Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Separation of Church and Work?

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Separation of Church and Work?

I never thought I'd start another religious debate ever again. However, I go to work everyday and I grow more and more uncomfortable with a good amount of my fellow co-workers. "Why?" You may ask. Here's why:

I go to work, I try to keep to myself for the most part--though I do have a few co-workers I'd consider to be friends. Anyway, there's a guy who works next to me who is a devout Baptist Christian and he and quite a few of my other co-workers like to preach their religion at my job. His brother works with us and they can't shut up about church, constantly claiming to be "on a higher spiritual plane than everyone else," but still being judgemental of everything and every one. Also, they know that I'm not a Christian. They know where I stand with my beliefs. Yet, when I come in to work and sit in my cube, one guy will say, "Praise the Lord, Sprout," to which I reply, "Whatever." Then he says, "You're SUPPOSED to say 'Praise the Lord'!!" I say again, "Whatever."

It's driving me mad! We couldn't pray in school, you can't mix church and state; so why are we allowed to force religion on each other at work?? It's not just the Christians either. I work with a Muslim Somali who--despite the fact that he may be unaware of his actions--will say things that just put dampers on my day regarding his religion. "Sprout, did you know that it's a sin against Allah to draw living beings such as humans and animals?" And he says this WHILE I'm drawing one of my manga characters!! It makes no sense to me where people get off pushing religion upon others. Everyone knows at my job I have no set faith and that I've been trying to follow more of a Zen way of life (Buddhism). But they don't really care. Since I have no god to use as a mental/spiritual crutch, I have to have people constantly tell me, "You need Jesus," or, "I'm praying for you." I'm quite sick of it.

Does anyone else here believe that it's wrong to preach religion at the work place? If so, why? Or if you believe it's okay, what are the reasons behind it?

*Discuss...*

Lady Barronmore Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna has become well known Arrianna's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Separation of Church and Work?

I am sorry to tell you this Sprout but what they are doing isn't preaching just being very, very, annoying. Every person has the right to believe what they want and to talk about it. That is what freedom of religion means, sorry.

The best I suggestion I can make is to actually learn a little about their religion and your own enough to respond in such a way that you express your own views, preferably without being just as annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by atomik_sprout View Post
    Yet, when I come in to work and sit in my cube, one guy will say, "Praise the Lord, Sprout," to which I reply, "Whatever." Then he says, "You're SUPPOSED to say 'Praise the Lord'!!" I say again, "Whatever."
    The correct response to this is "the bible says that liars get thrust down to hell." Well, you don't have to use that one but the point is to kindly remind him you don't believe in praising the lord but he can go right ahead and do it all he wants. "Whatever" is just being rude and blowing him off which, obviously, gets you no where.

"Sprout, did you know that it's a sin against Allah to draw living beings such as humans and animals?" And he says this WHILE I'm drawing one of my manga characters!!
    Well, since you said you are Zen (Bhuddist) just ask him to point out the Zen teaching that says that. Another approach would be to laugh and point out that all the Christians in the world must be in a lot of trouble then. ("Can I watch them being smitten?")

"You need Jesus," or, "I'm praying for you." I'm quite sick of it.
    ...and you say "thank you." If they mean it kindly then it's a compliment because it means they care about you. If they don't then refusing to rise to the bait will get you much further and defuse them at the same time.

Yes, it can be annoying when people insist on constantly bringing up subjects you are not interested in. Handled politely though and asking nicely can get you far. Just remember, for every annoying religious person you meet there is probably some annoying anime fan boy out there giving all of us a bad name with their bad Japanese and talking constantly in public to anyone and everyone about how great anything from Japan is. *shudders*

l Stone Hold l Now We're Cooking! l Thanks to Kaos for the awesome sig!

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I am Catholic as you two already know as I have said here god knows how many times. But any way, yes, I have my faith, how ever, I only talk about it if a person and I start talking and some how that comes up and say this is what I believe because blah blah blah and that’s the end of that with out pushing it onto the person. If not then I am back to work or what ever it is I am doing. I don't drag other people into it. I work full time as well, how ever I never had some one do that to me and annoy me with their faith, at least not in work, but it has happened with me many times on the street when I am walking around or some place in which case I just simply say to hello or good morning... To respond to what ever greeting they come to me with. If they are of different faith and preach to me about what they believe I simply tell them that I am Catholic. If they continue to press me I just tell them thank you but no thank you. In which case then they usually leave me alone.
    As for the badgering sorts like the people you have to deal with, remind them that Christianity wants its followers to be humble towards others and to be respectful. If they don't shut the hell up, at least tell them to leave you alone because they are distracting you from your work.
    "MY DEAR... I GIVE YOU THE CAPELLAN CONFEDERATION"
    AND THUS THE WAR WAS STARTED NOT BY GUN SHOT BUT BY WEDDING BELLS

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Also, if it is annoying you, what they are doing is called Harassment, and if you want it to stop, you can go to your superiors. From the sounds of it, you work at a corporation right? Most Corp.'s have policies about such things. I know Convergys did.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aceman67 For This Useful Post:

Scourge (Mar 16, 2009)

Poultry Projectile Cannon Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge is making a name for themselves Scourge's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    Also, if it is annoying you, what they are doing is called Harassment, and if you want it to stop, you can go to your superiors. From the sounds of it, you work at a corporation right? Most Corp.'s have policies about such things. I know Convergys did.
    Ace is right, tell them that if they keep it up you will take them to the dreaded HR. If that doesnt shut them up I don't know what will.

Banned aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67 has become well known aceman67's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    Ace is right, tell them that if they keep it up you will take them to the dreaded HR. If that doesnt shut them up I don't know what will.
    A write up and suspension?

Corperations are so jumping about keeping EVERYBODY happy that they will deal with this quickly. Simply for the fact that they can be sued for millions if something goes unchecked.

Thanks

Usually they give a warning first, then wright up and if it happens a third time then suspension. Thats what they do here.

Mathematical!! Bugz Champion, Ant Bully Champion, Chainsaw the childern Champion, 3D Net Blazer Champion, Cricket Challenge Champion, Big Uglies Champion, Body Check Champion, Desktop Fishing Champion, All Star Skate Park Champion, Chuckie Egg Champion, Birdy Champion, Anthrax Jelly Champion, Air Typer Champion, Word Pads Champion, Crash Test Dummy Curling Champion, The Mini Jump Game Champion, Chairlift Challenge Champion, Astroboy vs One Bad Storm Champion, Fight Man Champion, Blot In Hell Champion, Beeku Adventure Champion, Connect2 Champion, Atomica Champion, Cannonball Follies 2 Champion, Bada Boing Champion, BeachDefence Champion, Alkie Kong 2 Champion atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout has become well known atomik_sprout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arrianna View Post
    I am sorry to tell you this Sprout but what they are doing isn't preaching just being very, very, annoying. Every person has the right to believe what they want and to talk about it. That is what freedom of religion means, sorry.

The best I suggestion I can make is to actually learn a little about their religion and your own enough to respond in such a way that you express your own views, preferably without being just as annoying.

The correct response to this is "the bible says that liars get thrust down to hell." Well, you don't have to use that one but the point is to kindly remind him you don't believe in praising the lord but he can go right ahead and do it all he wants. "Whatever" is just being rude and blowing him off which, obviously, gets you no where.

Well, since you said you are Zen (Bhuddist) just ask him to point out the Zen teaching that says that. Another approach would be to laugh and point out that all the Christians in the world must be in a lot of trouble then. ("Can I watch them being smitten?")

...and you say "thank you." If they mean it kindly then it's a compliment because it means they care about you. If they don't then refusing to rise to the bait will get you much further and defuse them at the same time.

Yes, it can be annoying when people insist on constantly bringing up subjects you are not interested in. Handled politely though and asking nicely can get you far. Just remember, for every annoying religious person you meet there is probably some annoying anime fan boy out there giving all of us a bad name with their bad Japanese and talking constantly in public to anyone and everyone about how great anything from Japan is. *shudders*
    But I was RAISED in a Christian family, went to confirmation, Sunday School, attended god knows how many retreats and have gone to bible camp religiously until high school. I don't need to learn about something I've been educated on my entire life. And replying with other semi-religious thoughts/phrases will put me smack-dab in the middle of a religious debate at work. I save those arguments for AO, LOL.

No, seriously though. I can understand that people have the right to discuss their religion freely. I'm not sayin' they can't. I'm sayin' put some boundaries up. Be polite. If you know what the other person believes/practices, don't try to pawn your religion off on that person. If they blow you off, it's for a good reason, is it not? I've stated several times at work how I feel about religion, yet these people feel the need to "peer pressure" me in to their bible-talk. I'm not hatin', just sayin' that if I made it quite clear that I want nothing to do with it, "Praise the Lord," or, "You need Jesus," is not the correct response. I don't tell other people that they need to meditate or that they're choice in religion is wrong. That would make me wrong and it would make me a bad person. Not sayin' they are, however... Can't people get a hint? The congregation at the church I was raised in know of my beliefs and respect them; why can't other Christians follow suit (Muslims too!)?

Quote Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
    I know, I know; but I'm not tryin' to make a big ordeal over the matter at work. I figure I'll save the harassment complaint for when somebody touches my booty, LOL. It's not worth my time getting someone fired because they wanted to "save" me. But at the same time, if they won't stop then I will speak up and at least make a threat of filing a complaint. That'll shut 'em up. I just feel like if you're working in a cultural melting pot that you gotta put up boundaries for yourself. Besides, I'm a big boy. I can deal with it without getting my supervisors involved.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast