurt? Pick up a guitar, a book, a sport, or something more useful than a razor blade to take out your aggression and stress. Why get people to feel sorry for when you can try to get people to look at you in a different and more positive light?

Otaku Inuruto is off to a good start Inuruto's Avatar
    Thanks

People often criticize & get mad at the people who cause harm to themselves like they actually know what that person is thinking or going through... Not everyone who cuts themselves do it for attention... Most of them can care less if anyone pays attention... They try to keep it inconspicuous as much as possible to keep people out of their business... Have you ever just walked up to a person you thought was cutting themselves & asked them do they..? Most likely they will deny the matter & the ones that do admit it actually wants help, but don't know how to stop on their own...

I don't like self mutilation like the next, but I am not going to sit here & down grade & insult the people that did/does... My things is you can say/tell how you don't care/like the act of bodily harm, but tell or say what you would do to prevent/stop/help someone who is causing harm to their body...

And people wonder why the world is the way it is... No one cares any more unless it is beneficial or effects them...

If I knew someone who cause harm to themselves... I would let them know that I am there for them & I am not going anywhere anytime soon, but I won't push the issue to hard cause it can make them hostile... I would try to find out what makes them happy/ what their interest is besides cutting... Try to talk to them & have a regular conversation, so eventually we can get to the root of problem... Time heals all emotional scars, but how much is the real question, so just being a good friend is all you can do in the mean time... They just need someone they can trust... If all else fails I guess I would bring in professionals...

The heart can't lie... Truth is... I love you!!!

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Well as I said earlier, I AM NOT AGAINST CUTTERS. Truth be told, I have hurt myself and even let others hurt me before to try to rid myself of emotional pain. With that said I belive self injury to be overall ineffective as a stress reliever in the long run.

My issue, is the popularity of it all.

I dont understand why someone would cut themselves.... and then post a poem or blog about it on the net. (Write about what made you want to cut... not about cutting). Why would someone write a song about it. I dont understand why there are myspace layouts with images of razors. If a person needs or wants help, they need to get that help PROFESSIONALLY. Where it can be effective and kept in confidence. A persons blog subscriber, or a band members audience, even a persons BEST FRIEND.. can only help so much.

I sincerely think PHD's and licences are given to doctors for a reason. Somethings are complex (esspecially matters concerning the psyche). People who have studied how to treat theses issues are the best ones to help. If I knew a friend of mine was cutting themselves.... Sure I'd ask what I could do. But I'd also recomend they see a doctor. Because what if they don't take your advice? Or you do what they tell you they need to feel better and it doesn't stop? What if, by you being such a good friend, they start to feel you accept their behavior... and it increases?!

I would feel like my friend was asking me to deliver their child. It just sounds like a bad idea.

Don't get me wrong... I do realize sometimes doctors only make things worse... But at the same time... So can well intentioned friends. At least if seeing a doctor doesn't work... theres no strain to a personal relationship.
    ... Not Ever Again...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast