+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Bill

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

The Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Bill

I'm not too sure how many artists there are on this forum. But of those who are, you should be aware of the Orphan Works Bill.

This bill is attempting to take the rights away from artists by forcing them register EVERY piece of artwork that they make. This means that for every doodle, snapshot, etc that an artist makes.. they will have to pay for it to be registered. If it does not get registered, you artwork will become orphaned and be up for grabs by anyone who wants to use it.

You can find more information here:
    IPA - ORPHAN WORKS RESOURCE PAGE FOR ARTISTS

What sort of rights do you think an artist should/should not have?

I'm interested in what people here have to say. Even if you don't make art, this bill may effect you.

But I do doubt that this bill will pass.. because culture relies on artists and it could result in a strike.
    Last edited by Sazuka; May 01, 2008 at 03:23 PM.

Banned Monkey Jump Champion, Karts Champion, Stagedive Dewy Champion, Harry Potter: The Marauder`s Map Champion, Weasley Breakfast Champion, Grand Slam Shredder Champion, Moon Skate Champion, Field Goal FootBall Champion, DodgeBall Champion, Gasbag Smackdown Champion, Makai Hockey Champion, Monkey Nut Champion, The Ordinary Boys Champion, Traffic Control Champion, Roving Reporter Champion, Prawn Of The Dead Champion, Sky Fire Champion, Musical Lantern Champion, Master Qwan,s Mahjongg Champion, Master Mahjongg Champion, Mahjongg: Alchemy Champion, Flash Tiles Champion, Mahjongg 3D Champion, Mahjongg 2 Champion, Mahjongg Fast Champion, Stupid Space Shooting Race Game Champion The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day The GunGrave of Trigun may be famous one day
    Thanks

Re: The Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Bill

That is dumb they are making people pay money for them to do that they should just do that because its the right thing.

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

Why propose this bill in the first place? What do they hope ta accomplish wit this bill? I don' think that'll work 'cause it's a violation of artists' (like myself) constitutional rights. I hope that Congress is too smart ta allow such a bill ta pass.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Railgun Assimilate Champion Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka may be famous one day Sazuka's Avatar
    Thanks

They're addressing the fact that there is a lot of artwork out there to which the artist is "anonymous". They want to make this orphaned artwork available for distribution and public use. But as a result, the bill will force the registration by an artist in order for the work to be ideally copyrighted.

Here's an interview of Brain Holland (a famous illustrator) with some information:
    http://www.sellyourtvconceptnow.com/...nformation.mp3

Devoted Otaku gamemaster331 is off to a good start gamemaster331's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds to me like just another way to make money. Does that mean that everyone who does any art whatsoever has to register it. What about kids in school? Or even kids in Bible school?

Mage of Eternity Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage is making a name for themselves Joe Mage's Avatar
    Thanks

This bill still sounds fishy ta me, I don' like it. I hope that this bill will die 'fore it gets off the ground. This bill is ridiculous, it makes me angry that some1 would use such a deceptive ploy ta make money, off of artists, the easy way.

Sanity doesn't exist, it's just an excuse cooked up by crazy people to justify their actions. My myspace page: www.myspace.com/joemage

Thanks

What really sucks is that you have to register your art in more than one registry. All of the registries are going to be privately owned and spanning across the country. If you do know someone who infringes your copyright, if they perform a "reasonably diligent search" through registries, and still don't find it... you can't really sue them.

But what's a "reasonably diligent search"? Searching 10/1000?

Thanks

Yeah, I downloaded that broadcast and heard what was said. WTF? U mean that all they have ta do is prove that they did a "diligent search" in order ta rip off my art and there's isn' a thing I can do 'bout it. Not ta mention the ridiculousness over havin' ta register "every single piece" of artwork that I create, jus' ta protect it. That's added expense that I can' afford. Then on top of that, if some1 does rip off my artwork; it's my responsibility ta find out who did it and prove that they did it illegally. That I haveta constantly check my registered artwork ta make sure that no one is usin' it illegally. The question that I have is this, If I haveta do that; when am I gonna have time ta do my artwork in the first place?! And what's this crap 'bout art belongin' ta the community? Jus' 'cause an artist might b inspired by some1 else's work doesn' mean that his/hers artwork isn' his/hers. That one professor's got his marbles messed up, "major league," if he truly believes that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast