+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: self injury glamour

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: self injury glamour

I have a friend who had a terrible thing happen to her in her past and her current life is pretty bad and she cuts/burns her self and I tell her to stop and she says she will and that talking to me relieves the pain some times.
    I hate it, and if you think that your life is bad, think about the other people out there, sure some people really do have it bad and they can't handle it, but if you need help seek it out don't just inflict self injury.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SamuraiDude128 For This Useful Post:

Darkened_Star (Jul 14, 2008)

Femmebot Rehab Colt Crouse Champion, Bookworm Champion, Hangman Champion, Connect 2 Champion Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows has become well known Peach_follows's Avatar
    Thanks

Exactly Samurai Dude...

I bet after a while of being a "good friend" you may start to feel resentment. Being a friend to someone with a self destructive habbit would have to be difficult. Hats off to people like you for being as supportive you could to someone who doesn't know who to support themselves. I hope your friend gets help for their problems.
    ... Not Ever Again...

Angsty Goth Teenager SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128 may be famous one day SamuraiDude128's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks, I try to steer friends away from that (only 2 really) aside from the girl, one of my friends has issues with life and he claims his life sucks, I don't see what goes on behind closed doors, but normally he tells me. When he thinks suicidal I get angry and tell him that he shouldn't.

Otaku Just Pitching Champion, Mile High Club Champion, Penguin Dive Champion, Gold Strike Champion Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star may be famous one day Darkened_Star's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aleister Sithis View Post
    I'm very used to pain, Look at me, I'm perfectly normal. Plus I also have that ability to literally not care about anything.

I view humanity as virtually helpless, also I do have the picture why, I still just view it as idiotic. Ignorant, perhaps. (I would insert a misanthropic sentence here, but I give out enough of those)

Of course not. I don't see it was worth the time to understand it. For me, it's just watch, be amused, be a critic, then have people respond to your thoughts, then respond back. Just that whole circle of fun =D
    People that don't care, can stand so much pain, and could care less about life and humanity... Yeah, that's perfectly normal to you. Just shows me how people think anymore.

Cutting, breaking bones, banging one's head into the wall, bitting, scratching, and many other forms of harm to the body are very stupid. I never said I agree to it. I may have done it, but I'm not going to suggest someone else to start doing it to solve their problems.

Come dance in the rain with me, no one is watching.

Otaku BrokenLover101 is off to a good start BrokenLover101's Avatar
    Somewhere where only simplicity can take me
    Thanks

Well I being one of the ones you just stated as having a mental illness..

My point of view? I don't/didn't do it because i thought it was cute. I do it when I get really depressed and it's my way of releasing the pain I have. Yes I probably have a mental illness but you don't go through my life without getting some sort of damage. I was lucky and got emotional and mental. I don't think it's right that people are doing it because they think it's cool or "what's in". I'm sorry but it's not something that should be blown off like that. It is a very serious thing and I don't like what people have turned it into. When I first cut my arms it was looked down upon and things like that, you were sent to conseling and things like that so you hid them, now people walk around showing people. It isn't right and it needs to stop.
    X.x.X The only thing I'll ever want... X.x.X

X.x.X Is for you to love me the way I love you.. X.x.X

Otaku erosennin may be famous one day erosennin may be famous one day erosennin's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never met anyone that cut for attention, honestly. Cutting is completely counter to most people's sense of self preservation, and rightfully so, most people I've talked to about it in person literally cringe at the thought of dragging a razor or knife across their skin.

Most people that cut do it in places you can't see, like their legs, thighs, and upper arms. You'd never even know they're cutters if they didn't tell you, which most don't face to face.

Cutting is severe a trauma reaction. What starts out as a reenactment of past abuse becomes an endorphin addiction as deep cuts release your body's natural pain killers. This is why cutters feel better after cutting themselves.

I don't read the poetry section here or on any other site, so maybe I'm missing the glamor part of cutting. I don't see it portrayed as anything but negative anywhere. No songs about cutting on the radio, no shows on TV where cutters are 'the cool kids'. The only time I've seen cutting displayed in a movie was when Agent Smith takes human form in the third Matrix, and cuts his palm with a large knife in Zion. Agent Smith, the antagonist and antithesis to Neo.

I would say the cutting one's self isn't the cry for attention, but the poem certainly is. And if they're actually cutting, it could be less of a cry for attention as it is for help. Cutting is serious and usually denotes a trauma survivor. No normal, happy person cuts themselves open to feel better.

I'm an 'older' guy at 24, so maybe I'm just not looking in the same places as you guys are, which is why I'm not seeing how cutting is glamorized. In any case, if you know someone who cuts, help them. They almost certainly need at least counciling. Be there for them and help nudge them in the right direction (without becoming a crutch yourself, of course). If you're a cutter, seek out help. Cutting is a temporary fix that won't work forever. To feel better in the long term you need help with the issues that make you cut in the first place. At every high school and college there are councilors to talk to you.

Bah, long post.

Newbie Naomi Vaine is off to a good start Naomi Vaine's Avatar
    Thanks

oh my god... people who cut themselves do it as a relief. they are not mentally ill. and I think it's rediculose for one to say such a thing. people who cut themselve have no way of letting out their pain. and most feel they should punish themselves for something they have done, or something somebody has done to them. it's like cigarettes. most people smoke to get rid of strees. does it mean they are some kind of sick freak because they are damaging their lungs? cutting is unhealthy. so is smoking. I dont have to tell you that. I'm just saying, it's not fair to judge somebody becasue they are hurting... it's not fair. I cut myself for 5 years straight. so I know first hand. I pulled out of cutting. I also did a little burning myself. all has stopped. but I dont classify myself as an outcast or a freak. it's just an unhealthy habbit. and yes, I am diffending the cutters. (though it is very harmful)
    I think I've known you all along.
    I just lost your face in the crowed for a while.
    I think I've been holding my breath all my life, until you found me here tonight.
    So ask me now and I'll run away with you.

Ecchi Enthusiast Classic Donkey Kong Champion, Balloon Bomber Champion, Fishing Impossible Champion, Festival Of History : Archery Champion, Dare Devil Champion, Little Monkey Does Champion, Dragon Champion, Barty Champion, Cheesy Champion, Chicken Attack Champion, Moo Lander Champion, Hang Stan Champion, Hangaroo Champion, Sentenced Champion, Canadair Champion Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444 may be famous one day Miroku4444's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Vaine View Post
    oh my god... people who cut themselves do it as a relief. they are not mentally ill. and I think it's ridiculously for one to say such a thing. people who cut themselves have no way of letting out their pain. and most feel they should punish themselves for something they have done, or something somebody has done to them. it's like cigarettes. most people smoke to get rid of strees. does it mean they are some kind of sick freak because they are damaging their lungs? cutting is unhealthy. so is smoking. I dont have to tell you that. I'm just saying, it's not fair to judge somebody because they are hurting... it's not fair. I cut myself for 5 years straight. so I know first hand. I pulled out of cutting. I also did a little burning myself. all has stopped. but I dont classify myself as an outcast or a freak. it's just an unhealthy habit. and yes, I am diffending the cutters. (though it is very harmful)
    When they said mentally ill, they didn't mean cutting makes you a full blown loony or crack pot. Rather cutting might be the start of a more serious mental condition, cause normal people just dont do this. And its a little different then smoking or other stress relievers like punching a bag or whatever. As bad as smoking is, its not considered in the same league as cutting or burning. As these acts come from a troubled individual. Smoking may kill you eventually, but cutting could do it instantly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast